Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a wastegate on a 1995 powerstroke that didn't come with one? Is it not possible or if so, how difficult/easy was it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I understand the way it works on 99's and earlier, it dumps the Exhaust gases before they go through the turbo thus reducing EGT's? I was just curious because my mechanic mentioned maybe figuring out how to install one on my rebuilt 7.3 to help control EGT's while towing.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It's just going to limit your boost which really isn't needed on an OBS. If EGTs are getting out of hand, you need to open up the exhaust, intercool it, and/or back out of the throttle. There was an ATS Turbo replacement available a long time ago that had a wastegate. Cheers!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I decided not to try it. What brought all this up was yesterday I picked up my truck after having a complete rebuild 7.3 done. I drove it up a 10 mile mountain grade that had a speed limit of 45 and a lot of 35 and I was noticing my EGT's were climbing up to the 800-850 range in third gear and would drop when I shifted down but RPM's were at 2200-2500. But a little while ago I realized I had a brain fart because I forgot I have a Edge programmer that I took out when the engine was being built so I need to reinstall it today and it should take care of my EGT problem just like it did before the rebuild. Being 70 I'm surprised I remembered the Edge so quickly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's just going to limit your boost which really isn't needed on an OBS. If EGTs are getting out of hand, you need to open up the exhaust, intercool it, and/or back out of the throttle. There was an ATS Turbo replacement available a long time ago that had a wastegate. Cheers!
I do have a after market Banks inner cooler,3" DP and 4" turbo back cat delete, and just installed a WW2 in the turbo.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you tow a lot, the intercooler would be helpful in the mountains. However, it isn't necessary if you are willing to control the gearbox and your speed.

I use my '96 for towing a 26-foot travel trailer around the country, and when I see EGTs getting into the 1200F range, I simply downshift and/or reduce speed to keep it from rising into the danger territory of 1300F plus.

An intercooler would allow me to go faster in a higher gear with safe EGTs. But I don't care about doing that, so I've been happy these past 24 years with my trusty ole F250 just the way she was made; plus a few vanity mods, of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts