Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
lol, you guys make me laugh.

why do something yourself when you can overpay an unqualified kid to do while you sit and google on your phone in the waiting room while you watch your bank account deplete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After reading some of the comments I went ahead and let the fuel get below a quarter of a tank. Turned the yellow drain plug and after about two minutes it stopped draining. Changed out the filter in about ten minutes. Thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excessive Water

I just drained about 5 gallons of water from my tank. Pure water for the first 4.5 gallons at least then turned slightly yellow tint at the end. I used a glass jar to check for color every few minutes during the process and it looked like drinking water. It took forever to drain that much out. I'm guessing I got a slug from one of the stations I stopped at. I generally use the same station as much as possible, but can't always do that when travelling.

My water drain interval is going to be a lot more frequent from now on until I can prove it was a one time occurrence.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I just drained about 5 gallons of water from my tank. Pure water for the first 4.5 gallons at least then turned slightly yellow tint at the end. I used a glass jar to check for color every few minutes during the process and it looked like drinking water. It took forever to drain that much out. I'm guessing I got a slug from one of the stations I stopped at. I generally use the same station as much as possible, but can't always do that when travelling.

My water drain interval is going to be a lot more frequent from now on until I can prove it was a one time occurrence.
It's hard to believe you didn't have a light on your dash warning you with that much water in the fuel. I've owned my 2019 for 15 months and have never had a drop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's hard to believe you didn't have a light on your dash warning you with that much water in the fuel. I've owned my 2019 for 15 months and have never had a drop.[/QUOTE]

No indicator light. I was performing the routine filter replacement

·
Registered
192 Posts
The warning light should have come on at a fraction of that amount. If there was truly that much water in there, then your fuel system is totalled.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If the light comes on, it's usually too late at that point. That's a lot of water. I'd run a tank through and change the filters out again for precaution.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's hard to believe you didn't have a light on your dash warning you with that much water in the fuel. I've owned my 2019 for 15 months and have never had a drop.
That's what I was thinking as well. I've seen where a little bit of snow from the pump nozzle got in the filler neck on our 550 and triggered the WiF light. I drained a quart of fuel and let it sit for an hour and didn't see a thing. 5 gallons of water should have had that light on in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
4.5 gallons? That's more than the filter housing holds! With that much water I would think the truck would run terribly and possibly even cause pump damage.

Time to get that water sensor checked. Apparently codes such as this are stored in the computer memory and cannot be erased....so Ford can see if it was triggered or what's up.

I changed my filters for the first time yesterday. Amazed at how easy it was compared to my old 6.0. Like other times where I drained the filter, no water at all. And the filter looked very clean still (almost 19k miles and 420 hours). Not a single visible particle in the tube screen that comes from the tank or the first filter mesh. Gives me confidence in the stations I frequent.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
I've been draining mine like once a month, so far its been all diesel.

5 gallons is a lot, are you sure it was all water? If so, i'd be nervous about your fuel system. water is not good for these new fuel systems. Its not like the old 7.3 IDI's back in the 80s where they would run on anything you poured in her. Just ask Peg from zip ties and bias plys about that one.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
I've been draining mine like once a month, so far its been all diesel.

5 gallons is a lot, are you sure it was all water? If so, i'd be nervous about your fuel system. water is not good for these new fuel systems. Its not like the old 7.3 IDI's back in the 80s where they would run on anything you poured in her. Just ask Peg from zip ties and bias plys about that one.
Once a month? I drained mine once at a year and 10k. I’m at 12k now. How often does ford recommend. Monthly is excessive

·
Registered
30 Posts
Once a month? I drained mine once at a year and 10k. I’m at 12k now. How often does ford recommend. Monthly is excessive
Monthly isn't excessive when you consider the cost of having water get to the HPFP. At least the drain is easily accessible unlike the Dodges where the filter/separator is literally mounted above the drive shaft in the center of the truck.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
Super easy too. Don’t let the epa heat this but most of the time I just open and dump to the gravel driveway where I’m at. Most of them time I just do a quick cup and it dries right up. Water is a killer of these new trucks. It ain’t like my Jetta.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Ha ok guys. You are the 1%ers! For good or bad I’ll stay indifferent lol. Only about 3-4% of owners are in this type forum, and of that few only a minority are crawling under their $80k truck to drain fuel on a monthly basis lol. But I agree your safe if you do it monthly for sure, I’m just not doing that. If it’s truly a requirement that I come to learn about then I’ll get rich in the lawsuit. Nobody told me about that at purchase. This is my fourth diesel and 6th superduty so don’t mistake me for somebody new to the game. But monthly is a fools task. Since nobody was quick to answer my question on what ford recommended, then I’m forced to check my owners manual. Whatever that says I’ll stick with. I’m guessing 10 or 15k

·
Registered
244 Posts

4.5 gallons of water? More like 4-5 gallons of clear diesel. Your fuel system would of failed.

There have been many 2017 owners reporting that when they drain their frame mounted fuel filter, the fuel just keeps on coming. I’ve heard of a handful of 2018s having the same problem. I’ve never had that issue with my 18 and don’t know the solution.

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
You sure someone didn’t fill it up with gas accidentally? Like a wife
Or son that borrowed your truck.

Also, that’s what’s wrong with society these days, no one wants
To get dirty and crawl under things anymore. The mentality of, “I have people to do that” or “I’m above getting dirty”

Nut up, get your suit pants dirty and don’t blame someone else for being lazy and taking matters in your own hands. Check it at least every oil change. It literally takes 1 minute.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No diesel smell and no color until the very end of draining. Started and stopped multiple times. I had to start the engine and move the truck at one point as well. Smelled, felt like, and looked like pure water. The pic is after 4 gallons. I haven’t personally seen clear diesel that is no smell before.
You may want to take some of that liquid in the attached photo and pour it into a small container of diesel and see if separation occurs. If it does separate then you definitely had water in your system. I'm not questioning you integrity but it seems odd that you didn't experience catastrophic fuel system failure with 4 gallons of water in your tank. That's over 10% of your max total fuel tank capacity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may want to take some of that liquid in the attached photo and pour it into a small container of diesel and see if separation occurs. If it does separate then you definitely had water in your system. I'm not questioning you integrity but it seems odd that you didn't experience catastrophic fuel system failure with 4 gallons of water in your tank. That's over 10% of your max total fuel tank capacity.[/QUOTE]

I was worried about a failure as well. Shocked that the truck was running. Had this happen in a 7.3 and the truck ran like crap then died until the water was drained out. Same thing on an inboard boat engine.

I just spoke with some of the chemical engineers from a local refinery. Turns out that renewable diesel can be clear like water, but still should have an odor to it. The properties are almost identical to fossil fuel diesel. It is possible I had a batch of biodiesel. Should have been well mixed in the tank though. Seeing how the final bit had a yellow tint I had to assume a break point between water at a SG = 1 and diesel with an SG = 0.9 had occurred. Even if I drained a few gallons of clear diesel, the yellow and clear should have been well mixed with the water settling on the bottom after sitting still for a while. I’m just trying to figure it out.

Good idea on the gravity separation. I will go check the containers.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts