Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some dumb questions I want to run a tuner to gain better fuel economy, not to much worried about gaining a whole lot of power the most I tow is about 7K pounds. My truck is out of warranty 101,000 miles and as of yet all has been good no major problems just a couple of injectors. I have read that the SCT is the best tuner for the 6.0 but I also hear running a tuner is more likely to blow a head gasket is this true? If I run a low tune will it still cause this problem? Also how do these hook up to the truck do I plug it into my trucks computer and what gauges will I need?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,668 Posts
There are a lot of links on these subjects in the "mods" spreadsheet I sent you. Bottom line - some folks have blown head gaskets even without mods. If you are adding a tuner - I would greatly advise you to put head studs in AND to get gauges. If you stretch the head bolts and blow the gaskets, you may warp the heads also. They can warp to the extent that they are not repairable. In fact, get gauges with or without a tuner (IMHO).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts