Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on bio fuel and using wast cooking oil and have come across a lot, well not a lot to most, of grease used in deep fryers. Im not sure were to go from there, guess i got my buggy in front of the horse, its only several hundred gallons but i can run a long time on that depending how much i was to mix reg fuel in with it??? any pointers on where to start? it has some yuck floating in it like some of the food breading that fell of in the process of cooking it....

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
lets say you didnt have the hundred of gallons, how much you you be able to collect on a weekly or monthly basis from the source? if its a steady stream your in great shape. you can make biodiesel or run a wvo system. biodiesel has a smaller outlay and a veggie system is more costly but will pay for itself.

if this is all the oil you can get then you can either rmix it with diesel (not reccomended) or make bio. around here, if you have the equipment already purchased you can make bio for about $1.25 a gallon. when its done and done right, you can pour it in and go. springs, summer, fall. in winter youll have to mix (which is ok after biodeisel conversion) or run straight D2.

dont go veggie system if you dont have a steady source. if you do then you have either or both of these choices at your disposal. tell us a bit more about how steady your supply is, how much you get, and what your driving situation is like, i.e. short trips, hour commute, long commutes or trips, etc. then we can more acurately answer the "where to start" question. and Welcome to the bio community!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply and welcome! well I will be getting about 200 gallons a year from the place and havnt even looked anywhere else yet.

I drive 10 t 15 min trips 4 times a day or so and occasional trips that are no longer than 100 miles.

I live in tn so weather isnt too bad most the time.

I would like to do the route of making a blend i beleive that would be more apropriate to my needs...

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
hehe, my dad filtered it straight and poured it in. Ran 2 tanks through his OBS

ran like a champ

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol might have to hear a little more info before we go pouring this stuff in my tank lol its little dirty as of now, been sitting for a while in a room thats about 85 degrees.

i like your boxer, me and my girl have 2

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
thanks for the quick reply and welcome! well I will be getting about 200 gallons a year from the place and havnt even looked anywhere else yet.

I drive 10 t 15 min trips 4 times a day or so and occasional trips that are no longer than 100 miles.

I live in tn so weather isnt too bad most the time.

I would like to do the route of making a blend i beleive that would be more apropriate to my needs...
Short trips like that making bio with it would be in your best interests. Running WVO without the engine being up to operating temp can and will cause injector and fuel pump damage

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so filter and add the fuel sounds simple lol im sure there is much more to it than that though

·
Too cool for school
9,886 Posts
ok so filter and add the fuel sounds simple lol im sure there is much more to it than that though
oh yea, alot more!

check with your local community colleges. My dad went and took a bunch of biodiesel classes at a college near us. You might luck up :thumb:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
yeah there is more.

but first, can you filter and pour it in and go? yes, but as Dave pointed out it can cause damage. there is a guy on Greasecar doing it, but i think hes a hotshot or something, which changes the rules a bit. i dont reccomend it, espicially for you and your driving needs.

im with Dave on the bio, you truck wont be warme dup enough intil your almost at your location for wvo, then you'll have to shut down having spent most your time on D2. as for a mix, ask Clay to shoot you a pic of his friends oil pan who mixed.

go here, read and watch all the vids. for learning purposes you can skip the titration vids. for now it might make it overwhelming, its far easier than it looks.
Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Production Supplies, Equipment, Processors, Kits, Tutorials, Information and More!

here is a great link for a test batch, i did one in the kitchen, it only took about 30 mins or less (30 mins of activity, not counting waiting). and its crazy easy.
Making Biodiesel Dr. Pepper Style - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

methanol for this - the yellow HEET gas line antifreeze at wally world
catalyst -near the drano in plumbing, read the back of the bottle for the NaOH or KOH. i chose the red Drain Out bottle
Cooking thermometer
2 liter bottle (dry) and cap.
measuring spoons and measuring cup

for my second test batch i drilled a hole in the cap for easy wash water and glycerin draining. i just covered it when i was shaking.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so mix is a no go and running straight wvo wont be good, whats the other option? I thought bio was wvo and d2 mixed together, guess i have some videos to watch lol thanks for the great starting point and resources! im going to check them out as soon as i have a minute!!!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
mix of wvo and D2 is nothing more than that, a mix. its safer than running wvo with no diesel startup and shutdown, but its still not a great idea. i used to do it and stopped when i saw Clay's pics.

bio is wvo or svo that has had the triglicerides chemically dropped out of it, basically drops the viscosity do its close to the viscosity of D2. that only works down to about 40*F or so, give or take, then it gells up. that has more to do with the type of oil and the quality of conversion.

as a note, when you try running bio, keep an extra fuel filte or two with you. its a gereat solvent and will clean out the D2 crud from your tank and lines, that all ends up in your filter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so i will end up running on my grease, wvo, alone after i learn how to filter it out like you said remove the triglicerides. I may not have enough to run straight bio so I could just mix half bio and half d2 correct?

Yeah i dont want to run anything thats going to cost me money in the long run on maintenance on my rig, she provides me with enough due to my right foot lol

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
thats correct. you can run it when you have it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts