Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought another 1997 F-250 with a powersroke engine/auto. Only has 170-k miles...
Engine turns over great but will not start unless I juice it up, then it fires right off and runs GREAT. Turn it off and try to restart, NO LUCK until i juice it again!
Checked for blow by under the cap while running and found a smell like a wire buring. Pulled the cover and found the valve cover gasket has a burned spot between the plugs on the front connector! Would this cause my no start without juice problem or do I need to look at something else????:dunno:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Well, if you have a burnt harness I would replace it anyway. It could be the problem or not. But it will creat others soon.

I bought my gasket and harnesses from Pensacola Diesel Inc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The actual harness looks good, the gasket just has a burnt spot where harness plug into it, it does not have any melted plastic on the plugs anywhere.. So do I still need the complete harness??

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah replce it. It's all off now. It's like this spend some now, or a lot later. imo! Could be the problem, possible bad connection in the plug.

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Where are you in Texas? If there is an International dealer close by get the parts from them as they tend to be a lot cheaper than Ford.

Also, what do you mean by "juice it"? Are you referring to jumping it?
Craig

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FT.WORTH, TEXAS

I hate to claim I did it, but I juiced it with WD-40.. The is a International dealer about 10 mins. from my office. I checked the website that someone above sent me, but even Ford in cheaper on the actual gaskets than they were. I bought some from Ford in Jan. for another truck and they was around $80.00 for both. But I never had to buy the harness.

Thanks

·
Banned
732 Posts
Have you pulled the glowplugs and tested them? You may also have low pressure in the HPOP system. It needs to see 500 psi before it turns on the fuel. With a shot of WD it may start because the WD is spinning the motor fast enough to develop 500 psi, then the fuel turns on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.