Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to turn my warm up valve into an exhuast brake but i only want an on- off switch and i dont want it to come on with the brake lights. the only instructions i can find are to have it come one with the brake lights also. i was wondering if anyone had thier own way of doing it.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
You can do the control circuit any way you want. The rest is all the same. I have a 5spd and decided to make mine work like a jake brake. I just made a control circuit that after flipping a master switch, it would come on when the throttle and clutch is not depressed. Press either pedal and it disengages. It works great. Another good idea is to wire it through a relay that will kill it when the parking brake is on.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
You can do the control circuit any way you want. The rest is all the same. I have a 5spd and decided to make mine work like a jake brake. I just made a control circuit that after flipping a master switch, it would come on when the throttle and clutch is not depressed. Press either pedal and it disengages. It works great. Another good idea is to wire it through a relay that will kill it when the parking brake is on.
How did you hook it with the throttle like that? Can it be done on an auto or wouldn't you recommend it?

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is a guy selling a kit that works with the throttle pedal. Father in law just installed it on his. I'll see if I can find a link to give you another option.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
It's all relays. You need a normally closed relay that opens when you press the throttle. Find the wire on the idle validation switch that has power when depressed. Tap into it and run a wire to one of the control tabs on the relay. Run a ground to the other control tab. Run the wire going to the EBPV actuator to one of the NC contacts, and another to switched positive 12V. Now when the pedal is not pressed the relay is closed and it sends power to the brake. When you press the pedal, it energizes the relay and opens the contacts going to the EBPV, and it opens back up. To lock up the TC, you have to ground one of the wires going to the tranny. I'm not sure witch one. I would just run a normally open relay with the control side feeding from the wire going to the EBPV, and the NO contacts will have a ground wire on one and the other will go to the wire you have to ground on the tranny. I know this sounds complicated, but its really pretty simple.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
It's all relays. You need a normally closed relay that opens when you press the throttle. Find the wire on the idle validation switch that has power when depressed. Tap into it and run a wire to one of the control tabs on the relay. Run a ground to the other control tab. Run the wire going to the EBPV actuator to one of the NC contacts, and another to switched positive 12V. Now when the pedal is not pressed the relay is closed and it sends power to the brake. When you press the pedal, it energizes the relay and opens the contacts going to the EBPV, and it opens back up. To lock up the TC, you have to ground one of the wires going to the tranny. I'm not sure witch one. I would just run a normally open relay with the control side feeding from the wire going to the EBPV, and the NO contacts will have a ground wire on one and the other will go to the wire you have to ground on the tranny. I know this sounds complicated, but its really pretty simple.
Thats what i had thought, but what about when you turn the cruise on?

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
I know how to wire this where it will come on when the throttle is off, but wont that make it come on when the cruise is on? If so, how do i fix that other than shutting it off when i want to use the cruise, cause that would defeat the purpose.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
anyone?:dunno:

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
I know how to wire this where it will come on when the throttle is off, but wont that make it come on when the cruise is on? If so, how do i fix that other than shutting it off when i want to use the cruise, cause that would defeat the purpose.
You are correct, it will activate when you have the cruise on. You really shouldn't need the brake if you are using cruise, though.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
is there a wire somewhere i can tap into that has power only when the cruise is on? if there is i have an idea.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
You can try the wire going to the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder. I'm not sure. I do know the switch's contacts have to be closed for the cruise to work.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
I was driving my truck and it hit me. I feel :tard::tard: for not thinkin of it before. Duh, the cruise light on the dash:doh:. You've got an excuse derrick, you drive an OBS, no cruise light on the dash. Mine however has one. Now the question is how to remove the dash panel.

·
Registered
553 Posts
all i want to know is on the two wires is one a 12 and the other a ground??

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
all i want to know is on the two wires is one a 12 and the other a ground??
2 wires? which 2, the ones that plug into the turbo pedestal?

·
Registered
553 Posts
ya. sorry about that. cause i want to just hook it up to were i control it. so either its on or its off.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Just run a switched +12V wire to the gray/red wire going to the EBPV.

·
Registered
553 Posts
alright thanks. thats all i was wanting to know. :thumb:thanks very much..
:woot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts