Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When filtering your oil, what micron size do you all go down to?

As I understand it, the donaldson filter is really good on the vegiestroke system, so how many microns should I filter down to before putting it in my tank?

anybody know why it is vegiestroke and not veggiestroke? people have been asking if it is spelled wrong on the sticker on my truck

·
Registered
891 Posts
Like everything else you are going to get numerous opinions but 1-5 microns seems to be the range that I am hearing. I am sure that Clay will chime in but I believe he filters to 5 microns with very good results. Some with centrifuges claim they filter down to 1 micron but that all depends on how many passes through the unit. Check their website but I think the actual spelling is Vegistroke. Not sure of any story behind the spelling but I would guess it is just marketing.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
When filtering your oil, what micron size do you all go down to?

As I understand it, the donaldson filter is really good on the vegiestroke system, so how many microns should I filter down to before putting it in my tank?

anybody know why it is vegiestroke and not veggiestroke? people have been asking if it is spelled wrong on the sticker on my truck
Your filtering standards will dictate how often you have to change your Donaldson filter. There is no rules set for "how fine you have to filter your oil", the donaldson will catch what you don't remove, that being the case, you could actually not filter at all but you will be stopped on the side of the highway every 500-800 miles changing a filter...in the rain...in the snow...etc.
I filter to 5 microns and i am currently at around 7500 miles on my Donaldson filter. If i only got 5000 miles, that would not be bad either. These filters will cost you between 11.00 to 21.00 depending on where you buy them. I personally have had a filter clogg on me whil driving to Hot Springs AR and i had to pull off on the shoulder and change the filter. This is not a hard job but it is messy. The amount of vegi oil that spills from the filter is probably close to a 1/2 gal. and that all runs around on the pavement and makes it very difficult to lay under the truck without soaking up a few pints in your shirt. Vegi oil should not be (legally) dumped on the ground as it is considered a hazerdous material...not that its poisonous but it can contaminate ground and runoff water just the same as any other type of oil.

It's not spelled vegiestroke OR veggiestroke...its spelled Vegistroke.
Vegi is short for Vegitable...one G and no ie...just i

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used to filter to 5 micron nominal but now I filter to 1 micron absolute. The difference as Clay indicated is the length between filter changes. My vegoil filters are $23.00 each :crazy: so extending the change interval is the prudent thing to do. There is nothing worse than having to change my vegoil filter while on the road at night during a rain storm. Been there...Done that! :tard: I carry a steel pan with me to catch the drips when changing filters then pour it in to an empty 1 gallon plastic water bottle which doubles as my aux tank overflow bottle since my aux tank is heated.

·
Registered
891 Posts
There is nothing worse than having to change my vegoil filter while on the road at night during a rain storm. Been there...Done that! :tard:
Just curious as to how your system works. In a situation like you mentioned above do you have the ability to switch back to diesel and bypass the clogged vegoil filter?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just bought a 95 with the Lovecraft system. I am already thinking of some slight mods to the system. What is the Donaldson filter?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now now..... I didn't have it converted, I bought it with the system already in place. "dont kill the messenger" I respect your opinion and I have also heard the same opinions about Lovecraft. Lets get back to my real question. What is the Donaldson filter?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
The donaldson filter is a canister filter used on alot of big rigs. Can be bought at CAT parts houses or any filter specialty store. I'll see if i can find a picture of mine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice set-up. Hey Clay for backyard filtering..... I filtered down to 200 microns then yesterday I tried to filter with 5 micron sock and it was way to slow. The oil was slightly heated. Should I go say 200 then 100 then 50 ect....

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Nice set-up. Hey Clay for backyard filtering..... I filtered down to 200 microns then yesterday I tried to filter with 5 micron sock and it was way to slow. The oil was slightly heated. Should I go say 200 then 100 then 50 ect....
Are you using a gravity setup? What does slightly heated mean?

Skip the steps, just filter it to the micron rating your trying to achieve for a final product.
I use a pump to push the oil through a 5 micron filter. The pressure builds to around 10 psi with the oil heated to 110* and if its cooler than that, say 90* the pressure is too high for my compfort (approaching 20 psi) so 20* makes a huge differnce.

Heres my fiter set up
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/bio-diesel-alternative-fuels-supplements/44868-my-fitration-unit-wvo-use.html

·
Registered
122 Posts
So I set up two 5 micron filter socks above my open barrel. I poured my veg in and it started flowing fairly well through the filters. Then it started to flow SUPER slow. drip. drip. drip....until finally it is all through. So what do you guys think? Am I missing something or am I ready? Also, what if I hooked up my pump to say a Goldenrod filter and pushed it through that way, would it go any faster with some pressure behind it? Thanks. '95 7.3PSD

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
So I set up two 5 micron filter socks above my open barrel. I poured my veg in and it started flowing fairly well through the filters. Then it started to flow SUPER slow. drip. drip. drip....until finally it is all through. So what do you guys think? Am I missing something or am I ready? Also, what if I hooked up my pump to say a Goldenrod filter and pushed it through that way, would it go any faster with some pressure behind it? Thanks. '95 7.3PSD
Yes, using a goldenrod filter woulf be faster. HEat the oil to 110* and pump it.
Those filters can only be found in 10 micron i believe so maybe use that first and then pour through the sockfilter while its still hot.
Longer settling time may be required so you can settle out more junk before filtering.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think I am getting somewhere! So my two 5 micron socks are finally empty. After close review of the inside....WOW! What a mess inside. I ran my finger inside and pulled out gross butter "stuff". Now I know why everything slowed up. My next step was to take a new 5 micron sock and pull out 1 of my containers of oil that was settling for about 10 days. No heat at all as I am in So. Cal at about 70*. Just before the pour I took a good look at the bottom of my clear container. There was that butter "stuff" on the bottom. So I poured down to where I thought the butter was going to infiltrate. Not epic BUT a pretty good success.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I think I am getting somewhere! So my two 5 micron socks are finally empty. After close review of the inside....WOW! What a mess inside. I ran my finger inside and pulled out gross butter "stuff". Now I know why everything slowed up. My next step was to take a new 5 micron sock and pull out 1 of my containers of oil that was settling for about 10 days. No heat at all as I am in So. Cal at about 70*. Just before the pour I took a good look at the bottom of my clear container. There was that butter "stuff" on the bottom. So I poured down to where I thought the butter was going to infiltrate. Not epic BUT a pretty good success.
Exactly! Now your head up to the top of this learning curve on filtering...
That "butter" is probably flour/batter and animal fat etc.

Does it taste more like corn meal or flour?

:hehe:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the help Clay! I didn't taste the "butter" but I used it for my face as my night time beauty mask. Dont know what looks worse my filters or my face! Going to run my 5micron filtered veg tomorrow in my rig. Cant wait.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts