Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still throwing a low turbo boost code on my 06 F250. On the insight the normal readings so far have been in the 46- 52 area but sometimes it will lock in at 15% or 85%. This happened today at the 85% when I was climbing a grade with 3000lbs in the bed with the cruise set at 68MPH when that happened the boost went to 1 or 2 psi. I felt no loss of power or speed. It didn't throw a code then either , but had threw one earlier and I felt nothing wrong.:dunno: TIA

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Stock 6.0 the max boost is around 28lbs with ARP studs around 33lbs pulling a 14k 5er i try and keep it 25lbs and under. Do you run cetane boost in your fuel to keep the egr valve and tubo clean, how are your boots need to be in good shape just got my new set from Dieselsite, dang i need to get them on:doh:.
2 stroker

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Still throwing a low turbo boost code on my 06 F250. On the insight the normal readings so far have been in the 46- 52 area but sometimes it will lock in at 15% or 85%. This happened today at the 85% when I was climbing a grade with 3000lbs in the bed with the cruise set at 68MPH when that happened the boost went to 1 or 2 psi. I felt no loss of power or speed. It didn't throw a code then either , but had threw one earlier and I felt nothing wrong.:dunno: TIA
Ok ressurecting this from the dead. After recently installing my edge insight I too have had the P0299 turbo under boost code show up from time to time. After monitoring the VGT's I noticed the same thing happening today- boost drops to 1-2lbs and VGT's climb to 85% and holds. All the info I've found seems to point to cleaning the turbo but before I go pulling it I was wondering if anyone else has had.this happen and if so what was the fix. Any info is greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
If the vgt is reading 15 or 85% for any period of time that means that your truck is not happy with the amount of exhaust back-pressure. This can be caused by either a stuck turbo, an exhaust leak before the turbo, or a plugged or faulty ebp sensor. The first thing I would do is remove the ebp sensor and make sure it's clean and that the tube is not restricted. If this is okay then I would remove and inspect/clean the turbo.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I agree. 85% isn't in the normal operating range of the VGT. when it goes that far it's trying to achieve a desired boost or backpressure and it can't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts