Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some more power but dont know what to do first. i know bout adding a bigger turbo and bigger injectors but what else should i do? i drive a 95 7.3 it has a ts 6 pos. chip, 6637 air intake on it. my trannsmision was rebuilt before i bought the truck and im not sure what the guy put into it. i jus need some tips here on what to do. so if anyone could help that be great!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have an exhaust system? If the exhaust is stock ditch that down pipe for sure and replace it with an aftermarket 3" down pipe. The rest of the exhaust system is up to you.

wreckmaster

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Exhaust. 3" down pipe and 5" exhaust.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You don't need anything bigger then a 4" unless its a 600hp+ truck.

You're transmission might have been rebuilt, but not built or you would have noticed it, you'll definately notice a power increase with a built transmission.

Also looked into a new compressor wheel, upgraded intake system and an intercooler.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wright now its 3 inch down pipe to 5 inch pipe to 7 inch single stack.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Sounds like time for stage 1's then :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive looked into them. im not looking for lots of power like the 450hp range is where id like to be. my neighbor works on diesels alot and he said look into air dog fuel system first. is that somthing worth doing?

·
Registered
568 Posts
It is if you have injectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright. now what should i do with the tranny? i dont wanna put money into thr motor and then blow the tranny. i know with manuels some people put dual clutch discs in but mines not manuel

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
ive looked into them. im not looking for lots of power like the 450hp range is where id like to be. my neighbor works on diesels alot and he said look into air dog fuel system first. is that somthing worth doing?
LOL ALL YOUR LOOKING FOR is ONLY 450hp???? Thats a LOT of power in an OBS... your gonna need a hell of a lot more than stage 1's! IF you plan to build up to 450hp, then you will need e-fuel... and there's plenty of diy e-fuel setups than an air dog setup.

It is if you have injectors.
not for stage 1's or 2's you dont.

alright. now what should i do with the tranny? i dont wanna put money into thr motor and then blow the tranny. i know with manuels some people put dual clutch discs in but mines not manuel
Depends on your power goals, and what you plan to do with the power. 400whp or less, just do a good TC/VB/cooler and then good tuning. For 350whp or less, you dont need any tranny mods if you take good care of it, or maybe a VB and thats it. for over 400whp, time for a fully built BTS or suncoast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
450 alot? i dont plan on goin straight to it im jus gonna work my way there. i have looked at stage 1s but stage 2s jus always caught my interest more.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
450 alot? i dont plan on goin straight to it im jus gonna work my way there. i have looked at stage 1s but stage 2s jus always caught my interest more.
Hell ya 450whp is a lot. Thats gonna take hybrids or stage 2's for sure, combined with a big turbo, intercooler, e-fuel etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i see maybe ill stay in the 350-400 range. no i stage 1s woulndt get me there i know that but id prolly start out with those and then move to stage 2s. i jus wanna work my way there.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Complete waste of time and money buying stage 1's then stage 2's. Just buy stage 2's and have them mildly defueled on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i see what ur saying. ill prolly get a turbo not long after injectors. what would would be a good one? with stage 2s some people say d66 , i had one guy the other day try to sell me a an h2e and he said it be good for stage 2

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
h2e is a great turbo. So is a d66. for 450whp I'd go w/ the h2e. before the injectors, though, I'd start working on that tranny.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh i know. i wouldnt do turbo or anything before tranny. my neighbor recomended head studs too. he thinks im gonna blow a head gasket the way i sit now.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
at 450whp I wouldn't worry about head studs.. not a big problem on these 7.3's at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay thats good. i prolly wont get to 450. that jus a number i threw out there. time for work. thanks for the help! i appreciate anything i can learn here!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
not a problem... ask away :ford:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts