Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take my shifter out this last weekend to reconnect an overdrive wire.

After examining the ignition lock assembly, it occured to me how simple it would be to steal my nice f-350, in about 5 seconds with a dent puller and a screw driver, All they'd have to do is whack off the outer ring, screw a dent puller into the key lock, a light tap back and presto they now have my truck.

What can be done to slow them down?

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Where do you live?

·
Registered
223 Posts
on a 94-01 dodge all you had to do was pull the outer ring (glowing ring) , hit the barrel with a hammer sideways to crack the barrel loose from the column and turn the whole unit with a pair of vice grips and your outta here.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I just read in another post about a guy that swapped a 6 speed in place of his auto. Here's what I'm getting at. Even though his truck started out as an auto it had wiring for the clutch switch to allow the truck to start. What I'm thinking is if you can find that wire and tap into it and put a momentary on/off toggle switch on it. But thats if it will work with a PCM for an auto.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I like your CPS idea, or maybe the IPR, something that wont cause damage if they try to take it, but they won't be able to just jump in and go.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Are your sure your keys don't have the PATS on them? If they're the big bulky keys then yes but if its not much wider than a quarter or two then no.

If yes then your truck won't start if the assembly is turned without the encoded key in the ignition.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Switch on the starter solenoid works great.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
A hidden Battery Kill switch. Kills the power to the whole truck.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Well as a Locksmith who repairs a lot of these trucks when they are stolen, I will tell you it is easier then you think to steal them. Some years easier then others. On an 96 and older I can have the old switch out and a new one in, in less the 20 seconds. You can rig up a switch tied to something in the truck but you are better off getting an alarm with a starter disable. That way you at least know when they get in you truck.

Those guys who have the pats equipped trucks and get remote start put in their trucks are disabling the pats systems and making their trucks easier to steal. Unless their alarm has a starter disable.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Those guys who have the pats equipped trucks and get remote start put in their trucks are disabling the pats systems and making their trucks easier to steal. Unless their alarm has a starter disable.
Not necessarily. If you have a PATS adapter module the remote starter only emulates the key being there if the remote start has been initiated. Unless your chrysler or german since I've heard they can't be emulated and just ussually end up taping a key beside the lock assembly.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
The way I would do it is wire a toggle switch to the PCM hot wire and HIDE that switch. Then they cant get the PCM to have power to it therefore not enabling the truck to start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could do that, though by that time they have already ripped out the ignition cylinder. Wasn't ther some sort of wrap around the column lock at one time. Don't remember who made it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
one word ..insurance ...lol

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Could do that, though by that time they have already ripped out the ignition cylinder. Wasn't ther some sort of wrap around the column lock at one time. Don't remember who made it.

Any ideas?

No, you dont understand...if you disable the PCM, the truck wont crank at all, no matter if they twist the lock cylinder out! Try taking the PCM out of the truck and starting it up. It wont work. Same principal, except you are just taking the powersource away from the PCM

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not that, I mean avoiding any kind of damage altogether. Not hard to wire in a kill switch. It's the $$ steering column that has to be replaced when one yanks out the ignition core.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Not necessarily. If you have a PATS adapter module the remote starter only emulates the key being there if the remote start has been initiated. Unless your chrysler or german since I've heard they can't be emulated and just ussually end up taping a key beside the lock assembly.

Thats not true. I have remade keys to cars and trucks, mainly fords, that have a remote start. I never had to program the new key. I could make a mechanical and it would start the car. And the customer didnt even have his remote.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thats not true. I have remade keys to cars and trucks, mainly fords, that have a remote start. I never had to program the new key. I could make a mechanical and it would start the car. And the customer didnt even have his remote.
The emulator module is for aftermarket starters. If you have remade keys without programming them either it doesn't have the PATS system or a module wasn't used and a old key was strapped around the ignition column.

If you strap the key around the ignition (one thats equiped with PATS) then PATS is basically disabled because no matter what transponder is on the key (the one being inserted into the ignition) the one strapped to the column gives out a valid signal to the car allowing it to start. The only thing required is the mechanical ignition to be turned to give a start command.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
have you ever thought about chipping your truck? if you get a selectable chip with difrent setting o it you can have one of the settings as a no start option. trhen every time you lever your truck just flip it to no start.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts