Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I now have my system and tank. :woot::woot: I hope to have it installed next week. I will let you all know how it goes :thumb:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Kick A$$ Seabass, let us all know how it goes!!! I predict a smile on your face for the next 6 - 8 months every time you pass a filling station and see people filling up with $4.50+ per gallon diesel!!! I have a permanent grin!!!

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I have a question on veggie fuel. If you get your tanks dipped buy the state can they tell that it is not 100% reg diesel. If they can tell wouldn't you be subject to a fine for tax evasion? Just like running red fuel and not paying the road tax?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I have a question on veggie fuel. If you get your tanks dipped buy the state can they tell that it is not 100% reg diesel. If they can tell wouldn't you be subject to a fine for tax evasion? Just like running red fuel and not paying the road tax?
You are still buying diesel fuel. Tell them to stick your stock tank and it will have regular diesel in it. The vegi oil may cause questions but tell them you just left a turkey fry and are going to dump the grease at the renderers. :D

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You are still buying diesel fuel. Tell them to stick your stock tank and it will have regular diesel in it. The vegi oil may cause questions but tell them you just left a turkey fry and are going to dump the grease at the renderers. :D
Exactly, you still have to buy regular diesel and you will have regular diesel in your stock tank. Even if you had a tonneau cover over your bed they probably wouldn't know you were even running veggie....

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Although it's not enforced, we are all essentially breaking the law. Raw Vegetable oil is not approved by the EPA as a highway fuel, and we are evading the road taxes..........cool, huh?!?:D

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Although it's not enforced, we are all essentially breaking the law. Raw Vegetable oil is not approved by the EPA as a highway fuel, and we are evading the road taxes..........cool, huh?!?:D
I'm not evading any road tax.
I usually buy 1/2 tank of diesel per 1000 miles for my commute to work each month...which translates into 71 MPG of diesel, how is that any different than these new cars that use less fuel and get really good fuel milage?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Exactly, you still have to buy regular diesel and you will have regular diesel in your stock tank. Even if you had a tonneau cover over your bed they probably wouldn't know you were even running veggie....
Even if you don't have your bed covered its doubtful that you'd be bothered about the secondary tank unless the officer was having a reeeeeeally bad day, or you're going out of your way to be a jerk. As for whether or not you're actually evading road tax, think of it this way. A Prius functions part time on a gasoline engine and part time on electric motors. When the vehicle is running on electric power no gasoline is being consumed, which essentially results in the vehicle traveling over the road without paying road tax. The electricity is generated by the vehicle's alternator (which is driven by the gasoline engine), and regenerative braking (which is kinetic energy produced by the movement of the vehicle), so while one could make the argument that all of that energy comes from burning road taxed fuel, directly or indirectly, it's also apparent that the vehicle could not generate electrical power or utilize regenerative braking if the road taxed fuel wasn't purchased and burned in the first place.

So what am I saying here? Basically, until they invent a diesel engine that can start up and shut down on vegetable oil, requiring no road taxed fuel at all, your truck functions as a "hybrid" on a two tank system. However, I wouldn't advertise beyond telling your friends "Hey check this out!" There have been too many stories of people who made the 11 o'clock news or the local papers running their car on grease only to get a knock at the door from the bureau of taxation...

Raw Vegetable oil is not approved by the EPA as a highway fuel
From Wikipedia:

The conversion of an automobile engine to burn vegetable oil is not legal under US Environmental Protection Agency guidelines.[7] The EPA has not fined anyone for doing so, but certain laws may have to change — or a certification process may need to be established — before VO conversions become more popular in the US.

As of right now it's a gray area as would be home production of ethanol to fuel a vehicle. The EPA establishes guidelines with regards to motor fuels as far as allowable emissions, etc...so technically using something that they have not tested and approved isn't really meeting their guidelines, but to my knowledge there are no laws on the books specifically PROHIBITING the use of vegetable oil in a vehicle, but that of course may change. Essentially these laws are in place so that Joe Blow doesn't just dump any old liquid that will burn into his vehicle, spewing who knows what into the atmosphere. There are substances we come in contact with everyday that aren't harmful at all-unless you burn them and they chemically change into something nasty. Case in point-plastics. Plastics are in practically everything we use-hell we sit on foams and plastics in our cars, chairs, etc... You can touch them, rub them in your face-no harm done right? Now, would you want to inhale the smoke from burning plastic? Anyway, once again I think the rule of thumb is if you're ever pulled over, or even dipped, I would make no mention of the system to the authorities, nor would I tell the guys at the state inspection facility...you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
correct, difference being that electric hybrids are approved for road use, vegetable oil is not. I was just making a joke, but in reality it is illegal to run veg on the highway. There have been several articles on this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts