Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does turning up the waste gate allowing more boost make any difference with performance, mpg, quarter times?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
6.0's don't have a waste gate. They are vgt's, not a conventional turbo. are you running a banks 6 gun WITH custom tunes????????

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes sir, i run the custom tunes with the power pda/

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
so you are or aren't using the 6 gun for power?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i turn the chip up while running the tune. Typically leave it on a lower level while in town, but turn it up when i feel the time has arised.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
you do know that that is not a suggested way to add power??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See, i have seen both pros and cons of that. I have been trying to run a mid 14 quarter but with just the six gun or SCT single i only hit a 15 but both a high 14.7 to be the lowest. What is the downside? If that bad what would be your advice?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
To my knowledge the 6 gun over rides the custom program. 14.7 isn't very good and sounds like a banks number. Are you doing a boosted launch in 4hi? My advice would be to get a race tune from a vendor of your choice(I prefer innovative diesel) and see what it can do for you. Also, with the 6 gun there is no ACTUAL transmission tuning done. The motor is putting out more power and the tranny is still in it's "stock state".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so just run my sct tune by itself, or should i just find a new chip? any other ways without going deep into my pocket for more power?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Try a race tune on it's own. Unplug your banks stuff and give it a whirl. If you don't wanna go deep into your pockets for more power you can throw on the banks stickers, if you haven't already done it. Guaranteed 25rwhp. :hehe: Custom tunes will produce the most power and best shifting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would stacking it work, like if i got another chip such as edge, etc.....

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just said that you don't want to stack. Worst possible thing you can do on a 6liter. get that idea out of your head.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry just so many friends have done it, it is stuck in there. Ok thanks for the tips will try out manana and let you know. Thanks

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Sounds good. let us know. A lot of people out there, even myself before I started visiting forums, ran edge, banks, diablo, and bully dog and have since "seen the light" so to speak and trusted everyone on the forums that raves about custom tunes and took their advice. Who's custom tunes are you using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
djs looney tune, but i want a pure custom not lonney tune just one made for my truck with my mods.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Well you're pretty much stage 1 so the looney you have is for your truck. Once you go turbo and injectors then you're into stage 2 or 3 and will need custom tunes for your truck and your mods. Request the looney race, pretty sure that DJ locks the tc in 2nd-5th.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well you're pretty much stage 1 so the looney you have is for your truck. Once you go turbo and injectors then you're into stage 2 or 3 and will need custom tunes for your truck and your mods. Request the looney race, pretty sure that DJ locks the tc in 2nd-5th.
tc? what one earth is that. ANd i am glad there are the forums stuff i like learning this stuff

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
torque converter. See, I think your 6 gun is definitely over riding your custom tunes because the tc is very noticeable in 4th and 5th, depending on what tune you're running. But if you're running looney I'm sure it is locked in 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i feel a litte extra "kick" at roughly 70-80/. BUt do i need to completely take out the banks or just put it back on stock? so i have gauges?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
just unplug the banks and hook up the oem pcm connections like they were before the banks. You won't have gauges. Some guys I think are able to use their pda and custom tunes but if it was me I would not do that I would not recommend that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts