Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I though I would pass the word on my recent bad experience with the new Napa Gold 7312 filter with an intergrated cap. I recently changed oil in my 2005 F-350 and decided use a Napa gold oil filter since the local store had a big sale on them and they looked better then the Motorcraft part.

The guy behind the counter had a big sales pitch on how they now have the cap as part of the filter so you don't change that out. Also there is like twice the filter surface area as OEM, bla, bla. Well I changed the oil and installed this new filter. When I turned on the new filter I noticed that I did not have to push down against the top of the housing as hard to seat the filter like I normally do, so I was already a little suspicious. Then the next day I started it and noticed it took about 5-6 seconds for the oil pressure to come up. I thought thats odd, I had already started it once to check for leaks so the filter housing should be full of oil.

That night when I left work I watched the pressure again when I started it up and it took a good 5-6 seconds, to me this just did not appear right. Then when I shut it down at home I listened by the front of the truck and I heard a blurp, blurp, blurp noise. After a few days of driving it like this my suspicion got the better of me and I put in a new Motorcraft OEM filter. Sure enough after I started it once to fill filter housing I did not hear the blurp, blurp, blurp noise when I shut it down. Now on a cold start after sitting all day the pressure comes up in less then 2 seconds with the Motorcraft filter, guess I am going to stick with OEM stuff for a while.

I took some photos of the 2 filters and it looks like the inside of the NAPA filter is about 1" longer than the Motorcraft one. Normally this would not be issue, but on the 6.0 the spring loaded plastic thing in the middle of the filter housing is used to drain the oil back into the crankcase when you remove the filter during a change. The extended length length of the NAPA filter does not allow the valve to close so the oil is constantly draining! I am guessing this is also happening when the engine is running, so when it gets really hot you could loose oil pressure.

Here are the OEM and the NAPA filters.

Motorcraft Filter.

NAPA 7312 Filter.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Thanks for the info, OEM only here. But this was useful stuff.

J

·
0 Posts
Threads

Look at the threads on the cap. They end up being the same height. Its normal for the pressure to take a second to come up.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
wow, that's different. I'm using Purolators, which are IDENTICAL to the OEM filters. I was using the Ford filter until purolator updated their old design to the new one, which I'm sure all they did was buy it from the same guys ford is. New purolator=racor=OEM but cheaper. But yes... Use a OEM filter (racor). Thanks for the wix update.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What about the Fram filter? thats what I use. Has anyone had a bad experience with these filters?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
i got some new filter last week, have not changed them out yet, but they do have the integrated top.......now that i looked at the site where i got them, i may have got the wrong one a 7313 for vans, oops, have to wait till i get back home.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
valvoline is buying their filters from someone, that someone is the answer and question.

The goal is to use the OEM filter, which is a Racor supposedly. FoMoco, Purolator, and I think the new Frams also are all Racors.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have been using the amsoil filter and I am real happy with it. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Has anyone had any trouble with the Amsoil filter? I'm looking at ordering 2 tonight, along with 8 gallons of synthetic oil and 4.5 gallons of synthetic tranny fluid with a new tranny filter.

Stop me now if you've got any reasons...

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
Has anyone had any trouble with the Amsoil filter? I'm looking at ordering 2 tonight, along with 8 gallons of synthetic oil and 4.5 gallons of synthetic tranny fluid with a new tranny filter.

Stop me now if you've got any reasons...
ill keep that comment to myself so this thread doesnt get destroyed

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Scuffy, PM me

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,306 Posts
Stick to Mercon SP in my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts