Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over the weekend i talked to a guy that has a truck that is alot like mine. i was asking him what all he had done to it and he said he put a waste gate on his truck and said it was a must for my truck.
but i have no clue what that is:dunno:
well i didnt get a chance to ask him about it so i was wondering if yall had any info.
thanks!!!:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
1994 to 1997 are the same , 99 -03 7.3 are the same , like i said before , the 94 -97 never had a wastegate from the factory , on 99 up, you can put a heavier spring on the waste gate actuator to keep it from opening as soon, may want to ask him more details on what he is referring to

·
Registered
512 Posts
True, but what if he put on the ATS 1.0 turbo housing with the built in waste gate?

·
Registered
512 Posts
They sure are expensive turbo housings I can get a 1.0 housing for $150 and ATS wants somthing like $450, then BD diesel wants around $600, I don't feel it necessary.
The 1.0 housing will do fine and you get more HP per Dollar spent!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what exactly do they do?
i had never heard of one till then.
i did find out it was a 97 model

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
A waste gate is like a boost governor. It opens when a certain boost level is reached and keeps the turbo from boosting over that set limit. The ATS housing for the OBS trucks, is a direct replacement and has a built in waste gate. I'm not sure what good it would be to have one since the housing is so small. You can't over boost with stock injectors, and I'm not sure you would be able to keep egt's in check with larger injectors.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Looking at your current mods you got lots of better stuff to do before worrying about adding a waste gate, (which I wouldn’t do anyway).

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i was just wondering
but i think tour right b/c i got more stuff i want to do to it before i do something like that:nod:
what should be my next mod after i get my stacks hooked up

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
3 inch down pipe, then an intake, guages, and a tony wildman chip:thumb:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
guages
chip
fuel system
stg3 injectors
big turbo
new trans, or val air clutch

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i am going sometime this week when i get a chance and i am going to look at a muffler and a 3 in d. pipe at a local store but i dont know what kind of muffler to get. i want to get one that gives max performance and as loud as it can be. any ideas?
oh im going to try and get a mbrp d. pipe

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Yeah don't run a muffler just straight pipe it:thumb:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i would love to but couple of my friends did that with a cummins and within a couple days all 3 of them had been pulled over and got warnings b/c it was "too loud" the cop said so they put the stock muffler back on and they sounded purty $hitty

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Straight pipe on a PSD is a little different than a Cummins. If you are set on a muffler, try a 4" Flowmaster Outlaw Race Muffler and you won't be disappointed. It sounds a lot like straight pipe at lower RPM, but under load and accelerating, it has a smoother sound and is quieter than straights. It's loud enough the truck sounds mean, but won't get you a ticket.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well what i am wanting is one that is basicly a straight pipe but if i get pulled over i can say look under there but i dont really want to quiet it down if i dont have to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts