Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

13041 - 13060 of 13128 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just spit firing here since the drone talk around here kind of fascinates me. I know it will vary state to state at best and possibly even community to community but what are some of the basic guidelines of flying a drone over someone else's property? Like say Mr. Darryl was out and about and decided to fly his drone over my house or around my yard while not physically being on my property? Not that I'm this kind of person or anything but would the property owner be in the right to "ground" (i.e. shoot down) said drone?

I live in a very rural area and honestly there isn't much drone use around here but I did observe someone last summer while I was mowing my yard stop on the side of the highway that borders my property and send a drone up. Looked like he was just evaluating something to do with the highway but had out of state plates and at the closest was 4 hours away from his state. He never crossed over the road and on to my land personally or with the drone but it just seemed odd. So I was curious what a private property owners rights could be, you know without doing any actual research lol.

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
Just spit firing here since the drone talk around here kind of fascinates me. I know it will vary state to state at best and possibly even community to community but what are some of the basic guidelines of flying a drone over someone else's property? Like say Mr. Darryl was out and about and decided to fly his drone over my house or around my yard while not physically being on my property? Not that I'm this kind of person or anything but would the property owner be in the right to "ground" (i.e. shoot down) said drone?

I live in a very rural area and honestly there isn't much drone use around here but I did observe someone last summer while I was mowing my yard stop on the side of the highway that borders my property and send a drone up. Looked like he was just evaluating something to do with the highway but had out of state plates and at the closest was 4 hours away from his state. He never crossed over the road and on to my land personally or with the drone but it just seemed odd. So I was curious what a private property owners rights could be, you know without doing any actual research lol.
Not an expert by any stretch, but I am learning more about this flying camera thing and the FAA rules I need to operate under. From what I've read via websites / forums, this is what I do know.
  • Shoot Down a Drone - It is illegal to shoot down an aircraft (Yes, a UAV is considered an aircraft) If caught, you can be required to spend some time in one of those "Community Resorts" where you get 3 hots and a cot. They may even throw in an Orange jumpsuit to show who the members are! :cool::cool: (See Youtube below)
  • Private Property - It is legal to fly over someone's property on the way to somewhere else. Flying around the yard is discouraged. People get nervous about someone who might slow WAY down or drop altitude to look at someone or something on that property as you fly over. (i.e. scoping out a "a 'person-of-interest'" who MAY be sunbathing by the pool - trying to look in the windows - scoping out the neighbor's car) - Should likely plan a path over that helps minimize accusation. Flying around a yard would be allowed if, say a real estate agent hires an FAA-licensed (Part 107) UAV pilot* to get video of the home prior to putting the house on the market. In this case, the homeowner would know about it AND sunbathers would probably not be outside.
  • Roads and People - You can fly over a road as long as there are not any cars on it at the time you flyover. You can not fly over people unless they are aware you are doing it.
    • Family reunion at your house - you are flying around to video the number of people who attended - (y)
    • Large gatherings of people not related to you (at a park, a march, a stadium at game time, etc) - (n)
* - There are FAA-Licensed Remote Pilots (These pilots are allowed to earn $$ flying their drones) and there are Recreational or Hobbyist Pilots (No $$ earning allowed). (Most rules apply to both - some apply to one group or the other)

Some websites that may help:
FAA UAS Getting Started
FAA Drone Zone

I watch this guy (Russ - 51Drones) quite a bit. He usually backs his statements up as he does in this video.

Hope it helps - Sorry if it's preachy.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No it clears up most of what I was assuming. Although I would have guessed terribly wrong for "downing" someone else's drone over my property haha. I don't want free room and board with those ugly suits lol.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wow.......all this drone talk..............has me all misty and yet pleased.

Reactions: SuperCrutyPS

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
@kbnw15 - Yeah - those are the resorts you DON'T wanna be a member @ - :rolleyes::rolleyes:

@Got Dirt? - interesting rendition of the song.

Reactions: Got Dirt?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
If someone buzzes one of those gnats above my yard, it’s going down.
Have your people call my people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
be sure to give the sd card to the authorities - may be some incriminating evidence on it! Damn pervs..... just takes one a-hole to ruin flying for everyone else....

Reactions: john galt

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Drones are not a super big issue here but I can neither confirm nor deny the city im in has been avoiding and local policies. Some people used a drone to harass osperys at one of those live-cam nest and then some drones were causing issues at a public water access but they have yet to release anything stating drones are allowed here/not there and with these restrictions etc. Its all so up in the air but seems 99% of folks are being nice/respective but a couple folks stated they had drones hovering over and circling for no reason they knew of. So property owners contact LEO and LEO of course said well I would avoid firing bullet type rifles in the air for public safety but you have a right to protect your privacy and shotgun are a safer alternative but requested they at least try and talk to neighbors in case its just kids etc.

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
If someone buzzes one of those gnats above my yard, it’s going down.
Have your people call my people.
be sure to give the sd card to the authorities - may be some incriminating evidence on it! Damn pervs..... just takes one a-hole to ruin flying for everyone else....
Drones are not a super big issue here but I can neither confirm nor deny the city im in has been avoiding and local policies. Some people used a drone to harass osperys at one of those live-cam nest and then some drones were causing issues at a public water access but they have yet to release anything stating drones are allowed here/not there and with these restrictions etc. Its all so up in the air but seems 99% of folks are being nice/respective but a couple folks stated they had drones hovering over and circling for no reason they knew of. So property owners contact LEO and LEO of course said well I would avoid firing bullet type rifles in the air for public safety but you have a right to protect your privacy and shotgun are a safer alternative but requested they at least try and talk to neighbors in case its just kids etc.
I get why people feel the way they do. Like @Got Dirt? said - It just takes one dufus to muck it up. OTOH, Some people take it to an extreme - They see a drone (on the ground or in the air) they automatically assume someone is spying on them or up to something nefarios. Some of THEM, haven't even had anything done to them directly. They've READ about an incident or know someone who know someone who knows.......

As an owner/pilot, I wouldn't want someone lingering over my yard either. The FAA is working on Remote ID which would have the UAVs transmit drone model and owner data to identify the drone like manned aircraft do now. This would make it easier to track down the offender. A lot of UAV owners don't like the idea, but they are probably the ones who would do stupid stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
@SuperCrutyPS

Totally agree. I am more more tracking drones because of increased accountability and it will just encourage more caution if they have to sign their name and register stuff with a federal/local database. Just like a car registration can help keep folks accountable. I've personally experienced some dufus drone users more often than not unfortunately But I definitely know the great majority or hobbyist and just playing around. I'll admit I've never felt the need to take one down yet just takes time for thins to find a happy medium. I have a buddy who uses his when he sells pricey stuff in person. Has the drone programmed to follow and record just in case someone tried to pull anything. Worked very well once when selling some turbos and the guy in person was very shady until we pointed out the unusual bird standing watch lol.

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
I know this will be weird, but I'm actually talking about my truck today. I was finally able to squeeze in some time to get the oil/filter changed on the "Ol' Guy." Went about a thousand miles over. Don't like doing that, but the schedule has been messed up.
Later, I drove over to the store to buy steaks for tomorrow. My son, my future SIL & I are cooking for our ladies. Hope to have a relaxing day with family.

You guys got plans for tomorrow?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Gonna spend time with Mom and all the mother's that will be visiting. Sis will be cooking I guess Italian is what mama wanted. Oh yeah, the family text reads; Mama wants Fettuccine Alfredo and Chicken Picatta; + dessert of some kind I'm sure. Will try and NOT over do it but I'm a glutton for gluttony. Mama is 88 and still loves to drink tequila - Don't know how she does it! Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers!!!!

Reactions: john galt

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
we've been sick for the last few days so not doing too much around here.
it is our youngest's 21st tomorrow so we are going to try to make a bananana daqueri.
never had one but i guess its a thing so...
otherwise we are laying low.
i still havent gotten very far with my drone, ie: still in the box but i hoe to have time next week to play around with it a bit
that is assuming the sickness is a thing of the past by then.
and i need to swap out summer tires onto the truck before i take it anyplace but i need to go fetch at least one more cord than i have drying in the driveway right now and i should be covered for next winter.
dont want a recap of this winter not being prepped in time and fighting wood all winter long again :DOH:

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
Yesterday went well - My son and I ended up cooking. We had steaks, baked beans, watermelon, guacamole/chips, and corn-on-the-cobb. So, anyone who went away hungry should have made better decisions. HAHAHAHA
My wife, our daugher, and our DIL were the Moms present.

In the morning, I got to give the "Ol' Guy" a much needed bath along with some detailing (Tires and some of the plastic pieces dressed) The Ol' boy looks good all cleaned up!

·
Registered
750 Posts
When I was young, I was poor.

But after years of hard work,

I am no longer young.

?

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
When I was young, I was poor.

But after years of hard work,

I am no longer young.

?
you know...

this was not my reality for many years but seems to be my story after our youngest.

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,865 Posts
we've been sick for the last few days so not doing too much around here.
it is our youngest's 21st tomorrow so we are going to try to make a bananana daqueri.
never had one but i guess its a thing so...
otherwise we are laying low.
i still havent gotten very far with my drone, ie: still in the box but i hoe to have time next week to play around with it a bit
that is assuming the sickness is a thing of the past by then.
and i need to swap out summer tires onto the truck before i take it anyplace but i need to go fetch at least one more cord than i have drying in the driveway right now and i should be covered for next winter.
dont want a recap of this winter not being prepped in time and fighting wood all winter long again :DOH:
Sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope by now you're doing better!

·
california deplorable
11,159 Posts
Sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope by now you're doing better!
thnks Darryl,
on my third relapse at the moment :(
but not doing TOO bad.
figures during the dreaded plague i would find the stomach flu :p
and i can say with authority
masks don't work 🤣

13041 - 13060 of 13128 Posts