Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Just got the gf a 99 F350 crew cab long bed with 154,000 miles. When we got the truck i made the dealer fix everything wrong with it part of the deal, so i didnt have too:), but that included torque converter, vacuum lines, brake lines, and hub bearing. Well before everything was even replaced i knew the truck was getting some vibrations, it sounded like going over rumble strips at a stop sign when you hit bumps at random speeds. Well i figured it was from the hub bearing cause it had about a inch of play. well now everything is replaced its still doing it, i checked all the joints and bearings everything is tight.. another thing i noticed idk if related but when u go over a bump it sounds like Pogo stick on the driver side real squeeky. what would cause that? i know the sway bar bushing on the mounts could be replace but they dont even clunk real bad like my truck did and mine never squeeked. thanks everyone all the help could use.

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
Whenever somebody says "rumble strips" I think of the needle brgs in the front hubs (if you've had the hub changed it came with new needles but, they are separately replaceable in the other side). The easy test for bad needles is to simply engage the ft hubs so the axles spin (you don't need to be in 4WD). If the noise goes away, it's because those brgs aren't spinning when locked...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not really a noise it's actual vibrations

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not yet ill try fri after work with locking that hub i know its on the driver side where the bearing was replaced so ill just lock the one hub, is alright to drive around with it locked? cuz i would need to drive down the road for it to do it because it does it randomly, i know i still need to pull the hub lock out apart anyways and oil it up cuz its so hard to to turn ive already did the other side.

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
Sure but, lock them both anyway for a good test. Since you're not in 4WD, and the transfercase hasn't got the ft diff connected to the rear, you can drive all you want. In fact, I lock mine IN all Winter long...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did what you said and it did not work, i drove the truck all weekend and it actually sounded like vibrations to me not rumble strips not sure how to decribe but a stab at it sounds like going fast and cv hitting something but its not. feels like its from the driver side but when i pulled over i checked everything out and i notice when i tryed moving the axles the driver side wouldnt move btw were the hub bearing was replaced, but the pass side would move some up and down, but last i checked i had no play in that hub bearing like 20 miles ago? i feel i gotta rip everything apart in the front end and find wear tear somewere, any ideas anyone be nice for her to drive her own truck and not mine lol:please:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright heres a update, When i tore the truck apart found out that needle bearing was bad and the needles felled out. So i replaced the whole wheel bearing and that fixed the problem for over a month i guess, then started it again, so i seened one of my auto locking hubs had failed and was locking the axle in so i took them out and taped the ends off to keep water and dirt out. didnt make that shuddering noise anymore, so i put new warn locking hubs in and two days later it did it again but not as bad when i went over a bump. So i looked at my axles and notice the passenger side axle had alot of up and down play the same side i just replaced the axle in and kinda think it had that play ever since i put the new one it, how do u get rid of that play? i dont think the axle got damage it didnt look grooved down from the needle bearing. I think the seal behind the hub bearing is in pretty bad shape but i thought the whole hub bearing is what kept the tightness in the axle. can some please help me im tired of trying to research and not finding what i want.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was having a similar issue and thought it was my U-joints clicking and making things vibrate wen in 4wd till i pulled everything off to fix it and found the drive shaft had a nice grove in it from where the roller bearing was since the last person that put it back together didnt pack it with grease. Id also hit bumps in the road wen in 2wd with hubs unlocked and it would vibrate and rumble like a mother till i hit another bump.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was having a similar issue and thought it was my U-joints clicking and making things vibrate wen in 4wd till i pulled everything off to fix it and found the drive shaft had a nice grove in it from where the roller bearing was since the last person that put it back together didnt pack it with grease. Id also hit bumps in the road wen in 2wd with hubs unlocked and it would vibrate and rumble like a mother till i hit another bump.
Did you replace the whole driveshaft or just the small yoke part? if so were did you get it from?

·
Registered
609 Posts
No I havnt replaced it yet cause i didnt have 250 to drop for the drive shaft being a poor college kid lol. I packed it full of high temp and reasembled and it got rid of the hitting bumps problem but when i put in 4wd it still clicks and vibrates at higher speeds. just a temporary fix till I can get the shaft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts