Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents

Two years ago I bought a new 09 f250. Had a wheel shop slap on some new shoes. It looked good right up to the point I started blowing valve stems while driving down the highway at speed? I blew two then I had them ALL switched out at another shop. Manager said the ones it came in with were not high pressure. First I have heard of this. True or just sold **** stems? The old stems were chrome with a rubber base. They blew right where the bell is that goes into the rim.

Just curious!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Have them put in the metal valve stems not the rubber stems. Rubber stems aren't rated for the PSI our tires are and will blow them out after a while. You need the good solid steel ones to guarantee no future blowouts.

Something like the following,

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Factory uses rubber stems dont they? My fuels have the rubber valve stems and haven't had an issue, I run them at 55 psi

·
Registered
533 Posts
There are high pressure rubber stems that have a heavy brass core to them. Then there are passenger rated rubber stems that are meant for cars.

High Pressure rubber stem

Normal stem

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Factory uses rubber stems dont they? My fuels have the rubber valve stems and haven't had an issue, I run them at 55 psi
That I don't know. I've never had the factory, picked the truck up from the dealer after the lift, tires and headunit were installed. The tires I have are rated for 50psi and I had similar stems to the ones posted by WildStyle. Not sure what pressure they were rated for but after 4 years of driving, I had two of them start leaking where it meets the wheel. I finally just had steel ones put in like what I posted.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wildstyle is right

1 - 6 of 6 Posts