Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to tackle replacing my oil cooler with a remote oil cooler kit (liquid to liquid cooler). I also have an IPR full flow filter I plan to reinstall inline with the cooler.

I'm struggling to justify doing a full vc-9 flush before the install. In my mind, the oil cooler and the ipr filter have caught everything already and any remnants will be caught by the ipr filter after the install. Feels like a waste of time (precious commodity right now) to do the vc-9 flush first.

I should add, later this summer I will be doing my heads. Ideally I'd do it all at the same time but, again, a timing issue. So, I'll likely be doing new coolant again then...

Any thoughts? Is it stupid to skip this step?

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
JMHO...

If you're doing this due to high deltas and a clogged oil cooler, you obviously have crap in the system and i'd flush it. I would want to start with a clean slate. If you don't have current issues and you're just doing it to convert to the BPD kit, then you could probably skip it.

Like I said...JMO. Other's mileage may vary.

-jokester

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, deltas are climbing. I guess I was hoping the crap head already been caught in the cooler. Suppose your right though. Do it right or do it twice. Just looking for ways to cut the down time.

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
If you are doing a remote oil cooler, I would skip the flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
If you’re counting on skipping a flush, and the oil cooler catches it later, no guarantee it will flush out even if you can access in 30 minutes.

For a chemical flush, I used restore followed by restore +. One does the same as Vc9, the other does silicates. IMHO, do a flush, but no chemical flush. Many of us have clogged oil coolers with a poorly done chemical flush.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Just a distilled flush is fine. In your situation, you're gonna have the IPR filter before the oil cooler, so the damage done by a dirty system will be negligible. A normal flush won't take more than an hour, just pull the thermostat.

You could honestly get away with no flush...

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Just a distilled flush is fine. In your situation, you're gonna have the IPR filter before the oil cooler, so the damage done by a dirty system will be negligible. A normal flush won't take more than an hour, just pull the thermostat.

You could honestly get away with no flush...
I disagree with the hour flush. I think it’ll be more like 12 man hours Over several days. The procedures I follow are in my signature block and require several fills drives and drains with distilled water. I timed the distill flushes with my daily commute.

I did take shortcuts my first time and that ended with a perfectly good oil cooler clogging.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the replies guys. Good to know I'm not alone thinking it should be ok. I even got a spare ipr filter recently so I can do a hot swap if needed. The filter is definitely catching crud and clearly the cooler is clogging so I know my system is dirty. Maybe I'm overthinking the install time, im just nervous about being able to complete before the weekend is done. Adding several hrs of flush to the job when I'm not sure it's necessary is why I'm questioning it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I disagree with the hour flush. I think it’ll be more like 12 man hours Over several days. The procedures I follow are in my signature block and require several fills drives and drains with distilled water. I timed the distill flushes with my daily commute.

I did take shortcuts my first time and that ended with a perfectly good oil cooler clogging.
What is the point of waiting so long, and driving so many miles with distilled?

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
What is the point of waiting so long, and driving so many miles with distilled?
He's talking VC9/Restore flush, and you're talking distilled. You two are going opposite directions 😁

-jokester

Reactions: mlgjellybean123

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
465 Posts
Pulling different coolant hoses over the years on these trucks, it always amazes me the crap that clings to insides of them. I’d want to take the time to flush it out with distilled at minimum if you can budget some time. Pics of your ipr filter install. That’s on my list of to-dos…

·
Administrator
33,880 Posts
i would skip the harsh chemicals and do the Dawn / cascade dw liquid and distilled flush
have the IPR plumbed before the relocated oil cooler coolant inlet so it filters 100 percent of the coolant going to the cooler and check it often at first

this is what I have run for many years

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
i would skip the harsh chemicals and do the Dawn / cascade dw liquid and distilled flush
have the IPR plumbed before the relocated oil cooler coolant inlet so it filters 100 percent of the coolant going to the cooler and check it often at first

this is what I have run for many years
I agree with this idea. But if time is limited, you can skip the flush and at least feel comfort in knowing your filter is working for you before the cooler.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skipped the flush and got torn down to the intake last night. Rain today now so this will slow me down as I'm not in the garage. Our upcoming camping trip was cancelled, taking away the time constraint... So could have done the full flush anyways. Ugh. I will be doing the distilled water flush still.

Now I'm considering just going whole hog and continuing on to do the heads since it feels like I'm half way there with the tear down. Would be nice to get these kdd heads installed and stop worrying about blowing coolant all the time.

Side note, while I had the turbo out, I installed a wicked wheel. I'm hoping this isn't a gimmicky thing as Ive read it helps a little with egt.

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
465 Posts
Do it and do it right. You’re deep in the water, might as well. Says the guy who doesn’t have to do any of the work. As inconvenient as it may be, take pictures. Nerd stuff, man.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Agreed. If you have a set of heads ready to go, you get to skip the machine shop (only if needed, but still) and save a lot of time. But then you jump down the rabbit hole of what to also do while in there. Pushrods, front 4 lifters, HPOP seals and STC fitting (05 and up, don’t remember what yours was).

And yeah, take loads of pictures for yourself and to post on here. Might help someone down the line

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I have a bunch of parts for all the little upgrades. Stc fitting is already done. I did buy new pushrods. What's up with the front 4 lifters? Something I need to address with those?

I'll start taking pics. I thought about it before but there's so many great build threads that I'm referring to as I go. Suppose it doesn't hurt though.

Didn't make a ton of progress today because of my daughters Rugby state championshio game (lost). Literally just need to pull the manifold after I clean out the valley now. I did redo my blue spring mod since the last one bumped psi too high (75+) and it made me nervous it was going to cause injector issues.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just additive, but if you don't already have the high idle mod - this would save time when doing a flush. Remove t Stat and run cycles in the driveway for 5 to 10 mins. May help after you put things back together during preventative maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6LiterTeter
1 - 20 of 22 Posts