Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the average lifespan of of the stock water pump? My radiator is weeping at the top seam so im debating about putting a pump in since it's easy with radiator out. On the other hand I here radiator is pretty easy to rip out so wait till it goes. Just curious I guess...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Personally if it were me....I would replace the water pump while I had the radiator and all the other stuff out. New OEM pump is between $175 and $200. I don't like having to take out stuff more than once so I have a tendency to replace normal wear/tear parts while I'm addressing other matters. May cost more up-front but gives me better piece of mind and less headaches later.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Ive got 104k on mine. But Im gonna go ahead and replace the rad ($327). and the water pump ($314) with Bullet Proof Diesel's equipment. Do it once and forget it...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive got 104k on mine. But Im gonna go ahead and replace the rad ($327). and the water pump ($314) with Bullet Proof Diesel's equipment. Do it once and forget it...[/

Those are what I was looking at putting in. I need to do ball joints and brakes soon too so would like to hold off a little even though I know I should do it once and be done

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
327 is high. I got my all aluminum radiator for 213 shipped.

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive got 104k on mine. But Im gonna go ahead and replace the rad ($327). and the water pump ($314) with Bullet Proof Diesel's equipment. Do it once and forget it...[/

Those are what I was looking at putting in. I need to do ball joints and brakes soon too so would like to hold off a little even though I know I should do it once and be done
I am facing the exact same problem now, as my radiator busted last week. I am right around 125K miles. I have not had any problems with my water pump, but I am choosing to replace now while everything has to be taken off. I ordered the aluminum BPD water pump today, and fully expect that is now a part I will never deal with again for the life of the vehicle.

FWIW, the cheapest place I found for an OEM water pump is at Park Cities Ford in the Dallas area. Through Fordparts website they have it listed for $144. Tousley has it listed for $160.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rock auto
Motorcraft part #PW480
$137.79

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,084 Posts
If your year model engine (not sure if you have an early 04 or late one) has the smaller water pump with the plastic fins, it is a good idea to change it out (maybe all 2004's have it - I just can't recall). I think the BPD water pumps are pretty darn nice!! You could update the front cover and install the larger water pump.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your year model engine (not sure if you have an early 04 or late one) has the smaller water pump with the plastic fins, it is a good idea to change it out (maybe all 2004's have it - I just can't recall). I think the BPD water pumps are pretty darn nice!! You could update the front cover and install the larger water pump.
It's a late 04. BPD told me it would be the larger one (100mm I think). I passed on the pump for now. That will probably come back to bite me!! Lol.

So is it only the 03s that have the plastic impellers that crack?

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
I have an early 04 and I'm running over 190, 000+ miles on the original pump. Still going strong.

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
And this is the very thing that I pondered over and over. Is the BPD water pump worth the extra cash? I do have 104k on the stock one now with no issues...but, this next June Ill be loaded to the max, wife, kids, dog, camper, four wheeler and all the rest of the stuff that goes with the camper. I will be pulling the Con. divide in 95* @ 10,000 feet and I will not think twice about the water pump. That is why I went with all Bullet Proof. I wanna drive it,not fix it.
And thats my .02.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
One of the issues with the OEM water pump is, the plastic impeller can crack and spin off the water pump shaft. Even though it's not a common problem, it does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 12 of 12 Posts