Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, thanks for the add.
I'm looking to convert my 2WD '01 CCSB 7.3 to a 4WD. Looking to go moderate... 4" lift to maybe 6" max, (the wife doesn't like to climb). So any parts lists, suggestions from fellas who've done this, and recommended brands, etc. would be most appreciated.

Other info: Probably wanting to go with about a 20" wheel with maybe a 33" to 35" max height tires.

Kinda on a budget...

Also, has anyone switched from AOD to 6 sp manual? How did you do it?

Also, any pics of your conversions, descriptions, what parts you suggest appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
Not saying that it cant be done, but you prolly should look for a different truck instead
You could find another truck for donor parts and use both trucks to build the one you want
but I think the budget may easily get lost -- only way would be todo all the work your self

·
Registered
2000 Excursion, 2000 F350, 2016 F350
35 Posts
I did the front end swap on an excursion a while back. there was a place in SOCAL that dismantled cars and sells the complete front ends for all different years. Every nut and bolt and component youd need, plus the trans and transfercase for like $3.5k maybe, 100k miles, 3.73 gears. The mechanical swap was pretty straightforward, everything bolts right up after you remove the 2wd coil buckets. But I stopped at the transmission and transfercase because so far I was a whole lot of work and I lived in the city, barely had access to a dirt road.
Long story short I sold the 2wd Ex and just bought a 4x4 Ex. Was sooooo much easier. But hey if you want a nice project it can be done, just dont expect it to be easy or cheap.
As for lift my trucks have the 4.5" lift on them, all springs, get all my parts from a place outta Arizona, they make great stuff. Not sure if im allowed to advertise them here though? 4.5" gives you plenty of room for a 35" tire. but at 4.5" you should do pitman arm, track bar, brake lines as well to stay safe. dont cheap out on the parts that hold your truck together.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
donor truck is the only way it's going to be feasible (cheapest and easiest for you will be to keep the leafs), but it adds up quick when you're going through the axles before you put them back in. im mean honestly, do you want to go through all that work to put unknown used parts back on the truck? i didnt, and i'd say the entire swap was near $5k, and that was using manual 4wd (my choice), didnt even want to get near that electronic crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts