Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started using a 50/50 blend of waste motor oil and diesel fuel in my 95 powerstroke. Filtered through a 10 micron primary filter and then a 2 micron filter before pumping into the tank. I only have about 300 miles use so far, but have noticed no difference in performance. It does smoke a little more though. Does anyone here have any experience using blended fuels? Is there a way to remove the carbon from the used oil easily? I am new to this sight but not new to diesels. Comments/Questions?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
:ORG welcome:
I can't help you with the used oil though, Just don't think it is a good idea. :(But here is a bump for ya.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I wouldnt run used motor oil even if it was filtered. 50/50 seems to be a pretty stiff ****tail of it too??

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a buddy that has been running 100% filtered waste oil for over a year. He mixes in jet fuel to get the viscosity correct as well as some tranny fluid. Apparently the viscosity is extremely important..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I should clarify what I meant/said.. I myself wouldnt run it, thats just me though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm... I thought about viscosity, but I have heard of others running as much as a 60/40 split without a problem. But then again a gambler usually only tells you of their winnings not there losses. I would be interested in any info you could forward to me. BTW viscosity should drop when running at NOT.

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
i am no pro. but i would think the injectors wouldn't care for it much. and 50/50? seems like thats a pretty hefty dose of used oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've started using a 2 stroke ashless synthetic oil in both of my diesels. It seems to be quieter and the mileage has improved.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I dont think hes talking about it for an additive but more a way to save on fuel prices

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
I figured that it was more of a way to save on fuel price and also a way to get rid of wast oil. Sometimes the local auto store doesn't want to take my wast oil so I make up a reason to go to the auto hoby shop on base to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Beyond the viscosity the problems I have with it is:
I am sure it polutes pretty darn good. All the buildup and blow by from the motor is in the oil now you burn it and you are throwing it back into the atmosphere.

Next is the suspended metal in the oil. Yes you filter it, but all the microscopic metal that was flushed out of your motor with an oil change, actually everyones oil change that you are using is now thrown right back into your motor. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
These threads kill me.

Whatever you do, make sure you give me a call first, cause I'm always running specials on injectors.
:hehe::hehe::hehe:

He does have a good point, But on a serious note this is why we have Threads. To get feedback on our thoughts.

I hope you decided against doing this. And wish you the best if you do.:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally someone with some experience. Can you be more specific on the process you use. I was beginnning to feel I was the only one on this forum that was blending fuel.
This forum seems to attract people that want performance, and aftermarket items to put there equipment over center. But thats OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
jmholley:

Maybe they had wisdom without your exact expectations of experience. Burning used motor oil or ATF fluid. Even with WVO it get filtered and de-watered first, so it can burn clean. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Real simple, I have access to as much clean used ATF as i can possibly have. "Transmission flushes on vehicles with low miles" I have a pump in my drum. I have a quad filtration system in line from the pump to the fuel tank. So the fluid gets filtered 4 separate times. The fluid then gets pumped into the tank.. Now heres the next bit. I dont pump the fluid from the bottom of the drum. Pump it from the top, it keeps any of the impurities at the bottom of the drum, and out of your fuel tank. Ive ran numerous tanks of fuel already on a 50/50 mix. and have inspected the fuel filter and found no impurities, or anything to cause a problem to the fuel system, and when i takea fuel sample, the fluid doesnt seem to be any more oily than the diesel. And burns almost as clean..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not saying this is for everybody, go out and do it.. Im just saying, this is what im running, this is my truck.. and so far so good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run a mixture of 50/50 diesel/wmo whenever I can get my hands on the oil. I think I found a pretty good supplier of clean used oil today. My truck is an 01 7.3l, and I see no more smoke tunning th used oil, it does run quieter then usual with it for sure. The mileage for me is the same as with diesel, it just cost a Shik load less to fill my truck doing this. If you calc out what your savings are using the wmo you could spend alot on repairs if you needed to in the future with all the money you will save. I just can't believe I used to recycle this stuff, instead of putting it in my tank. My plan is to start using it all the time in my truck, and I will start mixing it about 80% oil and 20% diesel once my supply gets more steady on the oil. There are alot of guys out there doing this, some running straight WMO, and some running 90/10. Calculate the savings yourself, it is like getting diesel for a dollar a gallon again with the free oil running at 80/20. My fuel bill runs a grand a month on straight diesel just for one truck. I have other vehicles I fill also, so this is alot like a free lunch to me. I will never go back to straight diesel again, makes no sense to me to run it in your engine at these prices!!!!! PS don't tell the locals innyour area, they will think you are crazy first, and then try and swoop in on your free oil once they see it works just fine. Diesel engines are very forgiving, and Rudolph Diesel did invent this engine so farmers could grow there own fuel to supply there engines on the farm, makes complete sense to me to never run pure EXPENSIVE diesel ever again.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts