Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my truck back from the dealer. Come to find out the tech took my truck home one night to test it out. WTF!!!! My paperwork shows that they put 7 miles on the truck but in fact put almost 60 miles on it. Has anyone ever heard of something so outrageous happening? This is radiculous!!!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Did you question the Service Manager about this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I got a sorry I guess we should have notified you. But, he lives really close by. The I show him the 60 miles differece and he makes the comment that they could reimburse me for the fuel and the tech was just trying to go above and beyond. I am calling BS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I didnt think something like that could and/or would happen.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I would want my mileage adjusted for warranty, as well as reimbursement of fuel. Then I would say well this is the last time you see this truck. I would also contact Ford about it.

What if the idiot was in an accident. Who's insurance will cover the repairs. Yours shouldn't have too, the dealership should. But you know they won't with out a fight. Also what is the dealership policy of taking home customer vehicles. I would be in the office of the Dealership Manager about this. He may not know what is going on with his service department. That is alot of risks taken with your vehicle. Basically it is grand theft auto. You may have gave them permission to test drive your truck. But I know you did not give permission to drive the truck home or use it for personal use.

Also what would have happened if the truck got stolen in front of the guys house. You think the dealership is going to just replace your truck.

I am sorry man but I am really torqued about this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, like an idiot I forgot my gun in the console and called my advisor about it. He says no worries its perfectly safe here.

I am friggin HOT abou this!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Yeah, like an idiot I forgot my gun in the console and called my advisor about it. He says no worries its perfectly safe here.

I am friggin HOT abou this!
I would have went back and got the firearm. I am sorry but that mistake is on you.

Your gun could have very well been used in a crime. With out your knowledge. Then the crime could very well be put on you.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The tech was taking your truck home??? That is BS! I would have to agree with bigcountry and pitch a fit... Reimburse you for fuel and whatnot!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that will certainly never happen again. I use a Lincoln dealer that is about 15 miles away just b/c of a service writer there and I have bought a few cars from them, not this truck though.

I also left out that it went in with the avg MPG's at around 16 and came back at 5.5. That means someone was ragging the hell out of my truck.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
5.5?????? There is something wrong with that picture... My 08 company truck doesn't get less than 10 with me running the PISS out of it...

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
wow that would piss me off. When i take my truck to the shop sometimes, i wont ever take it to ford. the mechanic will call me and ask if he can take it home for a road test, and i always say yeah, because i know at his house it def. sits in his garage. plus its a 4 mile drive, and he ASKs!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
wow that would piss me off. When i take my truck to the shop sometimes, i wont ever take it to ford. the mechanic will call me and ask if he can take it home for a road test, and i always say yeah, because i know at his house it def. sits in his garage. plus its a 4 mile drive, and he ASKs!
The difference is you give PERMISSION!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Remember though sometimes the techs need to put miles on the truck to make sure the repairs are done correctly. Sometimes the techs don't do the test drive but the porters do. I will say the majority of porters are idiots. My moms truck was having a fuel gauge issue and the truck went back and forth to Ford twice because the repairs done to it didn't fix it and the techs didn't know what to do. Well I had asked if the shop forman would drive the truck home and see if he encounters any problems and he did and the truck got fixed correctly. I guess what I'm trying to say if you dont' want the truck to break after getting repaired then have them put some extra test miles on it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
They can drive mine with me in it if I need to show them a problem. If they go around the block or something I guess that's acceptable. Take it home without permission, well they handled it wrong. That should not happen. Was it even a problem that they would need to drive it that much?

5.5 mpg is believable. Maybe it was idling for a while. was the problem related to something where it would need to be idling or something?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I have taken customers cars home before over night for drive ability issues cold starts in the morning, needs to run for a while to act up, only does it at highway speeds when your cruising for a long period of time..etc... I had a chevy truck I was working on you had to drive the thing for about 40 mins before it would act up ... so I took it home and drove it after dinner with scanner on my lap and fuel pressure gauge under the wiper so I could monitor fuel pressure.. I bet I put 40 miles on that truck before it would act up and stop running... turns out the fuel pump was bad and I thought it would be the problem but I let it idle out side the bay for 1 hour and it didn't act up.. I had to run the truck and make the fuel pump work..

Bottom line if you dont want them to drive it they may not be able to find the issue if its a drive ability issue or fuel mileage issue.. I agree they should have informed you the tech was taking it home... that's our policy at our shop.. we call and let the customer know

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Remember though sometimes the techs need to put miles on the truck to make sure the repairs are done correctly. Sometimes the techs don't do the test drive but the porters do. I will say the majority of porters are idiots. My moms truck was having a fuel gauge issue and the truck went back and forth to Ford twice because the repairs done to it didn't fix it and the techs didn't know what to do. Well I had asked if the shop forman would drive the truck home and see if he encounters any problems and he did and the truck got fixed correctly. I guess what I'm trying to say if you dont' want the truck to break after getting repaired then have them put some extra test miles on it.
Again the difference is you asked and gave PERMISSION.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I have taken customers cars home before over night for drive ability issues cold starts in the morning, needs to run for a while to act up, only does it at highway speeds when your cruising for a long period of time..etc... I had a chevy truck I was working on you had to drive the thing for about 40 mins before it would act up ... so I took it home and drove it after dinner with scanner on my lap and fuel pressure gauge under the wiper so I could monitor fuel pressure.. I bet I put 40 miles on that truck before it would act up and stop running... turns out the fuel pump was bad and I thought it would be the problem but I let it idle out side the bay for 1 hour and it didn't act up.. I had to run the truck and make the fuel pump work..

Bottom line if you dont want them to drive it they may not be able to find the issue if its a drive ability issue or fuel mileage issue.. I agree they should have informed you the tech was taking it home... that's our policy at our shop.. we call and let the customer know
What if the owner says no.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
The way I see it is like this, if the truck needs to be driven until the problem occurs. Then the tech working on the vehicle should be test driving my vehicle while he is on the clock at the shop. If the problem does not occur on the first day. The vehicle is left at the shop tech goes home. He comes back the next day and drives it again until the problem occurs.

Now if someone is having a driveability problem it should show up with in the first day of test driving. If the problem does not show up with in two days of driving then the problem is to sparatic to diagnose in a timely manner. Vehicle should be returned to the owner.

When I was in the marines as a mech. I had to test drive a truck for a week straight before the problem occured. Now what sucked is when the problem did occur I was out in bfe on Camp Pendleton with no communications. Good thing I took my cell phone with me.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
guess it dont get fixed?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts