Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, a buddy took his truck to a reputable shop lately and was told that they might have to pull the cab to fix a stripped bolt on the rocker box that holds on the valve cover.

I call bullshit on this, but I want to be corrected if wrong.

is that the only way to thread or helicoil on the passenger side rear, or is there another non $3000 way?

trucks a 2005 excursion like mine...just not as cool!

bench

·
Registered
482 Posts
Passenger side rear is a pita to deal with. I guess you could pull the fender liner and hvac system to see if you can get to it that way, otherwise, probably a cab off thing. Also, you could probably pull the cab yourself and get the whole project done in a day. Add new bushings, fresh coolant and whatever else that needs the cab lifted and your miles ahead in maintenance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Passenger side rear is a pita to deal with. I guess you could pull the fender liner and hvac system to see if you can get to it that way, otherwise, probably a cab off thing. Also, you could probably pull the cab yourself and get the whole project done in a day. Add new bushings, fresh coolant and whatever else that needs the cab lifted and your miles ahead in maintenance.
Well, if the cabs coming off it sounds like this will be someone else’s problem lol

he’s just gonna sell it at a loss...I told him to do that anyways...6.0’s and Fords in general are money pits

bench

·
Registered
893 Posts
You could probably pull the motor mount on the opposite side and let it rock over for clearance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could probably pull the motor mount on the opposite side and let it rock over for clearance.
One would think...but finding a tech to do it is another thing entirely

bench

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other ideas?

the guy just had it deleted, studded, lifted and did a bulletproof air to oil oil cooler less than a year ago.

I hate to use my current bitterness towards ford to make him ditch his ride.

bench

·
Registered
524 Posts
One would think...but finding a tech to do it is another thing entirely

bench
If he's not willing to do it himself, or pay the price to have it done, he probably shouldn't own a diesel period. Let alone a 6.0

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also, if you want a simple fix that could potentially work. Start with a new gasket and coat both sides with "the right stuff."
And how positive are you the leak is the valve cover and not the glowplug harness?
Is any of the bolt sticking up at all? Or is it below the lower valve cover box?

Reactions: benchmstr

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, if you want a simple fix that could potentially work. Start with a new gasket and coat both sides with "the right stuff."
And how positive are you the leak is the valve cover and not the glowplug harness?
Is any of the bolt sticking up at all? Or is it below the lower valve cover box?
100% positive beyond any doubt he has leaking valve covers

bench

·
Registered
893 Posts
He would have to get creative to replace the engineered compression of the stock bolts, but I’m pretty sure these are 6mm, so you could probably take a slightly larger 1/4” TapTite self tapping screw and run it down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If he's not willing to do it himself, or pay the price to have it done, he probably shouldn't own a diesel period. Let alone a 6.0

Nobody should be willing to pay over $3grand for Leaking valve cover unless it requires new rocker boxes.

ford owners are just accustomed to being ripped off so it’s normal...has nothing to do with a “diesel thing”

bench

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,782 Posts
speak for yourself please. not all areas of the country are the same. not all techs are the same. not all owners are the same.

Reactions: 79jasper

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
speak for yourself please. not all areas of the country are the same. not all techs are the same. not all owners are the same.
The internet has made the world a small place so that statement doesn’t hold much water...

bench

·
5,782 Posts
IMO you are mistaken. Sounds like whoever messed the bolt up needs to own up to it (and what's up with the issue being one valve cover and then a later post saying valve covers plural). Just seems like two people need to sell their Fords and move on..

Reactions: 79jasper

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IMO you are mistaken. Sounds like whoever messed the bolt up needs to own up to it (and what's up with the issue being one valve cover and then a later post saying valve covers plural). Just seems like two people need to sell their Fords and move on..
Ford already bought back the $80k king ranch I purchased that didn’t last 3000 miles before it dropped a valve and took out the whole engine. I just replaced it with a high country duramax and am much happier.

the excursion is also very much for sale...trust me pal...the ford game is for straight up morons...and I’m not spending another day as a moron.

bench

·
5,782 Posts
too late

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some of us are slow learners...other like yourself, never learn..have fun adding to that signature lol

bench

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm waiting for the Craigslist link so I can buy this totalled valve cover leaking POS.
I've got 288k on mine and no complaints. Your concerns should be why someone broke the bolt in the head, not why Ford engineers didn't leave easy access to every bolt on the engine. How much you selling it for???

·
5,782 Posts
I'm waiting for the Craigslist link so I can buy this totalled valve cover leaking POS.
I've got 288k on mine and no complaints. Your concerns should be why someone broke the bolt in the head, not why Ford engineers didn't leave easy access to every bolt on the engine. How much you selling it for???
VERY well said.

Like you, 222k miles and never had a problem with my truck (14 years old now)....injectors are still original. This 6.0L is the best truck I have ever owned and I have kept both of my other Ford diesel trucks to over 250k miles and at least 15 years. For the most part the key is to do the upgrades for the nuisance reliability issues (FICM, STC fitting, dummy plugs and standpipes, fuel pressure), and then it is up to how they are maintained. I have quite a bit more power and it is still VERY reliable.

IMO someone helped someone else tighten a bolt because of a leak instead of taking it back to the original shop. Now the blame is being placed on Ford instead of on someone that doesn't use a torque wrench.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts