Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i jumped in my truck to get some lunch and when i got in i noticed some water on my grab handle on the drivers pillar ( its raining) so i looked and thought it just run in when i opened the door but sure enough it was running out where the handle meets the pillar. so i road to the store and did not see much after i wiped it but when i got back in the truck to come home it was leaking again now where the headliner meets the pillar plastic dripping on my knee wtf!!! i called the dealer right away and got a first thing call in the morning anybody seen this on there 09' or 08' could it be the sunroof pan clogged and overflowing it seems to come in when i backed up. a new truck with leaks already great!
Chris :banging:

·
Registered
38 Posts
just noticed the same thing on my truck.i tried to wipe out around the sunroof seal and rain channel, it wont stop! it is still raining ,and dark so it is hard to really see whats up .the water is coming out by the grab handle just like yours. mine is a 08 250qc

·
Registered
542 Posts
Looking at mine yesterday, it seems like they are designed to handle a minimal amount of leaking around the seal. Are they supposed to leak at all? Not sure of that one. There is a channel all the way around that catches water and sends it out of holes at the corners. I'd check to see how clean those holes are and on a dry day, maybe even test them with a cup of water to see if they're draining properly. I could hear mine gurgle as I first moved the truck after a rain all night.

It also looks like the spot welds in the sheet metal of the roof, that the sunroof seals against, cause dents/curves along that line, preventing a perfect seal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well I can't speak for the Ford truck but I had the same problem with our g8 gxp and it was a hose that drains the sun roof channel came unhooked. Maybe the same thing?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was at the dealer this morning and after 2 hours they call my name and hand me a invoice so i read it it stated no leaks found sorry that was not good enough i know it was leaking so i *****ed and got with the lead tech. that checked it. he said he hosed the hell out of it and saw nothing then checked the rain gutter/drain hoses all seem fine. the funny thing is it did not leak this morning so he said if i see water again he will need the truck for the day to drop the headliner. he said it could be leaking anywhere and running to that point he is supposed to check with ford for any known leak issues and gave me his phone# if i see a leak call him. i am betting its that damn sunroof i dont even use!!! i guess we will see what happens no water tonight either.
Chris :doh:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reviving this thread! Its been raining today and i noticed water dripping from my overhead light it drips right in my cupholder this is the second time i seen this wondering if its the sunroof drains clogged or a roof light maybe leaking? The first time the dealer blew the drain out with air that was about a year ago now water again! Anyone having this issue?
Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
wow this thread has been dead for over a year lol.

I would blow it out with a air hose.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to try that tomorrow just have to watch using to muck pressure i guess it could blow the line off the sunroof tray which i think was the original problem thats why it leak down the pillar!
Chris

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
wow this thread has been dead for over a year lol.

I would blow it out with a air hose.
He's the OP so it's allowed. :)

Hey stroke, did you add the lights yourself or were they installed at the factory. Keep us informed of what you find out. I have a sunroof also, no problems on my end though.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No the light are factory so i am kinda thinking they aren't the issue but i am going to dig into it in the morning let you know what i find if anything!
Chris

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hopefully it's just the drain holes blocked again and nothing major. If you still have your warranty, you may want to have the dealer address it and possibly replace the headliner and insulation if water got through them.

Could result in mold down the road which would really blow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a factory sunroof as well and mine was leaking from overhead lamp and into the cup holder. After some research on the net I found other people having same problem. Turned out being the weather strip was getting deformed from venting the roof all the time and closing it. So the cure for it was cycling the sunroof (opening it a little) then closing it. Instead of vent/close. It has never leaked since I started doing this.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the drains looked fine blew them out also i dont even use the sunroof wish it wasn't there! please explain this venting thing a little further my weather strip is perfect.
Chris

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Chris, if I read it right I think what he's describing is opening the sun roof, then closing it. It's possible that when you vent and close it's tweaking the weather strip whereas opening then closing allows the weather strip to seat properly.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got ya i dont even use it for a vent but i checked the rubber and put a thin coat of lube on it closed/opened it a few look like it made good contact everywhere. The tray was pretty clean but i could not find the rear drain holes i dont think they would be the problem though no water goes in the back anywhere.
Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts