Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to start my 2004 f250 I have to wait about 5-10 seconds before I can even think about starting it. When I have the door open and turn the key after waiting for a few seconds I can hear what sounds like some kind of vent closing and after I hear that it will crank and start. Sometimes it will just crank and crank and I will have to repeat the process of just turning the key and waiting for that noise a couple of times and after that it runs just fine like it should with no idle issues or anything as long as I can make it past the starting stage. I'm fairly new to diesels this is my first diesel truck and this doesn't seem to be a huge turnoff for me but it is getting kind of annoying at times.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,870 Posts
still have a functional egr system?
if so, your egr throttle plate may be sticking.

one of the best things for an owner is to get a scan tool so that you can retrieve codes. ForScan Lite can be downloaded to a smartphone for $5, and an OBDII adapter can be had for as little as $40.

codes are a big help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still have a functional egr system?
if so, your egr throttle plate may be sticking.

one of the best things for an owner is to get a scan tool so that you can retrieve codes. ForScan Lite can be downloaded to a smartphone for $5, and an OBDII adapter can be had for as little as $40.

codes are a big help.
the guy I bought the truck from had the egr cooler and almost everything else under the hood but the head gaskets and engine replaced back in 2018 but ill have to get a scanner to see if any codes are showing up

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Do you should here the fuel pump cycle each time you turn the key on?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Really do need a scanner like mentioned to diagnose this. Otherwise its just guessing or throwing money or parts at a problem. If you want I’ll check the Magic 8 Ball that randomly generates a part for you to change. 2% chance that its right!!

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,870 Posts
People sure seem to ignore the advice to get a scan tool. Unfortunately it is common on all the forums.

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I want to add the Magic 8-Ball to my signature block to help with trouble shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts