Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wif light came on...I drained the separator ...less than an ounce of water ...

Would that have triggered the light?

There was a good bit of sediment or trash or something that came out too...thank god for filters.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Yes that would have tripped the light, occasionally you have to remove the cover and clean out the chamber that the sensor screws into. It gets full of tash and can cause a false signal.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Do you have a CTS and have out ever used a bullydog programmer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
There's probably a lot of lodged residue still in the seperator shorting out the wif sensor. You wouldn't believe the crap that thing will collect

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a CTS and have out ever used a bullydog programmer.

I have the insight cts and run the non studded srl tune

There's probably a lot of lodged residue still in the seperator shorting out the wif sensor. You wouldn't believe the crap that thing will collect

How can you clean that crap out?
Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
you need to pull the 4 fuel lines off of the cover, disconnect the wif connector and unbolt the 4 cover screws (1/4" head size)

once the cover is off you will see all the crap that's collected in there over the life of the truck. If you have an older style pump there will be a fuel heater in the side cover also. The fuel heater was known for getting shorted out by all of this sludge and was removed from later pumps/side covers. A new side cover won't have a heater in it.

here is a pic I took of a removed side cover with a fuel heater. This truck also had a wif light that would not go out. It got a new side cover and fuel pump harness with no heater

·
Registered
35 Posts
Details on how to replace cover?

Matt, I'm having the same problem -- WIF light won't go out. I just replaced the sensor and it flickered off a few times right after replacing it, but now it's staying on all the time.

So it looks like the next thing I have to do is what you did -- remove, clean and replace the cover. I've never done it before, so a few questions:

1) Where's the best place to buy a new cover?

2) Is it a simple swap-out, or since the new one doesn't have a heater, does that affect the electrical system? (Also, it's OK not to have the heater on the new one? It's not needed?)

3) How do I keep copious amounts of fuel from leaking out? Do I just plug up the lines, or will they not leak regardless because the pump isn't on?

4) What tools will I need to do the job?

If you can answer any or all of these questions, I sure would appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
A new cover is kind of expensive. They run about $106 at a discount parts store like tousleyfordparts.com. Check ebay, I believe there's one on there for about $90 right now.

The part number for the cover is 6C3Z-9B249-A and a new jumper harness(to delete the fuel heater plug) is 6C3Z-9F759-A

There shouldn't be a lot of fuel that leaks out, some for sure, but not a lot. Just drain the water seperator until it quits running then disconnect the 4 fuel lines from the cover. I'm not sure of the exact line sizes but I believe you'll need 3/8" and 5/16" quick disconnect tools, there are 2 lines of each size coming out of the pump. Once the lines are disconnected and both water sep/fuel heater plugs are unplugged the cover will come right off after unscrewing the 4 bolts. Only the front lines will need the disconnect tools, the rear lines release by pressing on the tab.

After the cover is off you'll likely see a lot of junk built up in the pump. Brake clean makes short work of all the sludge.

Pay attention to the top of the fuel pump with the cover off. There is a black piece that is kind of spring loaded on the top shelf of the pump. Sometimes it wants to fly out, other times it stays put. It's called the DTRM, diesel thermo recirculation module. It's responsible for recirculating warm fuel back to the engine rather than dumping it into the tank.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Also note if you have a bullydog programmer and a edge cs or cts it will keep your wif light on all the time. I went round and round with this till I called edge. Took off my cts and sure enough light went out. Just in case you have them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Edge CTS keeps WIF light on all the time?!!!

@WarChild

I DO have a CTS!!! I just installed it recently but didn't make the connection that they'd be related.

How is that possible?!!!

I'll try disconnecting the CTS to see if the WIF light goes out.

Is there any work-around for this?

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
@WarChild

I DO have a CTS!!! I just installed it recently but didn't make the connection that they'd be related.

How is that possible?!!!

I'll try disconnecting the CTS to see if the WIF light goes out.

Is there any work-around for this?
This only applies if you use a cts AND a bullydog tunner and no there is no way around it. To clarify. If you have a cts alone or with say like a sct tuner the wif light should work correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Edge CTS keeps WIF light on all the time?!!!

Here's a video showing how the Water In Fuel light on my 6.0 liter 2003 F250 is coming on due to the Insight CTS device I installed: Insight CTS water in fuel issue by Daniel Odio-Paez on Socialcam - Nov 28

I emailed Edge about the problem, but they believe it's limited to just my vehicle (!!!). They wrote, "I think this issue may be something we can't fix as we have to pull data to view the parameters and the act of pulling data doesn't typically cause any issues whatsoever."

If you have installed an Insight product and your water in fuel light is on, please test it as I did in the video above. If yours is doing the same thing, PLEASE email the folks at Edge, at [email protected] so they know I'm not the only one with the problem. Maybe they'll figure out a way to fix it if they realize there are others with the same problem, since they don't seem to care too much when it's just me.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Do you run a bully dog programmer with the edge monitor? Does the light go off when you take the monitor off or unplug the WIF sensor?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts