Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me a story here guys.

What is the order of events and what are we all using.
I have a bunch of little scatches, swirls and nicks and the paint ain't so smooth anymore. Winter was pretty tough on her. I've been seeing the clay bar alot.......Never used it though. Thoughts??
Friendly reminder......she's a black truck:thumb:
I want her to look new again

Where do I start?

Thanks
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi! I've used Mother's Clay Bar and that's the only thing that will really work to get your paint smooth again. It's a real PITA to do, but worth it. Best to do it in the shade in warm weather. I have to do mine as well after this winter :)

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
clay bar and then use some swiral remover and then let it sit a night then in the morning take the swiral remover off and then use a sealant on it and maybe some scratch x on the scratchs

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I used the clay bar. Loved it! really got it smooth as glass again

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you want to go all out on this, this what I would do and what I will be doing really soon.

Start with a good washing with Dawn dish soap. Use Dawn because it will strip any wax that is on the surface of the paint. Go ahead and feel your paint with a dry hand. If it feels like there is a gritty texture to the paint you are going to need to clay the paint. I personally use either the Mothers or Meguiars claybars.

While claying the paint make sure to keep the paint lubed up with the detailing spray or the particles you are trying to pick up and get off the paint will only scratch the paint more. Also as you are claying the paint make sure to frequently fold the clay over to keep exposing fresh clay. Work in small areas and buff the detailer spray off with a clean, dry, soft towel when you are done with that spot.

From there you should be left with a slightly dull, yet extremely smooth paint. From here you can go ahead and apply a coat or two of your favorite wax and have a very stunning looking truck.

Now you mentioned that you have a black truck and it has some swirls and scratches. Lets start with the scratches. If they are down to the primer or the metal you are out of luck. A repaint is the only way to get rid of it completely or you can kinda sort cover them up with some touch-up paint.

If the scratchs are just in the clear coat you will be able to buff them out but you are going to need to get some sort of a buffer. A DA (dual-action) buffer (Porter Cable 7424) will work the best, but any buffer will do the trick. Though I would not throw a pad on a grinder and go at your paint because you will most likely burn through you paint due to the speed of the grinder.

You would obviously want to start with the least abrasive compound you can get and work your way up to the coarsest needed to remove all of the scratches and swirls. Then you have to work your way back down to the least abrasive again to get rid of all the new scratches that you just put in the clear coat.

All in all this is a very time consuming and tedious process, but will be worth it in the end. If something I said doesn't make sense I am sorry, but I am very tired.

If you have anyother questions just ask or for a wealth of detailing information go to here.

That site is to auto detailing, as this website is to the Powerstroke.

Good Luck and hopefully I was of some help,
Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Buff with rubbing compound, swirl mark remover, then polish.

make sure the truck is clean before you buff it.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
When I clay a vehicle, I use soapy water instead of spray detail.

I wouldn't use rubbing compund unless you have to, I'd try claying it first.

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
. I had some luck with the liquid clay bar. Its not as much of a PITA. The outcome of using the clay bar is much better.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Zaino stuff is really good along with stuff from adams polishes. You can get both online and they have anything you could ever need. I use the clay bar from zaino and buttery wax from adams polishes. Paint looks and feels like new again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help guys!

I'm actually pretty excited to getting going on this..........probably until I'm about half done:crazy:
Then I'll ask myself, "self, why did I start this" :doh:
I hope it's worth it fellas

·
Registered
79 Posts
FYI, the clay will only take off the particles/contaminates that are on the surface of your truck. It won't remove any of the swirls or scratches. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts