Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

12581 - 12600 of 12611 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
I've been wanting one for awhile and, while I've been Staying @ Home anyway, I've went shopping for a quad-copter. I looked at what was out there, I looked at YouTube videos of footage and reviews of a bunch of them. There are some you have to register with the FAA if they are over .55, but under 55 lbs. There are a crap ton of companies that sell drones. I also know I'm a beginner. So, based on some of the videos I watched and articles I read, I decided to start smaller (Size-wise and $$-wise) Didn't want a 'toy' drone, but I wasn't going for one more suitable for professional use. As you can imagine, prices vary from little ones to the 'big' ones. I ended up ordering a Potensic D58 Quad-copter. I found a good deal on Amazon. Drone, controller, 3 batteries (normally only 2) and a carrying case - low $200s. It is just under the .55 lbs so I don't have to register it. I can control it with the controller or via my smartphone. I can see what the camera sees on my smartphone. The camera has a 1080p resolution. I can start/stop recording with a button on the controller and take still shots. Everything gets recorded on a mini-SD card that plugs into the back of the camera.

In one article I read said, "You will crash your drone." True statement. Only flown for a couple of hours combined time in my backyard. Crashed on first & other flights (That's out of the way - HAHAHA) No damage, just started over. So far it's fun and I've taken some video and stills and viewed them on our laptop. Not too bad. Not going to win any aerial video awards, but it's still good. I'll play around with this one for awhile. Who knows, I may moved up to a bigger one later.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My prospecting buddy has/had 3 drones. We use them when scouting out new claims. They are indispensable. We've used the Blade Chroma and now are using DJI Phantom 4 and the Mavic. Your choice looks pretty good!!! Should be alright! They're getting more and more sophisticated and less expensive by the day! Let me know how you like it. Would love to know your thoughts on it over time.

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
My prospecting buddy has/had 3 drones. We use them when scouting out new claims. They are indispensable. We've used the Blade Chroma and now are using DJI Phantom 4 and the Mavic. Your choice looks pretty good!!! Should be alright! They're getting more and more sophisticated and less expensive by the day! Let me know how you like it. Would love to know your thoughts on it over time.
I took a look at the Phantoms and Mavics. Nice stuff, good quality, great reviews - pretty nice videos from either, but wasn't quite willing to shell out that $$ for them.........at least, yet. We'll see.

Nothing fancy, but I'll try to post a couple pics later.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had a $50 drone that was a blast!!!! This one is an excellent choice to start with. Have fun!!!

Click For Full-Size Image.

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
Took some pics from the drone.

Top is the backyard looking toward the house -- Bottom is (obviously) the front. I flew the drone over the fence to get that shot. My Daughter's car and my Ol' Guy!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ahhhh very cool!!!! You're having fun, aren't you????

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
Oh Heck yeah!! The more I fly it, the more relaxed I am with it. Magically, I'm crashing less.....go figure.

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
havent read more than the last page and i guess i need to but i ordered a mavic clone that self lands etc and that was right when the trade war heated up...
i wound up gettng a refund and of course spent that money on truck parts 🤣
but when i get my truck back together i want to pick one up and play with it. too many places around here to fly the thing not to learn and i like the being able to scout things out idea when i am in the back country.
not sure i am anywhere near skill or cash level to grab a dvi just yet but its something to work towards. i am kinda hoping an american company getsserious about making drones but until Trump gets the faa fda epa and all the other idocracy agencies a bit more under control i dont see it happening. i hope i am wrong but too many regulations on what should amount to dont be a dumbazz

·
Registered
583 Posts
Knew the drone-talk would get you to chime in!!!!! Got to get that drone action going!!! Drones nowadays are almost idiot proof so even I can drive one. Heck, they land themselves! When the batt gets low they automatically come back right where they took off from. Way cool..............

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
Figuring out a way to make some $ since fewer people are driving.....fewer speeding tickets, fewer drunk drivers, fewer accidents. I get we have a hunker down order and people have to get used to something we've never had to deal with in our lifetimes and I understand SOME people will push the limits, there should be some tolerance that people are getting cabin fever. Maybe a deadline warning. AFTER this date, you will be cited.
what gets me is groovey gestapo gavin does NOT have the constitutional authority to tell us we cant go out side (which damages our immune systems)
or we have to wear a mask (which damages our immune system)
or that we can go shopping but have to use soros owned machines to count rigged ballots that we must mail in... the whole thing is nothing short of a Nazi style power grab and i for one am over it.
i understand being a decent person and not spreading disease but this is stupid beyond redemption. the only thing it serves is to push the power of those who deserve NONE.
all over a planned release of a virus designed to lower our immune response that has its own death rate lower than the common flu. even with pumping up the numbers by claiming heart attacks and cancer are covi or sars 2.
this is idiocracy

Civil disobedience done right...

i gotta watch that one in a bit but i think i like it
i have to run to orielys and the hardware store in a minute here so...

I've been wanting one for awhile and, while I've been Staying @ Home anyway, I've went shopping for a quad-copter. I looked at what was out there, I looked at YouTube videos of footage and reviews of a bunch of them. There are some you have to register with the FAA if they are over .55, but under 55 lbs. There are a crap ton of companies that sell drones. I also know I'm a beginner. So, based on some of the videos I watched and articles I read, I decided to start smaller (Size-wise and $$-wise) Didn't want a 'toy' drone, but I wasn't going for one more suitable for professional use. As you can imagine, prices vary from little ones to the 'big' ones. I ended ordering a Potensic D58 Quad-copter. I found a good deal on Amazon. Drone, controller, 3 batteries (normally only 2) and a carrying case - low $200s. It is just under the .55 lbs so I don't have to register it. I can control it with the controller or via my smartphone. I can see what the camera sees on my smartphone. The camera has a 1080p resolution. I can start/stop recording with a button on the controller and take still shots. Everything gets recorded on a mini-SD card that plugs into the back of the camera.

In one article I read said, "You will crash your drone." True statement. Only flown for a couple of hours combined time in my backyard. Crashed on first & other flights (That's out of the way - HAHAHA) No damage, just started over. So far it's fun and I've taken some video and stills and viewed them on our laptop. Not too bad. Not going to win any aerial video awards, but it's still good. I'll play around with this one for awhile. Who knows, I may moved up to a bigger one later.

wat kind of drone is that anyways?
i like the mavic clone i had on order auto take off gps glonas and second camera flight plan programmable flight tracking etc its basically a mavic without sensors
i got the extra battery i ordered as it shipped first but no drone to go with it :(
i may just reordeer when things cool off a bit but i will pay double what i ordered it for the first time.
otherwise icut my loses and grab something more like what you got there. i like the foldable store it in the truck and take it out out back or camping or...
i like that idea :)

Knew the drone-talk would get you to chime in!!!!! Got to get that drone action going!!! Drones nowadays are almost idiot proof so even I can drive one. Heck, they land themselves! When the batt gets low they automatically come back right where they took off from. Way cool..............
actually the thread showed up in notifications again so here i is 🤣
but i am interested in a drone for sure

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
wat kind of drone is that anyways?
i like the mavic clone i had on order auto take off gps glonas and second camera flight plan programmable flight tracking etc its basically a mavic without sensors
i got the extra battery i ordered as it shipped first but no drone to go with it :(
i may just reordeer when things cool off a bit but i will pay double what i ordered it for the first time.
otherwise icut my loses and grab something more like what you got there. i like the foldable store it in the truck and take it out out back or camping or...
i like that idea :)
It's a Potensic D58 - 1080p camera adjustable 90° up/down, it has GPS / Glonas, Follow Me, Circle, Auto Return (low battery, out of range, push the Return to Home button). The cool thing is if I get out a whack with it, I can let go of the sticks and it will hover in place. I can take a deep breath and resume my flight.

I looked @ the foldables and there are some good ones out there. I had some concerns with them. One, they land on their belly (camera in the front of the fuselage - Two, over time could there be motor wire breakage because of the folding / unfolding? - Three, with the camera all the way up, you can see the forward blades in the video or still shots. But, I see the attraction of how compact they can be.

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
that mavic clone had all those features too. pretty amazing how far they have come. i almost feel comfortable flying one :p
i need to get me one one of these days before they clamp down on that too because no fun allowed

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
that mavic clone had all those features too. pretty amazing how far they have come. i almost feel comfortable flying one :p
i need to get me one one of these days before they clamp down on that too because no fun allowed
Ain't that the truth. With this drone, at least, it's under the minimum weight for FAA registration. But there are regs you have to follow like 400' Max altitude and you have to fly it 'Line-of-sight' even though many of them have distance ranges that far exceed it. No flying over people without permission and not flying in Restricted Airspace. (and there's an App for that).

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
exactly i waned to grab that clone it was under weight and wassnt programed to remain under 400 feet which around here would plant it in to the hill behind the house.
yea i get the rules the down side is they will get more and more draconian especially in cali with our nutso Nazi wanna be leaders

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
Until I was looking @ drones, reading the articles and watching videos, I didn't know all the stuff that goes along with flying one. BUT....life has rules - driving, crime related stuff, etc, so not too surprised. Like other things, you keep your nose clean, they leave you alone.

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
good point and i haven't even got one to fly yet but i know a ton more than i did when i first started thinking about it.
the big one i want to avoid is a fly away. thousands of acres of forest here to lose something in i would never see it again for sure :eek:

·
Super Moderator
19,256 Posts
I hear ya there. With the stuff in the newer ones probably drops that possibility quite a bit. But with a National Forest as your backyard, I can see why you'd be concerned.

Google - Drone flyaways. I didn't look at all of them, but quite a few articles and YouTube things came back. Might give you some peace of mind -OR- it could confirm your fears. 🙂🙃🙂🙃

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
have a great memorial day everyone

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks!!!! Likewise.............. What do you have going on today?

12581 - 12600 of 12611 Posts