Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of a second opinion. Or many second opinions. I have a 2013 F-250 with a 6 inch lift on 37s. I have about a 3 inch dead spot in the wheel. Not exactly sure if it’s my steering gear box going out or if I have too much play in my pitman arm. Took it to 3 different shops but all said they were too busy to look at it and to make an appointment which are all about a month out. I jacked the front end up today and had the girlfriend shake the steering wheel and noticed the base of the pitman arm wobbled around the spline of the gear box as it moved. Should there be any play at all there? I understand that sometimes those pitman arm nuts get loose and are also a one time use nut. Below is a video of what I saw under there today. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
Replace the arm and nut, hopefully the shaft is not damaged from the wear
I would use blue locktite on the splines

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking at the same kind of issue, but I haven't lift my truck to see if this is the problem/fix.

I've got a 2006 F350 King Ranch that is about 8" lifted.
When driving, it seems that there is that same "soft spot" of about 2-4" of wheel slop.

Thanks for this thread - I'm going to check mine for this

I'm lowering it to about 3-4" lift, so I'll have to replace the Pitman arm anyway, I'm guessing ...
(Thread on my lowering questions, if you're curious...)

·
Premium Member
3,736 Posts
When checking for slop in the pitman and tie rods, it is best to leave the truck on the ground so there is resistance in turning the wheels
have a helper work the steering wheel back and forth a little
ball joints are the only thing you need to lift the truck to check for slack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I'll do that and see what I see and post back here.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed the issue. Replaced the pitman arm, drag link, steering dampener, both steering stabilizers, and the pitman arm nut. Went with the beefier and more expensive reusable nut from oneupoffroad. Truck drives better than I’ve ever remembered

1 - 8 of 8 Posts