Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently done work to my truck getting it ready for riding season. I have done front and rear brakes and rotors and calipers all brand new, brand new Turbo, ball joints, and an array of smaller more minor things. After doing this work to the truck I now have a mysterious vibration/rattle that happens every once in a while and it is driving me crazy. I suspect it is either the front cab mount bolts somehow or possibly my bed is loose and vibrating somewhere. Is there anywhere on these trucks that is a common place for vibrations to start at high mileage? My truck is a '06 with 235k on the body. The noise is not present when sitting idling and only shows up about every other time you take off from a stop. As soon as I go into the throttle it makes the noise then it either completely goes away immediately or it gets quieter for about 2-5 seconds then goes away. Am I just chasing something that doesn't matter or is there something this could be that should be fixed?

·
Super Moderator
12,752 Posts
All of these are pretty tough questions to try and answer over the internet.

See if you can get a video or something so we can hear the rattle and see if you can determine at least a general area.... otherwise it's going to be like throwing chit on the wall and hoping something sticks :dunno:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of these are pretty tough questions to try and answer over the internet.

See if you can get a video or something so we can hear the rattle and see if you can determine at least a general area.... otherwise it's going to be like throwing chit on the wall and hoping something sticks :dunno:
Yeah I know. Going off a sound in general is damn near impossible to troubleshoot. I would try to get a video but the sound is so soft compared to my 5" Straight pipe theres no way you will hear it on a video. Its more of a vibration feeling most of the time. I might go over all my exhaust connections and intake connections again just to make sure I don't have a leak anywhere. I dont think that is where my issue is though because I am build boost better than ever and my EBP readings are normal. I may try to rock the truck with the engine off to see if I can get the noise to happen and see if its a body/suspension component possibly.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Yeah that type of noise will be hard to find. Worn cab mounts can let the cab contact the bed, or the up pipes

Get a round shorty muffler, wrap in unfaced fiberglass and stuff that in the 5 inch -- secure with a wire -- temp silencer so you can find the noise easier

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noise found... My downpipe was vibrating on the first crossmember right behind the engine. I got underneath and was looking up into the engine bay from underneath and it turned out the issue was literally right in front of my face. I took some beefy zipties and pulled it away from the cross member to make sure that was my issue and low and behold the noise completely disappeared...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts