Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
** EDIT: sorry for errors in this essay **

Ok I searched very quickly but found nothing...

So me and a few buddies were driving after working on a deck this past sat. and I have a stock 04 powerstroke auto 2wd he has a stock 05 cummins 6 speed 4x4. Of course we decide to race and I destroy him I beleive because of his shifting skillz. Now we were just going up the road and I had it at WOT for maybe a 1/2 mile, I pull into chick-fl-a and let it cool down for a couple minutes and here is where the arguement starts...

I always let my truck warm up or I'm super easy on it for a little bit, as well as let her cool down for a few minutes before I turn her off.

The cummins guys turns her on drives right away shuts her off right away.

We discussed the turbo and engine, how can it get much hotter even after a little wot, as well as warming up and cooling it down before shutting off.

Does anyone have factual information to put it to a rest.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yes. Your turbo has engine oil running through it. If you have the turbo hot and then just shut the truck down, the oil stops flowing and just sits in the hot turbo and the oil breaks doen in the turbo bearings. NOT GOOD! So, yess you are doing right by letting the truck idle for just a minute or two before shutting down (best is an EGT gauge and shut down around 300*) And as far as warming up before going. That's just (IMHO) good sense in a diesel as they run best with heat... that is what makes them run. I know my 05 doesn't want to run worth a &*^%* when its cold. And it just puts a lot of unnecessary stress on the truck.
Just my .02
I'm sure someone may chime in with actually details as to why and how this works but this should help a lil

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, So other than the turbo needing cooled off too what about the engine itself?

When the oil breaks down in the turbo does it just loose its lubrication or what?

·
Registered
142 Posts
When i purchased my 09 6.4 they had a "flyer" on my steering wheel stating that you should allow for adequate warm up and cool down time . It even recommends in the manual anywhere from 1-3 min for normal driving and 3-5 min for towing/extreme driving

1 - 6 of 6 Posts