Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
Throw a match on it. Not the entire 4.5 gallons though.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
I live in the great state of MN where they mandate a minimum of B5 during winter and I think we go up to B20 in the summer months.

Maybe thats what you got going on. I always run Howes winter treat and summer treat in every ounce of fuel I put in my diesels just because of all the above reasons.

Its funny - gasoline has all these minimum octane and super additives that are promoted for people that drive around in a $25,000 car but when it comes to diesel no one knows anything about what they are getting. Does it have biodiesel? how much percentage of bio? what cetane rating is it? what about the lubricity of it?

You'd think consumers would start demanding a minimum standards certification for the the fuel that they are purchasing to dump into their $100,000 investment? but no, we just blindly go and pump it in and woddle on our blindless way.

Like I said before, I do a quick one cup dump every month and run a additive year round because I worked my dirty little greasy but off on overtime to be able to even afford my $50k truck. The last thing I need to happen is get a bad slug of fuel, go to dealer under warranty and get denied a claim because there was water in the fuel that trashed my high pressure pump and injectors.

Diesels are not for everyone anymore, gone are the days of them running on anything you throw in them. These engines are extremely complicated and I am going to make sure to do my part in taking care of it. Oil change every 5k with Ford approved oil, fuel filter change every 15k, coolant every 30k, trans drain and refill every 15k, transfer every, 60k, diffs every 100k.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ha ok guys. You are the 1%ers! For good or bad I’ll stay indifferent lol. Only about 3-4% of owners are in this type forum, and of that few only a minority are crawling under their $80k truck to drain fuel on a monthly basis lol. But I agree your safe if you do it monthly for sure, I’m just not doing that. If it’s truly a requirement that I come to learn about then I’ll get rich in the lawsuit. Nobody told me about that at purchase. This is my fourth diesel and 6th superduty so don’t mistake me for somebody new to the game. But monthly is a fools task. Since nobody was quick to answer my question on what ford recommended, then I’m forced to check my owners manual. Whatever that says I’ll stick with. I’m guessing 10 or 15k
From the manual. Of course open to interpretation is the part that says "if necessary".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,503 Posts
A lot of how often you need to check/drain the water separator has to do with where you live, how often you fill-up and the stations you fill-up at. If you live in a very humid or rainy area, it's likely that you will build up more water sooner than someone who lives in say, Las Vegas. If you generally use the same stations to fuel up and you aren't having issues, then you can probably go a bit longer than someone who has to use shady stations with questionable tanks and filtration. I think it's a good idea to drain the unit at least every time you change the oil, but if you aren't putting a lot of miles on it, that could be a year or so. Everyone's situation is a little different and the intervals should reflect that. :twocents:

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Very good points.

I'd say at a minimum every oil change. I do it once a month because I plan on keeping this super duty at least 15 years like i did on my 04 6.0. I agree i'm on the 1% spectrum but then again I owned and operated a 04 6.0 for 255k miles with original head gaskets, studs and injectors.

I tend to take maintenance to the extreme but that old 6.0 never let me down. Always fired up and always got me to where i needed to go (granted I had some issues like up pipes crack, turbo stick etc)

interesting info about that bio part, I think someone should look into this a little more.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The diesel I buy is always clear, winter or summer diesel. Maybe it’s a regional thing. I just drained about 6oz out of my separator today, because of this thread lol, and had no water. It had the diesel smell for sure. Lol. I always get some on my gloves.

Up in the northern Canadian oil fields, we have dyed, bio and regular diesel. Regular diesel is clear, dyed is a reddish colour and bio has a tinge of yellow.

My last oil change, the quick change place drained the separator and said there was water mixed in. Of course they didn’t show me proof. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
From the manual. Of course open to interpretation is the part that says "if necessary".
Ha well there you have it. They did kinda put it there “as necessary” just to cover their a$$

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
I live in the great state of MN where they mandate a minimum of B5 during winter and I think we go up to B20 in the summer months.

Maybe thats what you got going on. I always run Howes winter treat and summer treat in every ounce of fuel I put in my diesels just because of all the above reasons.

Its funny - gasoline has all these minimum octane and super additives that are promoted for people that drive around in a $25,000 car but when it comes to diesel no one knows anything about what they are getting. Does it have biodiesel? how much percentage of bio? what cetane rating is it? what about the lubricity of it?

You'd think consumers would start demanding a minimum standards certification for the the fuel that they are purchasing to dump into their $100,000 investment? but no, we just blindly go and pump it in and woddle on our blindless way.

Like I said before, I do a quick one cup dump every month and run a additive year round because I worked my dirty little greasy but off on overtime to be able to even afford my $50k truck. The last thing I need to happen is get a bad slug of fuel, go to dealer under warranty and get denied a claim because there was water in the fuel that trashed my high pressure pump and injectors.

Diesels are not for everyone anymore, gone are the days of them running on anything you throw in them. These engines are extremely complicated and I am going to make sure to do my part in taking care of it. Oil change every 5k with Ford approved oil, fuel filter change every 15k, coolant every 30k, trans drain and refill every 15k, transfer every, 60k, diffs every 100k.

Trans fluid change every 15k ??? That’s worse than draining water monthly on the insanity scale. What’s the manual say on that? My Lexus trans is not serviceable and says the oil will last the life of the trans! Maybe we need to get some Lexus trans fluid. I’m thinking 60k on trans interval and that’s heavy duty use.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fuel separator should be drained by the amount of fuel consumed. Doing every month for me is about 1500-2000L. For the average guy, every month might be 400L of fuel (divide by 4ish to get gallons lol). I drain about every month at due to my consumption or if I have to fuel up at a sketchy station.

Another interval I see people using that is wrong is the fuel filter change based on mileage. It should be changed based off of engine hours. The manual states 600hr intervals. I do mine at 500hr intervals to keep it nice and even. Mileage means nothing. If you use your truck for city delivery and the other guy uses his truck only on long highway trips, why would they change fuel filters at the same interval? The city guy would be using a lot more fuel than the highway guy.

Trans every 30k (assuming miles so 50k kms) is crazy. 60k miles is when I do mine even though the manual states a crazy amount of time.

Diffs, I do when the fluid darkens. Again, this way is based off of usage and not mileage.

Remember the city guy and the highway guy? Now throw a third person in there that is a hotshot driver pulling 15k lbs every day. Now throw a 4th person into the mix that drives in 4x4 for 5 months out of the year cause he lives in a remote northern Canadian town and there is no snow removal services. Catch my drift? Your mileage intervals may not be the same as another person intervals.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Yes, you heard it right. Tranny every 15k. I don't bring it in to get it flushed I just do it at home.

Ford stopped installing drain plugs on the tranny pans back around 2018 ish but.............................. you can order a 2015 tranny pan with a drain plug and it bolts right up to our newer 2019s. What does this allow you to do...................simple drop the drain plug on the tranny pan and get about 6-8 quarts out. I let it drain into a painters mixing 5 gallon bucket. The amount of tranny fluid that comes out you just put back in with new Mercon LV. It usually costs around $40.

The last time I checked, Boyer Ford in MN was charging north of $275 for a tranny flush. You do your math now and tell what is cheaper and easier?????

Sitting in a waiting room for a couple of hours or doing it in conjunction with your oil change interval and taking an extra 15 minutes.

I'm from the school of no tranny flush machines, Have you ever looked inside one of them at a dealership???? I bet if you did you would never have a flush done again. Talk to some mechanics or google it, drain and refill is the best preventive way to keep a good tranny fresh for the life of the truck. Flushing can promote some bad things inside these trannys.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
How many quarts in total does the system hold? I agree I’m not going to do the flush at dealer and I understand the method but I thought you could fine the inlet line somewhere and drop a hose in a bucket of new Mercon. Been years since I did a trans cause my last truck the trans gernaded right when it needed to be flushed And got a new trans. But from memory i thought that was how I did that

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
yeah that method has bounced around the ol interweb too but that has its flaws too. google that and you get mixed reviews about that.

The best method is to do a drain and refill. Typically you get about half the fluid out of the pan when you drain. I have found that you actually get less than half. Thats why I do it every 15k to keep the fluid as a general clean and all additives up to snuff.

Some guys out there, drain and refill. Then drive around for a day and repeat the drain and refill one or even two more times. This make sure you get all the fluid replaced in the torque converter and tranny cooler/lines.

Again, the idea here is that your not completely replacing the fluid one for one but keeping up on it as a whole by draining and mixing in new fluid. That way if there are any small clutch material in the bottom pan your not forcing it thru the small solenoids and valve body of the tranny.

cheap insurance for something that can cost you an arm and leg to replace out of warranty. Tranny's are always those mysterious things that you don't think about until its too late and once its too late you better get your checkbook out cause no one rebuilds trannys for free anymore.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
@jetjock15 - Here is an excerpt from my 2017 manual on intervals. Whopping 150k miles of the trans. I'll be doing mine before 150k since I tow heavily. Probably 75k.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, you heard it right. Tranny every 15k. I don't bring it in to get it flushed I just do it at home.
...drain and refill is the best preventive way to keep a good tranny fresh for the life of the truck. Flushing can promote some bad things inside these trannys.
I did a drain / filter replace/ refill at 60K miles. My plan was to drain and refill at 90K (take a sample and have it tested) then drain and replace filter at 120K. Or take a sample from the dip stick at 90K and proceed from there (leaning toward this for now).
@scha0786 how does the fluid look after 15K?

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
@jetjock15 - Here is an excerpt from my 2017 manual on intervals. Whopping 150k miles of the trans. I'll be doing mine before 150k since I tow heavily. Probably 75k.
Thanks, I like your logic I’ll prob do around 75k and do the drain refill drive drain refill method.

There is smart and then there is throwing money out the window. Just have to do what suits you. Thank you guys as always

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
fluid usually looks pretty clean.

$40 every year is cheap insurance. It's only like 6-8 quarts, you can buy a case of 12 quarts of moto LV on amazon for like $60.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How does water in fuel look?

Lots of people, including myself, drain their water separator and never find anything which is good. I added some to one of my samples to see how easy it would be to spot. Initially it can appear as bubbles/foam but after settling you can definitely see the water sinking to the bottom. These are photos of how it might look if you found water in your fuel.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: I let the containers sit for 2 months without being moved. No settling of water to the bottom. No smell of diesel when I took the lid off. I poured them out on my fence line and it didn’t even kill the grass/weeds. I tried to light it on fire and nothing. I definitely had all that water. I have since been informed of similar incidents in the area from a certain fuel station.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe it was DEF?
Is the DEF tank connected to the fuel tank in any way? I haven’t traced out the piping to see. I haven’t even used much DEF in the life of the truck so that would seem unlikely unless someone added def into the fuel tank by accident. Just strange and I’m trying to investigate exactly what occurred to prevent it in the future.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts