Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Powerstroke.org will be migrated to our new platform. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

We will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~Community Support

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
It is awful to navigate

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I'm a little confused. The message says you'll keep us updated on an alternative roll out schedule, but when it the primary rollout scheduled?

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,651 Posts
I agree with @ZMANN if you make it like the disaster at the Nation it'll be over. That "upgrade" sucks

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
Here is a demo vid of the software -- just realized this is a 2014 vid -- need to search for a newer one

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
As I mentioned in the 6.0 Chat thread XenForo is a terrific platform, but it is only as good as its implementation. Many sights just do a bare minimum to get it up and running, then let everyone fend for themselves in an incomplete, semi-hostile environment that they have absolutely no control over.

The best implementation I have seen is at AudioKarma.org, however it took many months to get it smooth and polished. One of the best things they did was to create a "New Format" forum where communication could be had directly between members and Administration. IT staff could create dedicated threads to specific problems and work with members to get them worked out. There were also threads created by members who could bring up issues that Admin might not be aware of.

I guess what I am saying is that to have a great website is going to take some effort on both sides of the coin. Just shoving a new format down our throats will probably have a mostly negative impact, however working together to make a great site can do exactly that. The key takeaways are a much faster more streamlined sight that will play 1000% better with your phone. Just remember that it ain't gonna happen overnight and there will be issues for a while no matter what. Look at it as a cost of technology.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's common practice from site design to not pushout a site until the back end work is complete. Remember that admins...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,196 Posts
As a moderator here, I can tell you they have been working on this for some time. I don't know all the details of the "behind the scenes" stuff and hopefully, they have a lot it figured out. We'll see how the roll-out goes.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
484 Posts
Will the site still be accessible through Tapatalk? JW

·
Registered
72 Posts
Totally agree , the change sucks. Makes me not even want to go to the site anymore. Dieselstop is the same way.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Will the site still be accessible through Tapatalk? JW
It took a couple weeks for PSN to start working on tapatalk after the change but it appears to work fine now
I like it better on tapatalk

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
484 Posts
It took a couple weeks for PSN to start working on tapatalk after the change but it appears to work fine now
I like it better on tapatalk

Awesome, thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Hello all,

Yes, the community will be moving to the same format as powerstrokenation.com next month and we will be here to help answer any questions.

Jeff M

IMHO.

I’m just one guy who likes PS diesels, and pursues the various threads here and reads them for my own personal interest. Every now and then I’ll chime in, but usually just keep out of it, and try to learn something new as I can.

But, I gotta tell you, that PSN format is not the same to use as this. Quite frankly, I just don’t use it, it is not organized like this site, hard to navigate, and personally have no interest in learning yet another upgrade for something that appears to work well.

This site is so simple. Don’t know what is driving the changes, maybe it is unusable on your side, but from where I am, as just one user, this site is a heck of a lot better than any other new site I’ve seen.

Good luck with it,
Best,

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.