Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im leaking some oil and i believe its because the gasket is no good, i tried to tighten the bolts on the valve cover but it didnt help much, so im going to replace the valve cover gasket. Was wondering how much time im looking at to change one, just didnt want to start it if i couldnt finish it. So maybe some one can give me a rough estimate at how long?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any one have any idea on the time im looking at to change one ?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
if your decent, about an hour per side, there is just stuff you have to move, and bad angles. I can tear my valves apart in less then an hour, but also ford will have that gasket.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ford wants like $130 for the dang gasket, i can get one ordered online for $60 Thanks for the help, i should get it done this weekend, the only problem i have is that damn cover is a pain to get off due to were the bolts are on it.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Where is the leak actually coming from? You need to pull the covers and see if the gasket is actually damaged. Doubt it is. You'll need a 13 mm socket and a swivel for the back ones and a ratchet wrench makes short work of the 2 under the CCV and the 2 next to the A/C stuff on the passenger side. There are 10 bolts on each cover, don't forget one and go yanking on stuff!

If you can wait... get the gasket off line... I had to bite the bullet ad get back on the road and paid $160 for mine, and then $160 for the Under valve cover wiring harness.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im almost 100% sure its the gasket, its coming from the passenger side valve cover near the back, i tightend all the bolts and they all seemed tight but one so i go it as tight as i could and it still leaks, so i think its the gasket what else could it be ? Yea its not a huge leak just about 3-6 drops a day its just a pain, and its leaving oil spots on the floor in my barn. If you dont think its the gasket what do you think it is ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
did both of mine yesterday, took about 2 1/2 hrs. got gaskets from I/H dealer $45 each. not as difficult as i thought it was goin to be.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Get a 13 mm ratchet wrench and use that on the last two on the bottom side. A swivel aand shallow 13mm work on the far back one, and the rest you can get to easily.

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
It's the gasket or the plug at the back of the heads?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost 100% sure its the gasket, is there a bolt on the back of the cover (by the firewall, on the passenger side)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts