Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worked on the truck all day yesterday to get it ready to pull. Finished stack, made some clamps and clamped the rear springs, got a hitch, and a few other odds and ends.

I ran the modified class which consists of basically 600+ hp trucks which 98% of are manuals. I pulled 283 feet, beat a few dodges, the other powerstroke and I don't think there were any Dmax's in the modified class (a lot in the stock, but not modified). There were less then 20 in my class... didn't finish in the top 3... don't really know where I finished but I was happy. This was my first pull ever! :)

Next time, now that I know they're going to bump me into a modified class (my turbo is 2.4 and the limit in the stock class is 2.5) I'll be bringing a lil more fuel to the table :evillol:

Anyway... here is the pull.... Started in 1st which just pulled right through the brakes (never spooled in 4x4 low b4) and when I shifted to 2nd it was a lil bouncy. Let out of it, corrected, and then hammered down again. Smacked the limiter and started pulling good and the brakes came on!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
so when u say 2nd are u meanin low as ur first gear???

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4x4 low range, start in 1st and bump up to 2nd and hammer down.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
ok start in low i call first then hit second ?

·
Registered
804 Posts
nice work!
too bad i couldent make it out there!
i would of loved to come out

·
Registered
165 Posts
your first pull when alot better than mine. i made it last night and only went 199 feet. i spooled it to about 15 pounds in 2nd and let it go and statred bouncing, let out and pulled fine till about 175 and started bouncing again, let out and pulled it till 199 and let up. i was all over the place, nervous as hell, and i didnt want to break anyting. i figured out i need traction bars. your pull looks great.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
no 00strker hes sayin he put the transfer case in 4low, started in first gear, then shifted to second gear, and put it pedal down.

btw niiice pull! im still curious what my obs could do...

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BOCK - I think the clamped springs helped A LOT. I'm going to make a second set and clamp ahead of the rear axle as well and make up some traction bars before the next one.

00strkr I have an automatic... don't want to give you bad advice for a manual.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
ooh my bad thought you had a granny shifter lol

·
Registered
959 Posts
Are you shifting it manually or letting the auto do it's thing? You want to let it shift on it's own. Don't try to manually shift it 'cause it'll botch it all up. Also don't try to spool it at the start. You don't need to. It's not a drag race where you're trying to get a jump. That's a good way to break things. Roll into nice and easy so you don't jump and start to dig in right away. You want the tires to grip and pull not spin from the start. That way you get the thing moving and get some momentum built up. Nice job for your first pull though.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Nice Marty! Can't wait until I can find somewhere down here in Houston to hook up to a sled.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
How do you clamp the springs? It helps the truck not to bounce correct? i'm thinking about hooking to the sled this year.

Didn't mean to hi jack the thread, but we are talking about sled pulling

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I clamped the springs to help avoid axle hop. It worked pretty good.

GTS - Started in 1st... and was just going to get her reved up a hair because I've always been told the mod class is hard to get off the line. Well it just pulled right through and I was like F it.

Next time I should have a sled file and more power with a few more traction devices to get me up there w/ the bigger trucks.

Oh well..... I hope to be one of the VERY few 7.3's able to pull w/ the dodges up there.

·
Registered
190 Posts
:thumb:
Worked on the truck all day yesterday to get it ready to pull. Finished stack, made some clamps and clamped the rear springs, got a hitch, and a few other odds and ends.

I ran the modified class which consists of basically 600+ hp trucks which 98% of are manuals. I pulled 283 feet, beat a few dodges, the other powerstroke and I don't think there were any Dmax's in the modified class (a lot in the stock, but not modified). There were less then 20 in my class... didn't finish in the top 3... don't really know where I finished but I was happy. This was my first pull ever! :)

Next time, now that I know they're going to bump me into a modified class (my turbo is 2.4 and the limit in the stock class is 2.5) I'll be bringing a lil more fuel to the table :evillol:

Anyway... here is the pull.... Started in 1st which just pulled right through the brakes (never spooled in 4x4 low b4) and when I shifted to 2nd it was a lil bouncy. Let out of it, corrected, and then hammered down again. Smacked the limiter and started pulling good and the brakes came on!

Dude you did awesome! I have been following your buildup, fantastic job! I do alot of work in MD all over the beltway. Where was the pull at? I'm ready to hook up and have some fun:thumb: Might wind up getting new gaskets and studs:hehe: Know of the next pull around here?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You've got a 6.0... you have a good chance in the stock class up there.

If you work down by the beltway 695 or worse, 495... you would be able to go to pulls a lot closer... chestertown, and other eastern shore places have them all the time. Give me your # and I'll hit you up.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
but if you live in fairfield you could go to Delta... there's a pull up there soon... I'll let ya know.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
ooh my bad thought you had a granny shifter lol
Hey watch the granny comments there scooter! :hehe:

Congrats Marty on your first pull!

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
good pull marty , i will agree that trying to spool before take off neverf worked for me , just caused more spin to soon try different things to se what works best for ya , every truck is different

1 - 20 of 48 Posts