Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken a couple of trips in the 01' PSD and wondering if there are ways to help quieten engine compartment noise from being heard near as much in the cabin?

I've heard that the ITP pre-pump kit helps to quieten the engine, but what about cold air intakes as well? Do the aftermarket cold air intakes add extra turbo noise, etc?

I'm just looking for any ideas on how to reduce interior noise from the engine. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
could pad the interior of the cab with a sound deadening material, therse a few people who have done this

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
A open air intake will just make it louder. Applying the sound deadening material against the firewall will help a lot as will putting the silicone tubing in the weather stripping around each door. This eliminates a lot of road noise and is a easy mod to do in your driveway.
NCH

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
The high pressure oil crossover line makes it run a little smoothe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sound deadener such as dynamat extreme would work well for you. do as much as you can on the doors, firewall, and you can even pull the carpet and put some on the floor to quiet the engine/road noise. it makes a big difference...but remember to apply with a heat gun and roller.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Sound deadening only way to go... you will hardly notice any difference with any fuel mods...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Second the sound deadning; though I love the turbo whine and general sounds these engines make they honestly get tiresome after about an hour on the road. Do the fuel mods for power and longevity. Also, what kind of tires are you running? They can cause a nasty drone in the cab, as well.

I'm thinking about spraying Lizard Skin (ceramic) on every sheetmetal surface under and in the cab, then applying some sort of deadning mat inside and on the firewall, and finally installing a new rubber floor mat. This should kill nearly all the drone.

Diesel Power did this some months ago and found a huge difference in DBs between modded and stock.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's Up NC1500?

As far as tires, I'm running the DuraGrappler 285/75-16's. I love these tires. They are VERY quiet on the road.

Okay. So I have a cone style filter that looks really cheap, and it appears that the last owner just found something and then threw it on there, so I wanna ask about the Napa filter that I've seen alot of people on here talking about. I saw one post where someone was talking about a K&N filter and the Napa filter together (forget the Napa # that was referenced). Are these setups used in conjuction with the stock airbox, or what exactly does it involve? And would they be quieter than an aftermarket cold air intake???

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The filter you are talking about is the 6637 and it use to be called the DIY Tymar intake. No you don't use the factory airbox, it is removed and you run the intake tube directly to the filter. Another option is the Ford AIS intake, it comes with a new snorkel and intake box, this filter is the best there is. The same filter saved our humvees over in the sandbox, nothing filters better, my UOA prove that. Plus it still looks stock under the hood, but it flows 30% more air. It will handle mods up to 400HP, after that you will have to go to a open element, and you bet they are much, much louder!!! One big reason why I went with the AIS, I like to hear my tunes!!

NCH

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
NC1500,
I see you are down in the city. I am North of you in Mount Airy!!!
Let me know if you are ever up my way.
NCH

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey, Guys,

NCHornet I think we met at the 07 Smoke Show in Wiston at Scott's. I'm down in N. Florida now.

Strokr1 I also have very quiet tires on mine (Falken Lanair HT's) also. And I also share your opinion about the trucks having too much ambient noise; it always sounds like there's a hole in the firewall somewhere. It shocks me just how loud they really are after driving the 08/09 Super Duties and how far Ford has come in such a short time.

Stock is always the quietest but with proper deadening even an open element filters and larger exhausts won't be too bad. I've seen some crazy amounts of material being applied to competetion level vehicles, including drilling holes in pillars and spraying foam to seal out everything. I bet you can add at least 50 pounds of material getting things quieted. Sounds like a lot of work but, for us who use our trucks as our primary vehicle, it's well worth it.

Once I start tearing mine apart this is definetly on the to-do list.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I went from an OEM filter setup to the open element 6637 style and I can agree with NC that this change adds a huge amount of noise to the cab. Usually it is a good noise but sometimes it is just too much. Once this filter is due for a change I may just go to the AIS which is actually pretty cheap compared to the commercial air intakes available for this engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts