Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have found lots of restaurants with the huge oil collection tanks! well i am going to get a trailer and have a 250 gallon tot in there with a pump to pump the oil. i need to get a pump but what can i use:dunno:

I want to get a bio machine in the garage and but i was wondering how long can the vegi oil set around before it goes bad???

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Honda makes an awsome gas powered pump...looks like a weed eater motor an i will pump 36 gallons per minute IIRC. I have used one and it will fill your 250 tote in less time than it will take you to get it out and hook it up.
Vegi will store for months...cool is best, dark is better, no oxygen in the containers is ideal.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so it could sit in say my barn in the dark cool atmospher for 6 months and it would still be ok?? I figured i better get collecting before all hell brakes lose when people start getting this kits. i can buy the fuel meister2 for about 3k which is the same as one vegi system and with three psd's in the garage and countless diesel engines at my dads company i think this is more the route for us. 80 gallons a day i can make and at about 1 dollar a gallon

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
ok so it could sit in say my barn in the dark cool atmospher for 6 months and it would still be ok?? I figured i better get collecting before all hell brakes lose when people start getting this kits. i can buy the fuel meister2 for about 3k which is the same as one vegi system and with three psd's in the garage and countless diesel engines at my dads company i think this is more the route for us. 80 gallons a day i can make and at about 1 dollar a gallon
Yes, keep it in the barn if its cool. Fill the storage containers to the very top to remove any air or inject some other form of non oxygen gas. No oxygen, no polymerization.
You can make 80 gallons a day but you won't have time for anything else in life. Bio-D takes considerable time to process a batch.
clay they need to make you the vegi tech!!!:thumb:
LMAO

Have you heard much about the FUELmeister II?
Nope, sure don't

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, keep it in the barn if its cool. Fill the storage containers to the very top to remove any air or inject some other form of non oxygen gas. No oxygen, no polymerization.
You can make 80 gallons a day but you won't have time for anything else in life. Bio-D takes considerable time to process a batch.
LMAO

Nope, sure don't
from the website they tell me it takes 6-8 hours for a 40 gallon batch. this machine will measure all the chemicals and methane. also it says it only takes 1 man hour to make a batch and the machine does the rest.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
from the website they tell me it takes 6-8 hours for a 40 gallon batch. this machine will measure all the chemicals and methane. also it says it only takes 1 man hour to make a batch and the machine does the rest.
I don't believe that. Sciulli says otehrwise IIRC.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well i have found lots of restaurants with the huge oil collection tanks! well i am going to get a trailer and have a 250 gallon tot in there with a pump to pump the oil. i need to get a pump but what can i use:dunno:
Build a Super Sucker. It sucks oil faster than any pump can viscous or thin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
fuelmeister 2

I have one of those meisters...it works good but yes you have to spend some time with it...more than an hr of hands on. :)

I am thinking of getting a vegistroker kit in addition to it... I have had no problems with the bio but if the cost of methanol and lye go up ...then all bio makers are screwed!!

Chenry....I have been reading on here for quite some time and yes you seem to be the man for answers reguarding the vegi system. I thought I read somewhere here that you had just about the ideal system for dewatering and cleaning....would you mind sharing your settup?

Also do you know if I can run my bio in the vegi system? I'm going to be needing a heated tank this winter and it gets pretty cold up here in North Dakota. thanks in advance...Mike

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Ehh the fuel miesters are crap and not worth the money. Either build your own or go balls out and by an automated system. Plastic conical tanks have no business in biodiesel production. They can melt, fail and cause harm to property. Stick with metal, its safer for everyone.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya there is a guy here in my town that has a vegi stroke and the fuel meister! the fuel meister is setting in a old bathroom collecting cobwebs! he said for the money that i should get the vegi stroke system! This has been a hard decision but it seems like the vegi stroke hands down is the best investment. I am going to do the vegi!!

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Ya there is a guy here in my town that has a vegi stroke and the fuel meister! the fuel meister is setting in a old bathroom collecting cobwebs! he said for the money that i should get the vegi stroke system! This has been a hard decision but it seems like the vegi stroke hands down is the best investment. I am going to do the vegi!!
What changed your mind, a month ago you were totally opposed to running anything but diesel in your truck?
A month is hardly enough time to research and school yourself.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What changed your mind, a month ago you were totally opposed to running anything but diesel in your truck?
A month is hardly enough time to research and school yourself.
thats when diesel was only 3.50 a gallon. Its been kinda been really lost on what i really wanted to do. I really dont like the idea of having to put those switches on the dash and the tank and all of the cluttered. but the neighbor is running it on his truck and it is firguring him .46 cents a gallon to filter and stuff and he ordered a extra system so i am trying to research all i can on it. plus you guys arent having any problems with it so i figured i wouldnt be a ginypig on this. Diesel prices arent going to stop rising so i need to do something or other the truck is going to sit! I am really not worried about the system on the truck its filter and making it usable is what i am trying to work on. I am going to let the neighbor filter it so i dont have that expense and the mess. and he is going to build a new filtration system so i am going to show him your great writeup on your filtration system:thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
thats when diesel was only 3.50 a gallon. Its been kinda been really lost on what i really wanted to do. I really dont like the idea of having to put those switches on the dash and the tank and all of the cluttered. but the neighbor is running it on his truck and it is firguring him .46 cents a gallon to filter and stuff and he ordered a extra system so i am trying to research all i can on it. plus you guys arent having any problems with it so i figured i wouldnt be a ginypig on this. Diesel prices arent going to stop rising so i need to do something or other the truck is going to sit! I am really not worried about the system on the truck its filter and making it usable is what i am trying to work on. I am going to let the neighbor filter it so i dont have that expense and the mess. and he is going to build a new filtration system so i am going to show him your great writeup on your filtration system:thumb:
If you don't know for sure how to filter and dewater oil, how do you know your neighbor is doing it properly?
You better learn a few things to look for when it comes to filtering or you may end up with watery oil. Are you familiar with the hot pan test? Google it and research it. Filtering is not complicated, heat it and run it through a filter...dewatering is a little more of a debatable issue amoung the WVO community. Research it and research it some more and draw your own educated conclusion.
Believe only half of what you read and be skeptical of the other half when it comes to this subject. I offer lots of information on this subject but i don't expect people to believe every word of it untill they research on there own and decide for themselfs to trust my words or not. Although I would not pass along any bogus information nor would i comment on somehting if i wasn't sure, you really have no way to know that untill you learn some on your own.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:agree: He explained it to me and he actually is having a guy from the college (brains) do most of the work he showed me that he is filtering it to 1 micron and showed me the pan and everything. this guy cleans restaurant duct work in the kitchen so he has a great oil source!

I dont me to be noisy but what did your setup cost around. Do you have to have a special hwh? I got 2 i can get my hands on.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
The HWH is a standard elec. heater. if you have one already you will save some $$$ I have $360 in the filter housing, $200 in the HWH and $240 in the pump.
There is a clear water pump for 29 bucks on Northerntool.com i am going to try and if you were to use one of those you could save alot of $$$ I hear they work fine but am skepticle of the price. For 30 bucks its worth trying.
I also have around 100 bucks in plumbing valves and fittings.

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have some time to visit with you and do some research on it. Like i said he ordered a spare system so i have the opp. to get it

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
If your confident he is filtering his oil well (sounds like you are) then go for it. But I would still suggest reading and learning from others mistakes.
If you have time, get on the forum at Frybrid.com and read. Lots of folks there that have been doing this for years. I learned most of what I know there.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts