Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my light came on for the water separator. It has been a while since I drained it, maybe 3 months. I filled up a 20oz coke bottle, didnt see any water. Let it drain for another 10 minutes or so into a bucket, light still comes on. I am getting a steady stream, barely a stream but a stream none the less.

Anyways, the light isnt going off. I have read you dont EVER want this light to come on. Think its just a sensor or should I take it in? Its been 6k since last maintenance. Not sure when fuel filters were changed last since I just bought the truck.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If it's not a STRONG stream I would cahnge the filters and also try to use a mirror and a light to look in the filter bowl. you may need to take it apart and clean it. They have been know to build up with gunk in the housing. If you pull the sensor and it is dirty I would think that is the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2 years of warranty for the engine. I have heard if any damage has been done by water in the fuel its not covered. One guy said it cost him $4500 in repairs. I have to say I am a tiny bit nervous right now. :look:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If you didnt see any water then id think it was the sensor.

I just drained mine yesterday (first time in at least 6 months) and had no water.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Did mine this morning, no visible water, I brought it to work and had it spun, results no water but some small particles of junk, I do mine every month just to make sure, also I try and buy diesel at the busy stations on the highway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spoke with Ford. They thinks its a sensor. Going to take it in as it needs maintenance anyways.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ditch the Frame mounted filter assembly, too many horror stories of not trapping the water and crud causing big issues (read$$$$$) for the engine.

Look into a FASS or AIR DOG setup, one there are easier to work with ( Drain and change) and two filter better than the OEM units.

Install is an easy 2hr job.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the exact same issue that you had. My light came on so I drained it. Didn't look like it had any water in it. Light went off though but 15 minutes down the road it would come on again. I did this four or five times. In my research I read that the diesel can for the lack of a better word gel up....... looks like white wax. Check this article out. DTS Articles - Fuel Coagulation

I cleaned mine out and have not had any issues since. If you take off the front cover of that "bowl" looking thing that has the leaver to drain the fuel out you can inspect yours. I went ahead and bought the kit since in my adventure in draining my fuel every 15 min I finally broke the lever that some genius from Ford decided to make out of plastic. I think that they recommend to replace the gasket if you take it off anyway and in true fashion you can not buy just the gasket. I think I paid 35 or 40 bucks for the kit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is what they want to charge me at Ford. Is this something I can do easily? I am not a mechanical wizard but I have a good buddy who works on trucks and this stuff seems simple enough. For $500 it seems like a lot for a cleaning and new filters.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the exact same issue that you had. My light came on so I drained it. Didn't look like it had any water in it. Light went off though but 15 minutes down the road it would come on again. I did this four or five times. In my research I read that the diesel can for the lack of a better word gel up....... looks like white wax. Check this article out. DTS Articles - Fuel Coagulation

I cleaned mine out and have not had any issues since. If you take off the front cover of that "bowl" looking thing that has the leaver to drain the fuel out you can inspect yours. I went ahead and bought the kit since in my adventure in draining my fuel every 15 min I finally broke the lever that some genius from Ford decided to make out of plastic. I think that they recommend to replace the gasket if you take it off anyway and in true fashion you can not buy just the gasket. I think I paid 35 or 40 bucks for the kit.
Yeah sounds like we have the same problem. I am going to try it this weekend. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I cleaned out what I call the little fuel bowl on the frame pretty easily. I think it had three torque head screws on it. The kit came with everything you need. As far as fuel filters I am not sure. I get them done every other oil change at a local lube shop and I close my eyes when I sign the bill......... Not joking one bit....... I have no clue what it costs so I don't know if that is a good price or not. I would make sure that the price for both filters. I know it says filters on the price but I would make sure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am trying to remember if the gasket came with my kit....... or if the line item they have for "gasket" is the whole kit. I am almost sure that is the case. I would bet you do not need a new sensor. I did not.

I think you are correct in that we probably have/had the same problem. Let me ask you this, did it stay parked or didn't get driven much for an extended period of time? From what I heard this is what caused the fuel coagulation. My truck set on the dealership brand new for over one year. I was told that this was probably most of the coagulation occurred. My question was why did it take 3 years to finally trip the sensor and the only response I got was that the gelled up material took a while to get mixed up enough to trip the sensor........ not sure..... all I know is I cleaned my bowl out and it is good now so I am happy.

Not trying to ramble on but it is important. I was told that the light does not come on until the sensor reads an overage of water six or more times. From what I understand you can cause some serious damage between the first and the seventh when the message finally pops up on the dash. Since I have found this out I now drain mine once every month and if this info is true I think that everyone should. too bad I started doing this with 100k on the truck though so no telling if any damage has been done. I figure that I am OK since I change my filters out so much but as so many guys with destroyed HPFP and injectors already know it only takes one tank of bad diesel to mess stuff up pretty quick.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The info is a little unnerving. Considering the amount of damage water in the fuel can do that really worries me. Luckily there is only 30k on my truck so hopefully not too much damage has been done. Given that the truck is almost 5 years old and it only has 30k miles on it I would guess it has sat for a lot of its life. I drive it every day to and from work and it has been great for last 6 months. Thanks again for all of that information. Will Autozone have all those parts?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah it was not good to hear about how many times it the sensor to finally throw the light on the dash. I have NOT confirmed that it is 100% true. I had a guy on PSA that claims he knows what he is talking about tell me that and a couple of guys to back him up........ So I guess take that piece of info with a grain of salt. I do not think this is something you could ask the guy behind the counter at Ford and get a response that wasn't pulled out of his ***.

I do not believe you can get the kit at autozone but you might want to give them a call to check. I think you can give them the ford part # and they can see if they have one made by a different company.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after I told Ford to shove it, they changed their attitude. Turns out I am getting the whole thing done for $138 bucks because they can code it differently and cover it under my warranty.

This is the kind of thing that gives stealerships a bad name. They have lost me as a customer for life and I hope that if any other Ford service managers are reading this...just do right by the customer the first time around. It will pay off for you in the long run.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow. That is nuts. Honestly I would write a letter to Ford. That is what I did when I had an issue when I bought my truck. I went round and round with them over the price of my truck. I told them what truck I wanted for a certain price. After a month and a half of them creeping down to my number they finally got there but they said I would have to finance it through Ford. I said no problem as long as it is a 4yr loan at the same rate I was getting through my credit union. They said they could match it. Went to go pick my truck up and it was on a 6 year note and that was all they could do. I left and they called back a month later and said they could make it work. I got there and it was on a 4 yr but the interest rate was one percent higher. This is when I wrote my letter to Ford. About three weeks later I got a letter returned to me apologizing and saying that if I was still interested in the truck they would do the 4 yr with the interest rate being one percent lower than I asked for.

Honestly I thought my letter was going to get lost in the shuffle. But then again this was in late 08 when everyone was hurting for business........ it also helps that my truck had been on that lot for over a year hahahaha. One thing I do believe is that Ford is trying to change their image since more people are going foreign. I can't even remember what address I sent it too or where I got it from but if I recall correctly it was the Dearborn Michigan headquarters. Where ever I sent it got in front of the right guy though.

I felt like I was lied to and was trying to be tricked which is not right at all. Sounds like you were too. I would send something be it an email or letter stating your experience and obviously name the dealership.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think my bowl is also filled up with gunk. I've only had the truck for a few months and was planning to change the fuel filters next oil change and see about the seperator at the same time. . The water separator drains very slowly with little to no water that I can see

To those who have taken the bowl off and cleaned it, is it as easy loosening the bolts, clean the gunk change the gasket and put it back on? Or do those fuel lines need to be disconnected? How are those lines disconnected if so?

·
Registered
115 Posts

This is what they want to charge me at Ford. Is this something I can do easily? I am not a mechanical wizard but I have a good buddy who works on trucks and this stuff seems simple enough. For $500 it seems like a lot for a cleaning and new filters.
Dealerships are absolute crooks. Try and learn about your truck and do what you can. I only take it to the Dealership if I absolutely have to. I use a different shop that I always go to when I can. The only time I go to ford is to ask what a part costs and when they tell me the retarded price I show them the same authentic ford part on my phone I can order for literally 1/10th the price.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Dealerships are absolute crooks. Try and learn about your truck and do what you can. I only take it to the Dealership if I absolutely have to. I use a different shop that I always go to when I can. The only time I go to ford is to ask what a part costs and when they tell me the retarded price I show them the same authentic ford part on my phone I can order for literally 1/10th the price.
I see his quote for the fuel filters is $59.xx...... I was at ford the other day here and they want $93+tax.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts