Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few days my "water in fuel" light on the dash has been coming on randomly but doesnt stay on for more than one or 2 seconds maybe. And the light really has a tendency to come on when Im turning which really baffles me. Also since I bought the truck it has had a small oil leak on the drivers side on the outside of the motor just above the manifold however I cant see exactly where it's coming from because of all the parts in the way but It hasn't been bad enough to warrant looking until now. Just today I started smelling what smells like oil burning on the mailfold.

My oil pressure and engine temps are normal and the truck still runs like the day it was rolled out of the factory.

I'm at a loss for what to even start looking at or if there's some way these things could be related?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Probably they are not related. Could be the WIF sensor, located at the bottom of the fuel bowl. It's a fairly cheap part, at about 42 bux. I'd start there. Make sure your connector is tight and wires are firmly in the connector.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that sensor below that "stem" that comes up through the center of the fuel bowl or is it actually below the bowl itself. And what plugs in particular would need to be checked?

Also nice truck^

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
The plug is a white one on the bottom rear of the fuel bowl. The sensor looks like a circular wire thing in the bottom of the fuel bowl.

Thanks for the compliments!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks for the info. So are there any tricks to taking that stem out to check it? Ive had my fuel bowl off once before and didnt notice any real obvious way to remove that part.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
It's a screw I believe on the bottom of the bowl. Do a google search for guzzles powerstroke mod page and book mark it. In there it will tell you how to remove and change the heater/WIF sensor out. Pus there's a boatload of info on ther on many other things too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No kidding he has alot of info! Does all of that stuff apply for the OBS strokers too?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Most of it should...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright thanks again! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
No prob man.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Just open the valve while the truck is idling and drain as much out as you can. Mine does that intermittently and I drain it and its fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just open the valve while the truck is idling and drain as much out as you can. Mine does that intermittently and I drain it and its fine.
Hmm good idea probably should've already tried that by now. The weird thing about it though is it mostly comes on when I'm turning. Which makes no sense to me.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
It happens. Mine gets funky when the water level is high too. Just make sure you drain it somewhere that you dont mind the diesel gets all over unless you have time to try catching it all and dispose of it properly.

EDIT: And IF you haven't already tried draining your fuel/water sep due to your wif light being on, I'm really going to face-palm myself in real life.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It happens. Mine gets funky when the water level is high too. Just make sure you drain it somewhere that you dont mind the diesel gets all over unless you have time to try catching it all and dispose of it properly.

EDIT: And IF you haven't already tried draining your fuel/water sep due to your wif light being on, I'm really going to face-palm myself in real life.
Please ignore this whole thread I feel like the biggest idiot there ever was. I've got so much going on right now simple things like uh draining the fuel bowl just dont comprehend with me. :doh: Dont worry though i face palmed my self. Now I'm going to go slam my head in my hood until I get some common sense :banging:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Please ignore this whole thread I feel like the biggest idiot there ever was. I've got so much going on right now simple things like uh draining the fuel bowl just dont comprehend with me. :doh: Dont worry though i face palmed my self. Now I'm going to go slam my head in my hood until I get some common sense :banging:
now dont be silly... why ruin a perfectly good super duty hood? :laugh:

i kid, i kid. but did that fix your issue? I'm actually a little more upsetted by the fact that nobody else suggested doing that first instead of replacing ****.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes that did fix the problem there was a bit of water in the bottom I could see flush out when I opened the drain.

Going back to the oil problem, If I were to say, power wash the top of the motor, could that get water in the fuel bowl? If so is ther any other way to clean it?

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
No, you probably won't be able to get water in the filter bowl there. Use a good degreaser and wash it down...... Don't use a power washer. Just a hose. You could potentially get water inside the wiring connectors if you used a pressure washer.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright good to know

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
You PROBABLY wont mess anythign up w/ a powerswasher... but some good degreaser and a paper towel and the dirt and grime will literally fall off of that engine bay. Been there done that w/ one of my vehicles so greasy you'd be up to your elbows in grease just popping the hood and checking the oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts