Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
13261 - 13280 of 13320 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
yea i am totally anal about the 5k limit i was raised every 3 k or you dont drive the car...
of course that was on conventional.
fired up the truck a few minutes ago and the oil temp was 36...hate the idea of going with a 15-40 when its this damn cold ...
i did a double change so now its easy every 5 k on the odometer 190 being next if i remember right :D
This 3k & 5K oil change must be something that our father's taught us. Way back when, my dad did everything at 2K. If you were going somewhere and you'd be over 2K before you got back, change the oil before you leave! I'm still stuck on 3K changes with my 7.3L, and I'm still a fan of Rotella 15w40 year round.

It took me a long time to convince myself that 5K was OK on the gas burners. Finally several years of seeing the abuse that the CHP vehicles go through and never in 25 years did I see an engine failure, I decided if they can do it, so can I.

·
Premium Member
20,005 Posts
no idea how i missed this post. seems like stuff loads after the fact on my end here... :tard:
anyways glad they aint broke but even bruised ribs are no joke it can take forever for ribs to heal so be careful of yourself for a couple months at least!
my wife cracked a rib sneezing this summer and then with evacuations and everything else going on in our crazy world she is still not fully healed :(
How much pepper did you use on the salad to get your wife to sneeze that hard??? HAHAHAHAHA

This 3k & 5K old change must be something that our father's taught us. Way back when, my dad did everything at 2K. If you were going somewhere and you'd be over 2K before you got back, change the oil before you leave! I'm still stuck on 3K changes with my 7.3L, and I'm still a fan of Rotella 15w40 year round.

It took me a long time to convince myself that 5K was OK on the gas burners. Finally several years of seeing the abuse that the CHP vehicles go through and never in 25 years did I see an engine failure, I decided if they can do it, so can I.
Your dad sounds like mine. 3k was the around town standard, but, like your dad, if the car would be over during a trip, it got changed early. Same with tire rotations. If the car would be over 5K before we got back, he and I would rotate the tires too. AND check EVERY fluid a car had.

Reactions: john galt and sd2ca

·
california deplorable
11,422 Posts
oh yea oil change and fluid check change depending before any trip over a hundred miles... .
living more than a hundred miles from everything round trip has made me revisit that part but ...
and yea my dad beat it into me about oil changes being a religion 🤣

·
california deplorable
11,422 Posts
most of you know we have our little storm that we love.
we had one years ago that began life as our sons car. we finally gave it to our grandson who wound up selling it to tweakers who thought they were mechanics and paint experts :doh:
so our son wound up buying the car back and gave it to our grand daughter who was a baby in that car.
he has a new motor and trans for it but no time to deal and no room for it right now.
so here it sits 🤣
down side is its not running due to some bizzare wiring experiments the tweakers did while they had it.
so i got to break out the recovery gear i have accumulated over the last couple years but not tested yet...
wel...it works great.
dragged that little car into a spot we cleared for it and it sits there happy out of the way and covered with last nights snow fall. and all is right with the world :D

Reactions: sd2ca

·
Premium Member
11,047 Posts
Well seeing some inlaws south of Chico soon. Whats the deal with CA? I haven't been back in maybe 2 yrs lol? Will I be masking up everywhere and paying $5 a gallon for diesel? I was gonna drive the 4dr Jeep but im just more familiar and comfortable with the truck since its been on the journey 5 times before.

·
california deplorable
11,422 Posts
Masking up? Not me or even most around here
5 bucks a gallon...too damn near.
Fill anything you have to carry extra fuel prior to crossing the iron curtain

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,047 Posts
Great to hear not as bad as I was expecting. I wanted to take the 4dr Jeep but im just more comfortable with the truck and the canopy over the bed allows way more room in the cab haha. I have some 5 gal scepter MFCs so i'll bring them and pre-fill just in case. Thanks again for the confirmations.

·
Premium Member
20,005 Posts
Well seeing some inlaws south of Chico soon. Whats the deal with CA? I haven't been back in maybe 2 yrs lol? Will I be masking up everywhere and paying $5 a gallon for diesel? I was gonna drive the 4dr Jeep but im just more familiar and comfortable with the truck since its been on the journey 5 times before.
Masks: It's kind of weird. Some areas are sticklers with the masks, other places not so much. I would suggest have one with you and 'recon the surroundings' to see what the regulars are doing.
Diesel: Ummm....yeah....pretty near $5/gal depending on where you are. Although, there are hints it may be dropping, but probably not significantly, especially with Holiday travel. Prepare for $5, if you get it cheaper, be happy! 😃

Went to Sparks this weekend to visit our SIL/Daughter. It was 19° Friday night. Cooler than we're used to. Didn't rain or snow while we were there, but yesterday, we drove into the snow @ the CA/NV border. Snowing heavier by time we got to the Inspection Station @ Truckee. Had to go through the CalTrans Check point. I got waved through because of the 4x4. The worst of it was @ Donner Summit (7239') was more powder and a bit slushy. The truck did great! Once we got down to 4000' on the western slope, we got out of the snow to just rain. We could speed up then. Not too bad of an adventure. I don't how they got by with it, but there were a couple of cars trying to summit without chains and they were slippin' and slidin' around, holding up traffic to boot.

·
california deplorable
11,422 Posts
Great to hear not as bad as I was expecting. I wanted to take the 4dr Jeep but im just more comfortable with the truck and the canopy over the bed allows way more room in the cab haha. I have some 5 gal scepter MFCs so i'll bring them and pre-fill just in case. Thanks again for the confirmations.
yea you should be fine fuell in town is 470 last i saw costco in sparks is 389...guess where i fill up?
and some places are stupid about masks but it seems to be more of a by store basis most places i go local dont use them at all only exception the healthfood store 🤣 go figure
i wouldnt visit the grey area for anything but i expect chico is fairly "normal" at this point.
i have a cloth neck gator type thing i forget the name of, and use it it breathes better than the stupid paper egr masks and the only place that wants me to use their stoopid impacted paper masks is the hospital. so avoid those and you should be fine. honestly with bye dunce play president and screwing things up it seems that more people are waking up to the idiocy of idiocracy than anything else. :D

Masks: It's kind of weird. Some areas are sticklers with the masks, other places not so much. I would suggest have one with you and 'recon the surroundings' to see what the regulars are doing.
Diesel: Ummm....yeah....pretty near $5/gal depending on where you are. Although, there are hints it may be dropping, but probably not significantly, especially with Holiday travel. Prepare for $5, if you get it cheaper, be happy! 😃

Went to Sparks this weekend to visit our SIL/Daughter. It was 19° Friday night. Cooler than we're used to. Didn't rain or snow while we were there, but yesterday, we drove into the snow @ the CA/NV border. Snowing heavier by time we got to the Inspection Station @ Truckee. Had to go through the CalTrans Check point. I got waved through because of the 4x4. The worst of it was @ Donner Summit (7239') was more powder and a bit slushy. The truck did great! Once we got down to 4000' on the western slope, we got out of the snow to just rain. We could speed up then. Not too bad of an adventure. I don't how they got by with it, but there were a couple of cars trying to summit without chains and they were slippin' and slidin' around, holding up traffic to boot.
donner summit is a nightmare on any given weekend in a storm. i try to avoid it like the plague of bay area tards it is but with all the fires and subsequent slides its kinda the only way out of the eastern sierras right now.
i have seen more stupid stuff on donner than everywhere else combined and i am from Tahoe!
also be aware that you may wind up stuck over night at anytime so the truck rigged to sleep comfortably would be a good factor but i doubt you will have to contend with donner going to chico. just know 70 is out if you wish to head this way.
i got caught back in the 80's after picking up my ex girlfriend at the time from the bay (because we had to import women back in the day) anyway i had my cb going and there were big rigs sharing a set of chains to get paast chain control going through pulling them and running them back to someone else to get through the control...
surprise surprise one of them went off the road jackknifed and block 80 over night.
i had spare gloves food hot buttered rum for adults and hot chocolate for kids some of whom had parents dumb enough to llet them play in the snow without gloves resulting in frost bite camp stoves to warm water for their hands fresh towels and gloves for after probably saved a few children the use of their hands later on and the hot chocolate and hot buttered rums were a hit with those stuck around us...i broke out the beef stew for dinner had enough to share some and basically worked to save feed and eduacate about 25 flat landers on the fact that the mountains are not in fact disneyand and yes the donner party was a real incident and not just a tourist attraction.

most of this is aimed at Justin and not Darryl as i suspect you guys have already figured but Darryl...you mentioned i80 and the summit... so ... sorry :D

oh one more story about bay people in the mountains on donner just because...
i am running four wheel drive four studded snows with chains in a blizzard... not many out on the road as it was a tuesday if i remember right anyway its dark snowing like crazy i am doing about 40 to 45 fast lane and not a worry on earth...until i see something starting to matterialize in front of me...and then OH CHIT!!!!!!!!
some guy in his grey mercedes stopped in the fast lane because "that was where it was plowed" no lights on laying under his car trying to figure out his snow chains! i was able to swerve and miss his legs by about 3 inches!!!
draggeed his dumb arse to the side of the road and got his chains on for him but i almost felt i was working against natural selection by doing so...

·
Premium Member
20,005 Posts
We haven't gone over Donner too much in the past, but now that my SIL/Daughter live in Sparks, we'll be making the trip more often. Hopefully, not too many times in a storm. I am grateful for yesterday as most people were responsible and keeping their speed down and rolling with traffic. There were a couple of vehicles that felt they needed to go faster. AND, of course, they moved from one side of the road to the other to go around this car or that car. Fortunately, we didn't see anyone in a snowbank or in a ditch. I've driven in the snow from time-to-time, but not an expert by any stretch. But I figure if I keep my wits about me and my head of a swivel, I should 'ok.'

·
Premium Member
11,047 Posts
The only pass im kind of worried about it Shasta right now. I do have a ******* sleeping pad since the supercab rear seat folds into a child size platform. (Dog will be up front though its way to small for his butt and mind lol) I'll have couple days worth of water and food and a good ole mr buddy heater and 10 gallons of extra diesel. Also being less than an hour from Canada I carry real tire chains vs whatever these new cable systems are for cars. Haven't needed them in a few years but got them on and re-practiced getting them positioned and tightened. I'll be honest though I usually just over prepare, drive easy, pray before leaving and have had some close calls with other people sliding around and animals but figured my truck would take a hit from someone else better than the jeep or the wifes subaru so it may be worth the extra fuel for a week who knows lol?

My BFG at lo2s still have 12/32s tread and plenty of the factory siping left too and these have been great for me in the winter last couple of years.

I am debating about bringing the 20gal bbq propane tank vs 3-4 of those tiny little ones. They didn't last long even on low from what I can remember.

·
Premium Member
11,047 Posts
looking at weather cams in Oregon I may take the highway 395 south from Idaho through Orego to Burns instead of 97 to Bend Oregon. 395 would only be two more hours but the cams for 97 look NASTY.... I may save more time taking that route but either way i'll be able to pull over just about anywhere if need be. Appreciate the words of wisdom and hopefully i'll have some cool pics so the trip there and back.

·
Premium Member
20,005 Posts
looking at weather cams in Oregon I may take the highway 395 south from Idaho through Orego to Burns instead of 97 to Bend Oregon. 395 would only be two more hours but the cams for 97 look NASTY.... I may save more time taking that route but either way i'll be able to pull over just about anywhere if need be. Appreciate the words of wisdom and hopefully i'll have some cool pics so the trip there and back.
Both routes are plowed pretty well, so I think you'd be good either way. Keep an eye on the weather and road cams up to departure. Depending on weather, things may change between then and now.

·
california deplorable
11,422 Posts
back when i was doing satellite jobs i got sent all over the place and there was one storm that was crazy wind and snow and on my way to burns i did something i had never done before....
i said screw this and turned around....
problem was the wind was so nasty it had glazed the road snow into wind burned ice like it does in wyoming on that pass heading into jackson hole, forget the name of the pass right now, but i was in a my truck studded snows 8 foot bed loaded to the roof of the high top shell and getting blown sideways off the road at 5 mph...i wouldnt have gotten there until the storm cleared anyways...
but that is my most memorable trip through is it 267 up there that runs from susanville to k falls?
anyways here it was saying break in the storm starting at 1pm might be best to try to pan drive times for breaks in the storm?
probably most places arte going to be fine but we did get pounded here i am sure donner is astounding right now and most points north...in fact i was getting on here to check traffic cams and satellite but computer crashed and i just got it back up and it opened to the org so :D

·
Premium Member
11,047 Posts
I found a website called tripcheck and Oregon has a bunch of live road cams. UGH the in-laws have been making me anxious about this trip when I've done it 20 times+ in the last 10 years lol. I do have a bad habit of over-analyzing stuff and sometimes you just gotta do it and enjoy it. leaving this afternoon and should be in Bend OR this evening. My buddy flying from Florida to look at an old chevy 6.5 diesel ambulence converted into a camping rig. Hes been planning the pan am american trail and had a dodge diesel and a restored alaskan camper that has been nothing but problems. So gonna meet him in Redmond to take a look, and stay in Bend till Wednesday afternoon. You'll know im in CA when the green f250 with a bright red canopy rolls into town smelling like freedom with ACDC's highway to he*& playing lol.

·
Premium Member
20,005 Posts
Tripcheck is a great site. We used it a lot when our daughter was married to her first husband (14 years ago) and living in Bend. Grandkids still live there so we use Tripcheck when we go up to visit them or attend their school functions.
Be safe Justin - enjoy the ride......and the music!!

BTW - California went back to a mask mandate through January. But is appears a lot of places are saying they won't enforce it. So...be prepared.

Reactions: john galt and sd2ca

·
Premium Member
20,005 Posts
Doc says X-ray doesn't show anything broke....just badly bruised the muscle tissue around the ribs. Uncomfortable, but good for a couple days off to recover using sick leave :)
Afternoon Neil!! How are you doing? Has the bruising and soreness gone away? Hope you're doing WAY better.

Reactions: sd2ca and john galt

·
Registered
831 Posts
Afternoon Neil!! How are you doing? Has the bruising and soreness gone away? Hope you're doing WAY better.
Thanks for asking. Doing much better. It doesn't hurt to sneeze or cough anymore. If I push on the ribs or lay on my right side, I can feel that they aren't 100% healed yet, but darn close to it.

·
Premium Member
11,047 Posts
Never ever ever take highway 395 from Idaho then go south through Oregon lol…. Never in my life have I spent so much time in 4x4 going 15-20mph up and down passes through national parks and in and around. Ugh… I left at 5pm and got stranded in Ukiah Oregon so spent the night there. Then about 5am the next day left and didn’t get to Maryaville till 10:30pm…. Nothing but snow and ice and wow hahaha. Couldn’t go above 35-45mph for 90% of the drive south of Ukiah. Then once hit Quincy couldn’t go more than 15-20mph due to the snow and people stuck all over the road. Due to an accident got re-rooted to highway 44 and took that to Redding. Highway 44 could t see 5ft in front of yourself.

Next time just go 97 like 99% of people do lol.
Anyways that’s my rant for seeing the in-laws in CA lol. Glad to be off the road for a few days.

ps my 7.3l may be an old truck but she did Very good compared to the hundred of people that were either stuck or got turned about by CHP and whatever other agencies were out there

·
california deplorable
11,422 Posts
Chance of Freezing Fog
Partly cloudy with areas of freezing fog. Lows around 13°F. Wind chill values as low as 3°F. North northeast wind to 7 MPH, gusting to 12 MPH.
Friday Dec 17
Chance of Freezing Fog
Day: Partly cloudy with areas of freezing fog. Highs around 34°F. Wind chill values as low as 3°F. East northeast wind to 9 MPH, gusting to 14 MPH.
Partly Cloudy
Night: Partly cloudy. Lows around 12°F. Wind chill values as low as 4°F. East northeast wind to 7 MPH, gusting to 12 MPH.
Saturday Dec 18
Partly Cloudy
Day: Partly cloudy. Highs around 39°F. Wind chill values as low as 5°F. East wind to 5 MPH.
Partly Cloudy
Night: Partly cloudy. Lows around 19°F. Light wind.

last few mornings when i start my truck the oil temps are in the 20's
i gotta be honest....i'm kinda over it 🤣

13261 - 13280 of 13320 Posts