Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, New to the site and was looking for some help. I recently tried to drain my water separator to change out the fuel filter on my 2017 F 250. I turned the valve and let it start to drain. About 10 minutes later it was still draining and I had filled about 4 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket. I disconnected the recommended fuel line connect but that didn't seem to help. Any idea why it is doing this? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
279 Posts
From now on, make sure your truck is below 1/4 tank of fuel before you do the filter swap. That prevents excessive fuel draining from my experience.

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
^^Good advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From now on, make sure your truck is below 1/4 tank of fuel before you do the filter swap. That prevents excessive fuel draining from my experience.
This is exactly what I have to do for my 17. Had the same issue.
My 19 manual says that approx 1/2 gallon will come out and does not say anything about removing any lines at the tank.
It’s a 17 only thing for some reason.

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
There are no lines to remove to drain the separator on the '17. You do need to remove the sensor connection to remove/change the filter though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never paid attention to my fuel level before changing water separator. Just drain and take apart. I have a 17 and no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Everyone, New to the site and was looking for some help. I recently tried to drain my water separator to change out the fuel filter on my 2017 F 250. I turned the valve and let it start to drain. About 10 minutes later it was still draining and I had filled about 4 gallons into a 5 gallon bucket. I disconnected the recommended fuel line connect but that didn't seem to help. Any idea why it is doing this? Any help is appreciated. Thank you
You actually have 2 fuel filters that are supposed to be changed every 20,000 miles (according to the local Ford dealers service dept).

Even though I know how to change them on my truck I take it to the dealer and let them deal with the hassles of changing them, re pressurizing the fuel system afterwards and the inevitable headaches that arise from the procedure. I'd rather sit in the customer lounge while they get dirty doing the work, the only maintenance items I do myself are changing the oil (16 qts) and oil filters (yes, it's not a typo, my truck has a dual oil filter system mounted on the frame, 1 gets changed every 10,000 miles and both get changed every 20,000 miles) one filter is "a full flow" filter and holds 1Qt, the 2nd filter is a "bypass filter" (5% of the oil goes into this filter and is returned to the engine) it holds 1 1/2 Qts of oil, and the hoses connecting the filter housing to the oil filter inlet on the engine hold around 1/2 a Qt of oil, I also remove and clean the K&N air filter every 100,000 miles IAW their maintenance schedule.

I don't drain the entire oil system when I replace the full flow filter, I take an oil sample and send it off for analysis, if it tells me that the oil is good for continued service I just top off the system, when the analysis report comes back telling me that the oil is not good for continued use I drain the system, replace both filters and refill with new oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You actually have 2 fuel filters that are supposed to be changed every 20,000 miles (according to the local Ford dealers service dept).

Even though I know how to change them on my truck I take it to the dealer and let them deal with the hassles of changing them, re pressurizing the fuel system afterwards and the inevitable headaches that arise from the procedure. I'd rather sit in the customer lounge while they get dirty doing the work, the only maintenance items I do myself are changing the oil (16 qts) and oil filters (yes, it's not a typo, my truck has a dual oil filter system mounted on the frame, 1 gets changed every 10,000 miles and both get changed every 20,000 miles) one filter is "a full flow" filter and holds 1Qt, the 2nd filter is a "bypass filter" (5% of the oil goes into this filter and is returned to the engine) it holds 1 1/2 Qts of oil, and the hoses connecting the filter housing to the oil filter inlet on the engine hold around 1/2 a Qt of oil, I also remove and clean the K&N air filter every 100,000 miles IAW their maintenance schedule.

I don't drain the entire oil system when I replace the full flow filter, I take an oil sample and send it off for analysis, if it tells me that the oil is good for continued service I just top off the system, when the analysis report comes back telling me that the oil is not good for continued use I drain the system, replace both filters and refill with new oil.
You go to all that work for the engine oil and you don't want to change two of the easiest fuel filters on the face of the earth? I don't understand your reasoning here, but then again maybe I don't need to :wink: .

·
Registered
46 Posts
You go to all that work for the engine oil and you don't want to change two of the easiest fuel filters on the face of the earth? I don't understand your reasoning here, but then again maybe I don't need to :wink: .
I tried to change them once before and it was a royal pain in the ***, bleeding the air out of the hi and low pressure fuel lines and then re-pressurize the fuel system, no thanks I'll pay someone to do it for me. It was far easier and less of a headache to change out the fuel filter in my Peterbilt.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I change the filter under the hood by releasing the three clips and spinning the filter housing. Easy. I drain the separator and undo 8 or 10 screws and replace the filter. Prime the system by “Turning the key” on and off a few times without starting. Systems all primed. I don’t know what the guy above is talking about. Lol.

“Turning the key” was used cause I have push button start.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Absolutely critical. The DIC should notify when the "truck" thinks the filters need to be changed or you can do them every other oil change.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You don’t have to change the filters. When your fuel system gets all plugged up, just light a match and cash in on the insurance. Lol.

I change my filters every 30,000km and drain about 5oz out of my water separator every 8,000km. (8,000km because I do a lot of highway driving so that’s every 8 tanks or so)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I change the filter under the hood by releasing the three clips and spinning the filter housing. Easy. I drain the separator and undo 8 or 10 screws and replace the filter. Prime the system by “Turning the key” on and off a few times without starting. Systems all primed. I don’t know what the guy above is talking about. Lol.

Yeah, I think changing the fuel filters is actually easier and quicker than changing the oil.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Which 8 or 10 screws? It just one big nut on the bottom of the filter housing.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
1 - 20 of 64 Posts