Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1st post is out of shear frustration with my ownership of a 2008 6.4l. I bought it with 5000 mi in 2011, even though it went in service in 2007. I purchased it from a reputable Ford dealer, and on their advice I added a used vehicle warranty that would overlap the existing new vehicle warranty by one year. Plenty of coverage to ensure "protection". Well my 1st issue with the truck was with 20,000 mi on it. Hard starting one morning it appeared to be misfiring on a minimum of one cylinder, so I shut it down and almost didn't get it restarted, but did. I drove the truck to the dealer and left it with them, thinking I have complete warranty coverage.
So the story begins with Ford's diagnostic analysis of the symptoms my
6.4L began. As they dug deeper and deeper, (me still believing this was all covered under warranty) they got to the point of removing the cab from the truck and changing every piece in my fuel system. Why? My fuel pump had broken down inside, due to rust, and scattered metal fragments into my fuel system. Ford's conclusion is water in fuel and not covered by them. My repair bill to get my truck back, after 1 month without my truck, $10,200.00. WT_ kind of crap is Ford building. I own the following heavy equipment, Cat engines, Cummins engines, Isuzu engines, Kenworth Trucks, Hitachi, Cat and Kobelco excavators, Bomag rollers etc and the list goes on and never have I ever had a repair bill and complete failure of a company to honour it's obligation.
Comments from the dealer are, well 1) the biodiesel could have caused it, 2) contact Ford customer service
My thoughts are 1) I have done nothing wrong to not be covered by my warranty's 2) my vehicle never emitted any codes for water in fuel, etc 3) I fill up at reputable stations in a large metropolitan area and I am not a fuel biologist who can drive around and test the biodiesel I purchase, but guaranteed, all the diesel I purchased was under the allowable 5% limit 4) my dealer conviced me to purchase a used vehicle warranty(when I purchased the vehicle), that overlapped the existing vehicle warranty, because if I didn't and waited until the new vehicle warranty ran out, they could not guarantee the condition of the vehicle at that time and would have to do extensive tests on the vehicle to consider it suitable to warranty. 5)the vehicle went into service in Oct 2007, I purchased it in Mar 2011 with 5000 mi on. While it sat for multiple years with low useage did not the fuel in the fuel pump act on the metal and break it down. I owned it for 1.25 years of a total in service of 4.5 years. Isn't that what a used vehicle warranty is supposed to cover? 6) How can Ford create a vehicle that can be so severely damaged by biodiesel, when the govt allows biodiesel. Or how can water get into the system in the 1st place, do they not have a filtering system capable of removing contaminants.? 7) How can Ford create a vehicle that a simple bit of moisture, breaks down fuel pump(on a vehicle with 20,000 mi) and it can cost $10,000 to repair.
Ford Customer Service refers me to the dealer and the dealer refers me to FCS. I am getting nowhere, and looking like I may have to bear the entire cost of this.
This is the absolute worst treatment by what I thought was a reputable company. Ford is scamming it's cutomers, BIG TIME>

ANY Thoughts or HELP APPRECIATED

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Im sorry to hear that man. Fords water sep system is a joke! I never once had a water in fuel light come on in my truck. I now have an airdog on my truck to ensure that water and air dont get into my fuel system. Ford has been extremely confrontational with many people on this forum over repairs to there trucks fuel system, that as you can see sucks. I hope everything works out for you. I would start calling people, because with your multiple warranties someone should cover something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stories like this make me nervous. I have a 2008 job 2 and the only trouble I have had was the rad was leaking. Replace at my expense even thou seems alot of others had this issue. I had an extended warranty then canceled it. Warranties (IMO) are worthless. Always fine print for lack of responisiblity (on their end). If you have any coverage left ,I would cancel and get any coin back you can.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well bud, sorry to hear your bad luck. I hate hearing stories like this, especially as a die hard Ford enthusiast who has had ZERO major problems with both my 6.0 and 6.4. I'm extremely anal about maintenance and overdue it a lot.

IMHO (and before I get goin, I must remind you i'm not a mechanic, I'm a civil engineer, and I just work on diesels for fun) the fact that your truck only had 5k miles in 4 years would concern me. I would have been concerned how long your truck sat with a single tank of gas in it with no additive. These trucks are designed to run--everyday--and if they aren't, your fuel can and will go bad...condensation, gunk, buildup, etc. Diesels and gas cars/trucks that sit long periods of time without the fluids constantly circulating tend to gunk up and go bad, from my experience. Not saying this might have happened to you, but based off the amount of crap I drain from my oil/water separator every two weeks, I can only imagine what fuel looks like after months, even years of sitting.

I put about 25K miles on my trucks a year, follow strict maintenance schedules, and use fuel additives every fill up. May be overkill, but I didn't make a big investment to be cheap on the maintenance side. I rely on my truck everyday for work, and I cannot afford a break down, so I try to treat her the best.

I'm not saying you didn't treat her the best or do the proper maintenance--i'm just saying 5K miles over 3-4 years is not acceptable for our trucks--most likely it has been due to the previous owner unfortunately. If anything, as you have seen, it's detrimental. Imagine all the oil draining off of your cylinders, and the condensation and rust that could potentially form on it. Scares me thinking about it. A lot of misconceptions with cars/trucks is low miles for early years means a better value--this means the car/truck sat a lot with old fuel, oil, coolant, fluids, etc.--which is not good for any motor, and in my eyes decreases the value.

Anyway, I hate it for you man. I can't necessarily blame Ford for all the problems if the truck hasn't been run properly, or at all with fresh fuel. I'm not excusing them either for not holding their end of the deal. It's a tough industry to be in, and it's very frustrating to be in your shoes. I wish the best for you man. I really do. Keep us posted, and don't give up on the blue oval.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I try and not let my truck sit longer then 3-4 days for this reason

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
ford shouldve made a better w/f separator. a lot of busted fuel systems with extremely unhappy owners. same goes for other makers but that doesnt make it ok.

wish fuel stations would properly filter their diesel so owners dont suffer the consequences. successful lawsuits against gas stations are few and far between. i fill at one place often. found a lot rust in my last filter change. told them but of course it was just excuses, copouts and carelessness.

i drain once a month and change filters every 10k miles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I guess I'm paranoid but I drain mine weekly and change filters every 8,000 miles

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm even more paranoid mine get changed at 10,000km which is about 6200miles

·
Registered
34 Posts
It really boils down to your fuel source. I have the benefit of being able to buy my fuel at one fuel source with the rare exception of having to purchase fuel while on extended hunting trips. If I have to use an unfamiliar fuel source, I have a clear glass apple cider 1 gallon jug which I use to pull off the first gallon of fuel from the pump to inspect, if good, I dump the gallon jug into the truck and fill it up. It's not perfect, but I've never had any contaminants show up when I drain my fuel separator into the same jug to inspect. I put the empty 1 gallon glass jug behind my seat for the next time it's needed.

I also take the time to provide feedback to the store manager be it positive or negative regarding my observations. Paranoid....yes, however, I invested $50K into this truck and I'm not going to throw caution into the wind and hope that I get good fuel because it is expected that I get good fuel. 3-4 minutes extra effort for some peace of mind.

I worked in Afghanistan for the past 3 years and 4 years in Iraq prior to that. I've seen fuel delivery trucks also dual purposed as septic trucks and even water trucks. When I asked WTF they were thinking I get "but Mister Brad, I rinse it out real good before I use it for you".... I'm pretty certain that is not the case here in the good ole US of A, however, I'm pretty confident that the guy that delivers the fuel to a given fuel station could give a **** what is pumped from his truck as, he to, assumes the fuel is clean when he receives it not to mention that many of the fuel stations have tanks in the ground that 'may' or 'may not' be in a serviceable condition. Again, too many unknowns to me to blindly dump fuel from the pump without at least taking a look at the first gallon.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts