Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in April I had to "rebulletproof" my 2004 250. This time I went all BPD products because I knew I plan on keeping this truck for quite a long time (it has 150k miles). I took it to a local shop because I had heard good things about them from some people I know. Well they do all the work and took my money and within 100 miles of all the work, I bent a push rod and broke a rocker. I called the shop back they towed it to their place and he called me back telling me his computer told him it was just an injector. I don't think they even started it. You could the hear the cylinder through the intake when it was running. He finally bought on to my argument that it wasn't an injector and pulled the valve cover. I didn't hear back from him that day. I stopped by the shop on my way home from work and he had replaced the push rod and rocker that broke. He didn't charge me which made me happy at the time.

So fast forward to last week. I went to change the oil for the first time since the work was done and on the drain plug magnet I found a valve retainer. The truck runs fine. Which made me start thinking. There is no way he pulled the head back off when the rocker broke, he had it fixed in a couple hours. So how do I have a retainer in my oil pan? Did one shoot off when the rocker broke and somehow for 5000 miles one retainer held the valve in place?

I'm kind of uncertain what to do at this point. I don't want to drive the truck and that retainer that is somehow holding on drops the valve. I feel like I should pull the valve cover and check to make sure everything is still fine, but I also feel like the head might need to come back off because if it lost a retainer when the rocker broke its possible the piston hit the valve and I have a matter of time before something else bad happens. I plan to call the shop back in the morning and asked if they dropped one but Im not sure how much to trust them, they sure didnt tell me they dropped one when it first happened.

Do yall have any advice on what my next step should be?

·
Registered
252 Posts
So what you have is a valve keeper. The two keepers go around the valve stem and hold the retainer in place against spring pressure.

I would not drive the truck. I would take the keeper and go to his shop. Show it to him and demand they come get the truck and check all the work they have done. Mistakes happen but losing a valve keeper should not be one of them. I guess the rocker could have broke and displaced a keeper but that doesn't sound right.

This is why I do allmy own work.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree I would not drive the truck. Valve keepers rarely pop and while it’s usually a poor install of them, the rocker flailing with possible contact with the retainer rather then the stem could pop one loose.

If it was mine first I’d pull both covers to not only find its home, but check them all. I would expect the earlier problem child.

We have an interference fit engine, so if the piston is at top dead center, the valve can only drop 0.030-0.050” or so depending on the cam. So it’s possible to use the OTC tool for pushing the valves down to replace a pushrod or rocker to get clearance to clear the valve of the keeper position. The groove in the valve would need to be checked that it still has a good groove to hold the retainer.

There also is a tool that can grab the valve spring and compress it, it looks like a jaw puller. But that tool greatly depends on the clearance between the spring coils, so I’m not sure it would works on the 6.0.

Reactions: Hydro
1 - 3 of 3 Posts