Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across the scales with a 16ft car trailer and my 99 F350 2wd 4dr dually and the weight came up at 9280. which confuses me since my GVWR is 11200 lbs. and the trailer probably weighs atleast 1800 makes my weight at 7480.
So why do they put the GVWR so high? I dont see me putting 3k in the bed of my truck.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
GVWR is the max your truck should way fully loaded. Not how much it ways empty. So they are talking full of people fuel and payload.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GVWR is the max your truck should way fully loaded. Not how much it ways empty. So they are talking full of people fuel and payload.
I know that. But I know for a fact that I'm not putting almost 3k worth of weight in the bed of my truck. And the total today was with a full tank of fuel and two people inside weighing around 350.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
3k isn't that much. I put 2000 in the back of my F250 all the time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone think they are raising the GVWR on the doors to keep people from hotshot driving to make sure CDL's are required. I went to the Tenn. DMV and asked if I needed a CDL if my truck and trailer were under 26k and they said NO, Then I ask about the 10k trailer part and their response was that rule ONLY applys to 26,001 and over pulling a trailer to split the A and B CDL's

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Subscribed for interest in dpt's last post.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
just think if you had a crew cab long bed with 2 pallets of block in the bed. i bet your at or over your gvwr. mine passed the scales at 7350 with my tank topped off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you also think about pulling a gooseneck trailer with a tongue weight of 2,200lbs plus 4 adults at 200lbs a piece you are already there.

As far as the CDL goes, DPT has it correct. As long as your registered GCVW (Gross Combination Vehicle Weight) isn"t more than 26,000lbs you do not need a CDL. If you are registered for less than that and get asked to scale and show over that then you will get multiple tickets for overweight and improper license in most states. I have my 350 registered at 18,000 because pulling 10k lbs is about all I will ever see even though I have had my Class A CDL for 8 years now. It is cheaper for me to register at that weight so I don't see any reason to bump it higher, but I can if needed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As far as the CDL goes, DPT has it correct. As long as your registered GCVW (Gross Combination Vehicle Weight) isn"t more than 26,000lbs you do not need a CDL.
What your registered weight is has nothing to do with needing a CDL or not.

CDL requirements are based off of GVWR and combined GVWR.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I ran across the scales with a 16ft car trailer and my 99 F350 2wd 4dr dually and the weight came up at 9280. which confuses me since my GVWR is 11200 lbs. and the trailer probably weighs atleast 1800 makes my weight at 7480.
So why do they put the GVWR so high? I dont see me putting 3k in the bed of my truck.
It can happen... I've had 6K of gravel in the back of my dually, (which had me over wt (lic is for 15K) at about 16K) and can regularly under normal curcumstances have 2K to 3K of stuff in the back... heck, I haul a 275 gallon water tank in my F250, that's over a ton right there...

·
Registered
270 Posts
So that is with no load on the trailer?

Frankly you are pulling a trailer that could be pulled with a half ton. Hook even a moderately sized gooseneck on and you could easily put 3k+ of tongue weight on your truck. 14k GN x 25% = 3500 TW.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Does anyone think they are raising the GVWR on the doors to keep people from hotshot driving to make sure CDL's are required. I went to the Tenn. DMV and asked if I needed a CDL if my truck and trailer were under 26k and they said NO, Then I ask about the 10k trailer part and their response was that rule ONLY applys to 26,001 and over pulling a trailer to split the A and B CDL's
It has nothing to do with hotshotting and CDL. Most haulers are going to have enouigh trailer to put them into CDL territory wether the trucks GVWR is on the light side or the heavier side.

If anything the manufactuers want to keep the under CDL. But either way it depends on the trailer so they can't do anything about it.

Saying that a 10k trailer splits As from Bs is kind of misleading too. Over 10k trailer might split the As from the Cs or the As from the Ds. It just depends.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told by the DMV and the DOT that as long as my truck and trailer GVWR are UNDER 26,000 then no CDL. My truck has a GVWR of 11,200 the trailer has a GVWR of 14,000 hince 25,200 NO CDL.
The 10,000 GVWR of the trailer ONLY applys to veh. over 26,001 GVWR

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^Thats interesting to know...

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I was told by the DMV and the DOT that as long as my truck and trailer GVWR are UNDER 26,000 then no CDL. My truck has a GVWR of 11,200 the trailer has a GVWR of 14,000 hince 25,200 NO CDL.
The 10,000 GVWR of the trailer ONLY applys to veh. over 26,001 GVWR
I have also been told this by DOT guys I was talking to... chatted them up at the local Arby's on their lunch break.

There also seems to be some a diffrence in the eyes of the DOT as to personal use, and comercial use... as in, if I use my company truck, with lettering and phone number on it, to tow a trailer for work reasons, then I'd better be less than 26K... and have DOT #'s if the truck it'self is over 10K... but in some cases, if marked 'Not for hire', you can go over the 26K limit without needing CDL's or DOT #'s. There is also exemptions for agricutural use, so if you're a hay farmer using a semi and trailer to haul your own hay to your own barn for your own use, you might not need CDL's.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I have also been told this by DOT guys I was talking to... chatted them up at the local Arby's on their lunch break.

There also seems to be some a diffrence in the eyes of the DOT as to personal use, and comercial use... as in, if I use my company truck, with lettering and phone number on it, to tow a trailer for work reasons, then I'd better be less than 26K... and have DOT #'s if the truck it'self is over 10K... but in some cases, if marked 'Not for hire', you can go over the 26K limit without needing CDL's or DOT #'s. There is also exemptions for agricutural use, so if you're a hay farmer using a semi and trailer to haul your own hay to your own barn for your own use, you might not need CDL's.
Thats interesting. I wonder if NYS has the same views on things of such matters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got a new trailer (well new to me) it's a 36ft wedge. I weighed the truck with a full tank of fuel, new weight is 11,440

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Weight with truck and trailer?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts