Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do i have to do a dpf delete pipe to run a 50/50 mixture of veg oil and diesel? I've heard you dont have to if your doing a percentage of veg oil and diesel, but if you are running it 100% straight you do need too!? Can anyone fill me in on this... I have 3 non-epa diesels (2007.5 and older) that have been running veg oil now for over 65k miles and not one thing wrong whatsoever, so now im curious to find out whether i need to rip off these emissions on my new truck (6.4L) for this to work?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't have the answer, but are you just running 50/50 in your tank?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The dpf is not gonna know what your runnin in the tank. Its just gonna burn it off when it gets built up in the exhaust. I know the 6.4 is a much more complicated engine than the 6.0 and might not react well to vegi blends. I run a blend in my 6.0 @ 50% with no issues as of yet. Might want to do more research before you feed it to the 6.4.
Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, i havent put it in my tank as of yet... as far as my other trucks go though... I am running 100% veg oil in my non-turbo 7.3L and 100% veg oil in my 02 5.9L Cummins and about 60/40 in my 05 5.9L cummins (just easing my way up to 100%)... As far as the new diesels go i talked to some guys doing 50/50 in there 6.7L cummins with roughly 10k miles running veg oil.... Yes i do know that the 6.4L is much more intense then previous enginges (just look at our engines bays, there is no room in them at all) but it is a diesel.... As soon as i research this enginge and get some more info im probably going to have a go at it... so please embrace me with your knowledge

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I have been running 30% bio....and sometimes a bit more in my truck for the last 3500 or so miles...no issues at all.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Says it right in my sig that my DPF is gone.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
He may have signatures turned off. :dunno:
LOL..True....my bad for being an arsehole...

Yes I have the DPf deleted.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I did have my sig turned off but I changed that now. So no1 else besides pahrump has done alternate fuel, especially with the price of diesel fuel going up?! Don't forget the first diesel ever built was ran on peanut oil built by Rudolph Diesel....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey guys..... I'm new to this whole bio fuel deal but can one of you explain it to me or point me to a site where I can read about?? I have no problem reading to learn :).

Do you just dump straight veg oil in the tank and then mix it with 50-70% diesel fuel and you're good to go??

Thanks,
Gerry

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Theres a section here with bio info....and a few other forums....check the section here and you will find the links to the other forums about bio.

I make bio in an appleseed processor, so I am not running straight WVO, its actually "refined" per say....into bio diesel.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ok so this is off topic and sorry if for hijacking this. lol.
But i was thinking of running my front tank on diesel and rear on veg.
and i would start it on diesel then drive on veg and when im close to home switch it back to diesel. this way i have diesel in my engine and lines so that. if it gums up in the winter or because of bacteria my i can still drive on diesel till i clean it.
so my question is... what would i need to make this happen?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
and i would start it on diesel then drive on veg and when im close to home switch it back to diesel. this way i have diesel in my engine and lines so that. if it gums up in the winter or because of bacteria my i can still drive on diesel till i clean it.
First off, 2 tanks. :bolt::)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know a number of people that do exactly what you said. They have a tank for veg oil and and a tank for diesel. To start the engine they use the tank with the diesel in it and then switch it over to the veg oil tank with an auxillary switch after they start it and then before they get to their end location they just switch it back to diesel to get the diesel in the engine and through the lines to be able to start it next time they take out the truck out. They also have a heater hooked up to the veg oil tank to thin it out. Next time i talk to them ill find out more info on it, but their set up was fairly easy to do they said.

I just briefly looked at this website and it gave some info Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I like the idea, know anyone who has tried it on an '08 ?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Interested to learn about this myself.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You guys need to check out the alternative fuel section... from what I've been reading the 6.4 is a much more complicated motor than the 6.0 (obviously) and is a lot more finicky when it comes to veg oil.

Blending and running right in the tank is also NOT a good idea, I dont care how many miles you've been doing it for, it's a long term negative.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blending and running right in the tank is also NOT a good idea, I dont care how many miles you've been doing it for, it's a long term negative.
Have you personally done this, or is it the "he said she said" type thing...? JW because im doing it myself in a number of trucks along with some other construction companies and i am still trying to learn about it even though i do have some miles under my belt with doing this.... so ide like to know some things to look out for if you personally have done this.... Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts