Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving down the road this evening when I felt a odd vibration, I didn't think nothing about it at first because I was almost to my destination. Well when I put the truck in park and was letting the turbo cool down I felt the vibration again, and also noticed a strange noise. So I popped the hood and looked and tried to hear the sound. Then I noticed that the fan looked like it was doing funny things and herd the noise and it was coming from the front of the engine compartment. So I shut the truck off and looked at the fan blades and they marks on them that looked like they had been rubbing against the fan shroud, the only thing I can thing of is that the bearing is going out on the water pump. Any other ideas????????????

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
if the water pump was going, it would be leaking, might be a bad fan clutch.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm good point but its dark and sitting in a stone driveway so I will have to check that out tomorrow.

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
Have you had the fan off recently? I had mine off when I changed the water pump, and the shaft had a lot of play, but no leaks. I replaced the pump anyways, but after 20,000 miles, there is a fair amount of play in the shaft again

I took it apart later to do the crankshaft seal, and two of the four bolts that hold the fan on were just about ready to break off. I think I tightened them too much when I changed the water pump.

If you take the tension off of the belt, and grab the blades, you will be able to see the amount of play in the shaft.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how long would it take a experienced mechanic to change out a water pump?

·
Transmission or Injectors
743 Posts
pop off belt, undo fan bolts, undo shroud bolts, pull out fan, drain coolant, undo hoses, undo bolts, reinstall. Its probably a good idea to change the thermostat while you doing it too, because you will have to remove the neck from the top of the pump that contains the thermostat

1-2 hrs max. Remember which bolts come out of what holes . The lengths of the bolts are different, there are some that are shorter than the others

1 - 9 of 9 Posts