Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

13061 - 13080 of 13128 Posts

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
i would probably be fully healed if i could take a couple days off...just too much to get done around here...

Reactions: Got Dirt?

·
Registered
750 Posts
i would probably be fully healed if i could take a couple masks off...just too much to get drone around here...
There....fixed it for ya.......;)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Been busy - not on puter. Found an interesting paramotor/drone vid - really nice fpv drone piloting.....

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
@Got Dirt? - Nice Vid!! Both knew how to fly - that's for sure.
Question Joe? What's the diameter of the lines that run between the paramotor and the kite? I see there are a lot of them.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ahhhh!!!! Fun question there, Darryl!!!! Thanks!!!

The lines on a paraglider vary in length, composition, and diameter. On my wing, it ranges from 0.9mm to 2.3mm - small I know but super strong!!! They are usually made from dyneema, kevlar or combinations of other materials such as nylon. Mine are made from dyneema and something called Technora (Technora was combined with Kevlar "making up the parachute that was used to perform a braking manoeuvre during atmospheric entry of the Perseverance rover that landed on Mars on February 18, 2021"; borrowed from Wikipedia)

Some lines are sheathed; some are "naked". As usual there are advantages/disadvantages to both. Some wings have both. Wing tech has vastly advanced in the last 20 years. The engineering is quite amazing actually (and fun!)

Cool photo of a friend over Otay Lakes, San Diego!!! Check out the cascading lines!!!!!!

Click For Full-Size Image.

Reactions: john galt

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
Are all the wing lines on there by color or is that just his wing? Do the colors mean something like red is one diameter, yellow a different one?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Some wing manufacturers use colored sheaths which add protection and helps the pilot identify the groups of lines. Lines are grouped, forward to aft. Usually, the front row (called the A's) are red in color. That helps the pilot know which lines to pull in order to control the wing. Wings are called 2, 3, or 4 liners, depending on how many rows of line they have.

Natural dyneema and kevlar have a yellowish tan color. Unsheathed lines have less drag which is important to certain types of flying. Sometimes the sheathing can hide damaged lines (the inside may be compromised and you wouldn't know it without a more cursory inspection).

Disclaimer: The views expressed here are my own and may not be at all factual - they just sound good and to the unknowing I'm a frickin' genius!!! j/k

Keep sending questions - this is fun!

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
Oh boy - I woke Joe up! 🤣🤣🤣 J/K! I am soooo unknowning so you definitely sound like a frickin' genius to me!!!

Okay - next round flyboy! How far are you hanging below the wing in flight? I take it from the pic above the straps are what attach to the paramotor? Is the orange line through the pulley the control line for steering?

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
Oh boy - I woke Joe up! 🤣🤣🤣 J/K! I am soooo unknowning so you definitely sound like a frickin' genius to me!!!

Okay - next round flyboy! How far are you hanging below the wing in flight? I take it from the pic above the straps are what attach to the paramotor? Is the orange line through the pulley the control line for steering?
that was my thought as well
but i am an old fat grounded guy who thinks joe sounds like a genius myself so... :ROFLMAO:

and joe that was an amazing video. and the pic of your buddy is damn impressive as well.
i think i will stick to working on getting my drone in the air soon...
but it looks like a blast...if i hadn't destroyed my back etc

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
Okay this an "Inspecting the wing / lines for $200" question - Fixed wing pilots inspect their aircraft before each flight. Is there any requirement for you to do a pre-flight inspection each time? Do you have to have a log book to show your flight time and/or inspections of your wing and its lines pre-flight? If not, how often 'should' you inspect them?

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
but i am an old fat grounded guy who thinks joe sounds like a genius myself so... :ROFLMAO:

and joe that was an amazing video. and the pic of your buddy is damn impressive as well.
@john galt - I'm also good with my "aerial" feet on the ground. Beside that, I don't think the make a paramotor that has enough thrust to get my lard-butt off the ground. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Lucy! ---- I got a lot of splaining to do!!!!

Next time I have the wing out, will have to take a measurement - I don't want to guess and be way off!!! Yes, that line through the pulley is the brake line and it is used for a few different things including steering.

Many of us older guys are foregoing the foot launch and are rocking the trikes!!! No need to be young, agile and in shape!!! Hey, round is a shape!!! At some point I will strap my rocking chair with wheels and leave this planet for at least a little while..............

Okay this an "Inspecting the wing / lines for $200" question - Fixed wing pilots inspect their aircraft before each flight. Is there any requirement for you to do a pre-flight inspection each time? Do you have to have a log book to show your flight time and/or inspections of your wing and its lines pre-flight? If not, how often 'should' you inspect them?
Yes, YeS, YES!!!!! We have a pre-flight inspection ALWAYS and we utilize a pre-flight check list. All of our equipment we inspect from top to bottom. We have our log books too. Vigilance is key to having fun and staying safe. I like to check the equipment post flight as well. Things can get loose quick on these 2 strokes and everything that gets free will go through the prop - no bueno
señor

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
@Got Dirt? - Bonus Round (then I'll give you the weekend off :LOL::ROFLMAO:) - You only are required to have your PPG Rating to fly? According to the FAR Part 103 you reference earlier in the thread, you're not required to have an Airworthiness certificate for your Ultra light.

If I ever decide to fly my UAV professionally ("in furtherence of a business" (FAA term)), I will need to study for & pass a test (includes sectional charts for the different classes of airspace) to get a Part 107 Remote Pilot Certification and I will need to register my drone, regardless of weight, w/the FAA. Currently, as a 'recreational' pilot, I'm not required to register it due to it being under 250g. They are working on a Knowledge and Safety Test for hobbyist flyers I will have to pass, when it's published.

Interesting, I didn't know the paramotors were 2-strokes. Noted.

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
ok so i am only 30 pounds off my playing - fighting weight of 250 but at 280...
i would inspect that chit every time i unpacked it and packed it again
i fell once and busted my back all to hell and i have always had a healthy respect for heights.
well except when i was skiiing a lot i used to jump off things i couldn't even look off of in the summer.
of course that got me caught in 4 avalanches too so...
but at least i WAS bulletproof.
now it seems everything is starting to hurt and catch up with me
who'de a thunk it :p

·
Registered
750 Posts
@Got Dirt? - Bonus Round (then I'll give you the weekend off :LOL::ROFLMAO:) - You only are required to have your PPG Rating to fly? According to the FAR Part 103 you reference earlier in the thread, you're not required to have an Airworthiness certificate for your Ultra light.

If I ever decide to fly my UAV professionally ("in furtherence of a business" (FAA term)), I will need to study for & pass a test (includes sectional charts for the different classes of airspace) to get a Part 107 Remote Pilot Certification and I will need to register my drone, regardless of weight, w/the FAA. Currently, as a 'recreational' pilot, I'm not required to register it due to it being under 250g. They are working on a Knowledge and Safety Test for hobbyist flyers I will have to pass, when it's published.

Interesting, I didn't know the paramotors were 2-strokes. Noted.
Ratings aren't even required. No licensing, no training required! No certification -zero, zilch, nada! Well, not exactly........ FAR103 is just 2 pages and is one of the last not-so-much-government regulated freedoms still left to us, so we cherish and hold on to it dearly!!! We don't want to be "That Guy" that screws it up for everyone. Here in the US, we are restricted from flying over populated areas, as well as outdoor gatherings; we can only fly during daylight, up to 30 minutes before morning light and after sundown (must have a strobe). The absence of training requirements is no excuse for ignorance of the law. Flying in our country's airspace is a privilege to be taken seriously. Our goals are to never get reported to the police, and to not "look" dangerous. There's no room for show-offs. Just ggooggle Dell Schanze.......... he's our pariah - everyone's got to have at least one. Let me give you and example for those that don't want to search - this guy kicked a barn owl in flight and giggled with delight like a little girl hosting her first tea party. Don't believe me. Look it up.... Oh yeah, and he's an instructor too!!! that's just great.....

Drones on the other hand didn't exactly have their own rules, and people complained when they flew over their homes and over populated beaches no doubt trying to get a "peekaboo".

Most paramotors are 2 strokes; there are some 4 strokes as well as boxers, wankels, electrics, but they are rare; 4 strokes and electrics are getting more popular!

ok so i am only 30 pounds off my playing - fighting weight of 250 but at 280...
i would inspect that chit every time i unpacked it and packed it again
i fell once and busted my back all to hell and i have always had a healthy respect for heights.
well except when i was skiiing a lot i used to jump off things i couldn't even look off of in the summer.
of course that got me caught in 4 avalanches too so...
but at least i WAS bulletproof.
now it seems everything is starting to hurt and catch up with me
who'de a thunk it :p
There are guys over 300lbs flying trikes. With inspection come confidence in your equipment; you don't have to worry (so much) and you can really enjoy the sport - just can't be complacent. Only fly within your means and capabilities.

That was fun guys!!! Thanks!!!!

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
we had a buddy in jackson hole we would go stay with for a week every winter to do some skiing back in the day and he had a great gig
he was a bartender at first how we all met, but in the winter he did tile and all summer he had an ultra light attached to a zodiak and would fly rich tourist into remote lakes and teach them to fly fish!
fun as hell and e made good money doing it plus tips!

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
I hear ya Joe - Doesn't matter what it is, there are the Dell Schanze's in the world that screw something up for everyone else. "They" screw it up, "We" have to live with the rule or regulation changes made as a result. I understand changes for making the activity safer, but it's the things we CAN'T do because somebody mucked it up. (Said in the "Burford T. Justice" voice) "Hell yeah, there's a rule for that!" For UAVs, there so many places we can't fly for those reasons.

On a different note: What are you all doing for the long weekend?
Today, I had to go get "re-measured" for the wedding monkey suit for the daughter's wedding. Tomorrow, our family is getting together for my Mom's 90th Birthday Party. Pam & I, our kids/grandkids, My Sister/BIL, their daughter, one of their sons/wife/kids are coming as well as people from her church. We hope she has a good time. You don't turn 90 everyday. She is slowing down physically, but she's still sharp mentally. She lives in her own house still. Monday, I'm hoping to relax, have a "cold" one and maybe throw some meat on the barby!

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
i plan to have a fun relaxing time doing...yard work 🤣
i got so much to do here to make this place livable
i did get two cars moved but i still gotta drag the dead parts car outta here and across the street so the power company can come do trees.
then i gotta move several piles of branches out to the road so they can come chip them for me and get the absurd amount of crap that somehow, accumulated in my yard over the winter out and sorted and i also have to find my good steel jerry can that has walked off from where i thought it was for my monthly reno run to get enough fuel to make through the month without paying grabbin nuisance fees so he can play choo choo and steel more of OUR money for his own personal gain and agenda
and all this must be done by monday...
so... as far as fun stuff by comparison to you Darryl...
not much, how about you Joe?

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
Mom's Birthday went well - Almost all the family where there. One of our granddaughters and one of my nephews were not there. She was very excited we were there + several people from her church dropped by. I'm glad we got to do it for her. She hasn't been around a LOT of people since the pandemic hit so this was good for her. She did tell me that her church is opening back this next Sunday. One of the couples from her church take her. She'll be able to get out again.

Yesterday was a down day - Sat on my butt, watched TV, napped in my chair from time to time. Today, I'm back in the office.

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
Well...killed another computer...
I had forgotten the old phone cod get on here so I can check in on You fine folks.
Dropped 3 trees 2 bucked and stowed in wood shed limbs cleaned up for the chipper guy to come get. Yard mildly improved and things taking shape.
Took the truck to town for a bath and all was going great. Then the wife popped a cap off her molar and we are looking at 5500 buck's for an implant.
She is ok but kinda bummed about her tooth, understandably.
Other wise it was a great weekend.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

13061 - 13080 of 13128 Posts