Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cleaned up the housing with the ultrasonic sink and things are not as bad as it first looked. I am at the point of looking at the actuator pin shaft and wondering if this part is normally serviceable. I have not seen any rebuild videos that do any more than pull the dust cover off the piston side and the pin shaft.

Any guides on taking this out if it is serviceable?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
11,033 Posts
These attachments may help.

Summary of VGT solenoid testing from the second attachment:

Technician Feeling Cam Follower Movement
To check VGT operation, first perform a KOEO. Also look at the MAP, BARO, and EP readings. If these appear unusual, address these before checking VGT operation. Then raise engine speed to 3,500 rpm and hold it at that point while monitoring exhaust pressure (EP) and manifold gauge pressure (MGP).
• Exhaust pressure should be between 20 and 28 psi and manifold gauge pressure should be between 2 and 6 psi.
• If MGP and EP are both high:
– Disconnect the VGT control valve electrical connector and rerun the test.
– If MGP and EP change with the electrical connector disconnected, inspect the wiring harness andconnections.
– If MGP and EP do not change (lower) when the VGTCV is unplugged, remove the valve from the turbocharger.
• Plug the VGTCV into the engine harness, being careful to handle the valve by its solenoid body only.
• Then apply pressure to the cam follower with your thumb while actuating the valve with the WDS and look for
movement.
– If the valve does not move, replace the valve.

VGTCV Electrical Test
The VGTCV can be tested electrically, using a digital volt-ohm meter (DVOM) to measure the resistance of the actuator coil.
• The resistance should be between 3.4 and 4.2 ohms @ 73°F EOT.
• If the engine is hot, the resistance should be between 4.4 and 5.3 ohms @ 200°F EOT.
CAUTION: Do not raise the engine rpm above 1,200 while controlling the VGT. Doing so can cause damage to the turbocharger or engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got it. There is a small roll pin holding the pinion gear to the actuator pin shaft. I'll take a pic when I get the thing out.

edit: I'm not sure there is much point in taking the pin shaft out. I'm not sure there is a serviceable seal on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is the unison pin disassembled. The unison pin faces away from the teeth on the gear. The gear and rack are one for one on the tooth count so it is pretty easy to see if you are mis-timed on the teeth.

The coiled pin is reusable and 3mm in diameter. The mini punch shown drives it out easily.

I can't take credit for the part numbers. This came from the linked Duramax forum post and is a great resource for rebuilding the turbo. The biggest difference between the Ford and Chevy application looks like a VGT position sensor and the oil system.

VGT viton piston seals part # McMaster-Carr 1170N23

coiled spring replacement part # McMaster-Carr 91612A230

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.