Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I just bought what looked like a clean well taken care of truck. We all know what the ford 6.0 Diesel engine is. I went ahead and bought a 6.0 with head studs and EGR delete done the truck has 97,000 miles runs great this truck is supper clean looks like new. I did not seam to notice the water in the transmission.
my question is where the water could be coming from? I assume from the radiator but one would think that the trans fluid would push into the radiator before the other way around.
I have been looking for a radiator to put in it but I'm afraid of getting a cheep one or some aftermarket one that does not fit properly. you guys have suggestion?
I hope changing the radiator out and flushing the trans will buy me time before I need to rebuild the trans.
im looking for some input on what others have done with changing out radiator OEM or after market what kind and from where?
any other posable places the water could be coming from?
any info will be hepfull.
thank you

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
The most likely place for water to get into the trans is from a ruptured cooler in the radiator. While the trans would be producing more pressure while the engine is running, once it's shut off, the coolant system pressure would be higher and allow coolant into the trans lines. If this is the scenario, you should also have trans fluid in the coolant.

The other likely way for water to get in the trans is from an inundation where the trans was under water for a period of time.

Reactions: Kingranch4x4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at a radiator 3row all aluminum on amazon ($165) or I could go with a mortcraft OEM for $350 I want to think all aluminum would be better over plastic and aluminum OEM stile

·
Premium Member
11,686 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably go with the Performance Radiator option rather than chancing it on eBay.
If you get the '03 radiator, it's all aluminum, but you'll need to swap the trans fittings if you have a newer model. If you order it through BPD, it will come with the right fittings, but you pay a premium for that. For whatever reason, their 04+ radiators have the plastic end tanks.

There are plenty of threads and posts on here about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts