Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just starting the install of a Vegistroke WVO system on my early '99. This will certainly be the most involved mechanical experience I will have performed (if I can actually do it!), and I'm hoping to get some posts of any relevant pictures that might aid me in locating where everything goes in the install. The instructions aren't quite as detailed as I wish they were, and any help/advice/pictures would be helpful. Also, if anybody is in the Jackson, Wyoming area and is available to help I would certainly take it and pay you for your time!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Bio, I just started mine today as well. Didn't get the whole thing installed, but I did get a little bit done.

I'm about to write up a thread showing my progress. I plan to update it as I go, so maybe it'll be a little help to you. I've got an 05, so I'm sure they'll be some differences.

Also, I'm missing a few fittings from DFA at the moment, so I took the opportunity to do what I could until I get the other fittings in. In other words, I didn't follow the order of install that the instructions outline.

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you let me know when you get some pics up? I'm still working on the rear passenger fuel fitting-I dropped it and can't find it!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can you let me know when you get some pics up? I'm still working on the rear passenger fuel fitting-I dropped it and can't find it!
Bio, I've got some pics up now, but unfortunately I haven't started on the engine fittings. I'm missing some of the fittings needed to run the fuel supply to the motor, therefore I'm waiting till DFA can send me what I need before I start on that portion. Right now i'm working on other parts of the system such as the tank, module and some of the hoses.

Good luck!

·
Registered
634 Posts
hey guys i am not a guru, but i installed my system 2 weeks ago and was successful. pm me and i'll shoot you my phone number

Dave, thanks. I'll keep that in mind and if I hit a snag, I'll hit you up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave-thanks for the info over the phone-it was a pleasure talking to you!

Marv-where can I find those pics? They will certainly help as I've almost got the engine wrapped up and will be moving to the tank install and running the lines next. If you have any questions I can answer on the engine stuff let me know!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Dave-thanks for the info over the phone-it was a pleasure talking to you!

Marv-where can I find those pics? They will certainly help as I've almost got the engine wrapped up and will be moving to the tank install and running the lines next. If you have any questions I can answer on the engine stuff let me know!
Bio, my install thread can be found here:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/53821-my-vegistroke-install.html

Let me know if you have any questions - I'd be glad to help! And I'll definitely keep you in mind when I move on to the engine mods.

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I've left DFA an e-mail yesterday and called this morning and still haven't heard from them. I'm hoping somebody can answer a few questions for me:
1. For the drivers rear fuel port that was previously plugged, should there be an elbow that comes off of the new fuel rail fitting? I have two elbows with my kit, a brass one and a silver one. The silver one went on the passenger front already. If I'm supposed to have two silver elbows it looks like I was shorted one.

2. Should all of these fuel fittings have loc-tite on them or is it not necessary? The DFA directions did not mention anything about it, so I haven't done it so far.

3. I'm hoping to get some pictures of where the "t" fittings tap into the coolant lines-and also label if it's the sending line to the V3 unit or it's the return that bypasses the V3

4. I got the 51 gallon tank, and I'm assuming that all of the fittings go to the driver's side? They're not labeled at all, but I know the different size hoses should make it obvious. Does it matter which port the incoming and outgoing coolant go to? I can post pictures of the tank fittings if needed.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get this all wrapped up!

·
Registered
83 Posts
wow I hope all the posts about missing V3 kit pieces was just a fluke...I have yet to recieve my kit and hate the idea of not getting everything

Looking forward to more install pics :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
So, I've left DFA an e-mail yesterday and called this morning and still haven't heard from them. I'm hoping somebody can answer a few questions for me:
1. For the drivers rear fuel port that was previously plugged, should there be an elbow that comes off of the new fuel rail fitting? I have two elbows with my kit, a brass one and a silver one. The silver one went on the passenger front already. If I'm supposed to have two silver elbows it looks like I was shorted one.

2. Should all of these fuel fittings have loc-tite on them or is it not necessary? The DFA directions did not mention anything about it, so I haven't done it so far.

3. I'm hoping to get some pictures of where the "t" fittings tap into the coolant lines-and also label if it's the sending line to the V3 unit or it's the return that bypasses the V3

4. I got the 51 gallon tank, and I'm assuming that all of the fittings go to the driver's side? They're not labeled at all, but I know the different size hoses should make it obvious. Does it matter which port the incoming and outgoing coolant go to? I can post pictures of the tank fittings if needed.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get this all wrapped up!

Bio, I'll see if I can help (even if it's only a little)...

1. Not sure on the elbows since your's is a 7.3 and mine is a 6.0.

2. From my understanding, the only fittings that need Loctite are the ones that screw directly into the engine itself. For example, on the 6.0, I'll be placing Loctite on the new banjo bolts (front) and on the new rear fittings (WVO feed lines). Per Clay, all the JIC fittings are self sealing and do not need Loctite. For coolant related fittings, you could either use teflon tape, or plumbers putty.

Per Clay, make sure that you do not use teflon tape on any fittings that are between the Donaldson filter and the engine - the tape can flake off and there is no filter to catch it and prevent it from getting into an injector.

3. Not sure on this - again we've got different engines. Admittedly, I'm still a bit confused on mine too. Clay is supposed to provide me a pic or two this evening to show where his are connected. I'll be sure to post it up.

4. Not too familar with the 51 gallon tank, but for your fuel fittings, the supply (that runs from the tank to the module) there should be a pickup tube already placed in one of the fittings. The other obviously would be the return from the module back to the tank. For the coolant, I don't believe it matters which is which on the tank. I just picked one and went with it. You'll probably just have a vent fitting as well that you'll want to place a line on. I just ran mine down under the bed and zip-tied it out of the way.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
634 Posts
wow I hope all the posts about missing V3 kit pieces was just a fluke...I have yet to recieve my kit and hate the idea of not getting everything

Looking forward to more install pics :)
I wouldn't let this shy me away or worry me too much. I can imagine Jason and James are busier than they've ever dreamed. For a small operation turning out kits as fast as they are, mistakes are bound to happen.

I'm sure they'll take care of you if something does arise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
i agree.. but I am taking a weekend off to do the install. Saturday-install, Sunday many test miles... I really need to get it done 1st shot.

·
Registered
634 Posts
i agree.. but I am taking a weekend off to do the install. Saturday-install, Sunday many test miles... I really need to get it done 1st shot.

Oh I totally understand that too...I'm the same way. I was hoping to get mine installed in one weekend, but it didn't work out.

That's why I took the piece at a time approach so I could still drive the truck.

I don't think my boss would buy the excuse of having my truck tore up cause I want to run vegi oil! :rofl:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts